Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It may sound strange, but I have a feeling for the past year that God wants me to work on being more humble. I keep getting hints with bible study, books, threads. I prayed about it and it feels like something I'm supposed to improve.

The problem is this confuses me because I always thought I was a humble person already. I don't have a big ego and I have improved on stopping myself from being slightly snobbish toward certain people (an issue I had years ago that I've overcome). I work on trying not to feel more important than I am, to God and others. I have worked on selfishness a bit, although that's different than humbleness (I'm naturally introverted!) I don't have pride that I can see.

It feels like I'm missing something though.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Any tips?

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I am very selfish. I wish I was even a tiny bit more humble! Thing is, I am a very weak person.

I pray that God can help you my friend. I am sure you are a lot more humble than I am.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
C.S. Lewis perhaps summarized it best:

361190ce031fa685d898f2d716f5fb7e--faith-quotes-quotes-quotes.jpg

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am very selfish. I wish I was even a tiny bit more humble! Thing is, I am a very weak person.

I pray that God can help you my friend. I am sure you are a lot more humble than I am.

I also have the selfish trait to a degree. My mother is an inspiration - she is so much more selfless when it comes to helping people. I will make myself help people in some circumstances, but inwardly cringe because I actually don't feel like doing the right thing sometimes and am just making myself. Overall I don't think I'm that selfish though, especially when it comes to relationships - then I overdo the helping and self-sacrificing to where I feel like a doormat instead and get exhausted. Hard to find a balance.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It may sound strange, but I have a feeling for the past year that God wants me to work on being more humble. I keep getting hints with bible study, books, threads. I prayed about it and it feels like something I'm supposed to improve.

The problem is this confuses me because I always thought I was a humble person already. I don't have a big ego and I have improved on stopping myself from being slightly snobbish toward certain people (an issue I had years ago that I've overcome). I work on trying not to feel more important than I am, to God and others. I have worked on selfishness a bit, although that's different than humbleness (I'm naturally introverted!) I don't have pride that I can see.

I think humbleness is beautiful. I want to be more humble too. I think if you pray to God and ask to be more humble He will help you.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think humbleness is beautiful. I want to be more humble too. I think if you pray to God and ask to be more humble He will help you.

Thank you Bluerose :)

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If I could rewind time it would be great, HE had to humble me and that was a horrible horrible thing, so if the HOLY SPIRIT is nudging you to seek after humility, go for it, I wish I could've learned on my own, instead of BEING HUMBLED. I was like you and thought I was humble, felt the same nudge, thought I was there, BOY was I wrong. I'd be seeking it like a mad man/woman instead of the Almighty humbling you, or at least that's what HE did in my case. Starve the desires of the flesh and let the HS burn it out of ya :oldthumbsup:

22b25db70139df379ae2dbd83ae3770d.jpg

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I could rewind time it would be great, HE had to humble me and that was a horrible horrible thing, so if the HOLY SPIRIT is nudging you to seek after humility, go for it, I wish I could've learned on my own, instead of BEING HUMBLED. I was like you and thought I was humble, felt the same nudge, thought I was there, BOY was I wrong. I'd be seeking it like a mad man/woman instead of the Almighty humbling you, or at least that's what HE did in my case. Starve the desires of the flesh and let the HS burn it out of ya :oldthumbsup:

Exactly. I'm trying to prevent more 'extreme measures' and take the hint - the issue is I'm not sadly not seeing where I'm supposed to improve. Keep hoping for enlightenment. I will start praying more about it too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. I'm trying to prevent more 'extreme measures' and take the hint - the issue is I'm not sadly not seeing where I'm supposed to improve. Keep hoping for enlightenment. I will start praying more about it too.
I will be praying for eyes to see and ears to hear, AMEN :oldthumbsup:

1255e2747b8ae67cf766bb9689f7c5f3.jpg

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good old Wikihow has some suggestions How to Be Humble

Being awed seems like a good one. Being out in nature and being awed by God's creation is quite humbling. It mentions being mindful in conversations and really listening to others. I mostly feel humbled when people with bigger problems than me act with more grace than me. It also suggests spending time with children. I am often humbled by my son's kind and generous nature (although he is not a child he is my child).

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Very good question. I think it's something we all deal with at various times.

Here's a brief NT background on things. There are 3 families of greek words related to this. Here's an oversimplified summary. 1. There are the words (ταπεινος and ταπεινοω) which are related to the idea of being low or the action of being made low. From the BDAG Lexicon, the adjective means a. being of low social status, b. being servile in manner, or c. being unpretentious. The verb basically means to be put into that state. 2. The second family of words are based on the combination of the first family and a word meaning to think of (ταπεινοφρονεω). These basically mean to think in such a manner. 3. The third family of words (πραϋς and πραϋτης) have the meaning (as per BDAG) of "not being overly impressed by a sense of one's self-importance". The NT scriptures where these are used are:
1. adj: Mt 11:29, Lk 1:52, Ro 12:16, 2Co 7:6, 10:1, Jas 1:9, 4:6, 1Pe 5:5,
verb: Mt 18:4, 23:12, Lk 3:5, 14:11, 18:14, 2Co 11:7, 12:21, Php 2:8,4:12, Jas 4:10, 1Pe 5:6.
2. Act 20:19, Eph 4:2, Php 2:3, Col 2:18,2:23,3:12, 1Pe 5:5, 1 Pe 3:18, Lk 1:48, Act 8:33, Php 3:21, Jas 1:10
3. Mt 5:5,11:29,21:5, 1 Pe3:4, 1Co 4:21, 2Co 10:1, Gal 5:23,6:1, Eph 4:2, Col 3:12, 2Ti 2:25, Tit3:2, Jas 1:21, 3:13, 1 Pe 3:16

Our English word humble seems to encompass a wide range of meanings. I'm not really sure how to nail down a single meaning for "humble". It seems to range from actually being in a low state, to being put into that state, to considering one self to be in that state even though we are not.

I think there've been some good posts here that have covered many good points.

Something I've been pondering about is if part of humbleness is perhaps not so much about thinking about ourselves as scum and dirt (I'm exaggerating for effect) and acting that way but rather to have a clear picture of how God sees us as He wants us to be and then acting in accord with that. There is both a negative side (we are sinners, etc.) and a positive side (we are each unique children of God meant to reflect His glory in some way unique to each of us). I wonder if humbleness requires having a clear understanding of who we are right now and who we are meant to become, our strengths and weaknesses, what part is sinner and what part is saint, what part is mature and what part is immature. I always liked a line in one of the Narnia books. I didn't bother to go search for it to get it exact. It was something like "you are a son of Adam, that is enough to shame the greatest king on earth and raise the head of the poorest beggar." I wonder if one part of humbleness is accurately knowing our place before God, both in owning up to the sinful side, as well as thankfully and joyfully accepting the positive side He's given us.

I present this as food for thought rather than a firm opinion.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics