How can you tell if someone has download spyware on your computer?

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
well alot of times you can't, but if you use a Firewall and good Antivirus, you should be ok, But if you are talking about just spyware, I think you should download a program called Ad-aware it will help you alot.  goto google.com and search for Ad-aware.

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
ok start the program there will be check boxes, check both of the boxes under Scan Registry, and under scan Drive, check C (fixed), then click scan. after it scans it will give you a list of the spyware check the boxes and click continue, and it will ask you if you want to delete the files click yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, actually, had someone spoof my ip address, hack into my computer, even though I have a great firewall, and virus programs, gather personal information on me (ie. credit cards, SSN, etc.) I know who it is, but I can't prove it, and I want my info back! This person REALLY scares me, and is dangerous.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't floating in spam....but I kept getting pop-up ads. And my PC at work isn't the world's fastest thing in the world. The pop-ups would just slow everything down...I couldn't do anything while an ad was loading. And it really frustrated me one day when all I had open and running was Lotus Notes for e-mail and here came a pop-up ad.

RAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the students working told me about Ad-Aware. I found it, downloaded it, installed it, ran it....and my computer's been running faster and I haven't had an unexpected pop-up ad in about 2 months! :)

Great program!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JagSayon

Jun 16, 2002
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by AngelAmidala
One of the students working told me about Ad-Aware. I found it, downloaded it, installed it, ran it....and my computer's been running faster and I haven't had an unexpected pop-up ad in about 2 months! :)

Great program!!!

But I have to say the program might shut off legitimate ads. Examples would be if you visit a company's site and they have a great offer or upgrade to your products in the form of the pop-up ad, then they will be cut off. Thankfully, not many companies do that. :)

With regard to the thread, you might want to try out ZoneAlarm. Its a free download and the beauty of it is ZoneAlarm will ask you whether to give permissions to applications attempting to access the net. Yeah, its bothersome in the beginning to allow Internet Explorer through its firewall but I discovered some sneaky Gator software that 'came' with my other downloads - the tricky little...

Anyway, you be the judge - Get it here!

Jag

Upvote 0