Mar 27, 2011
✟100,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Been exploring the Tetons and Yellowstone this week. Was especially proud of myself for completing a pretty tough hike at the high elevation!
IMG_6164_Original.jpeg

IMG_3592.png

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟955,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
8 lbs down so far, but leaving for a trip tomorrow so I hope I can stay on track!

Any success/progress stories from y’all so far?

I'm nearing my goal and making continued progress. I stopped weighing a couple of months ago. I can look at my body and see the changes. Diet is my primary tool for greater health. I rarely exercise and don't believe its necessary to stay in shape. That begins with the mind and plate.

I don't overeat, count calories or consume low-fat food or supplements. I eat real food devoid of hormones and modifiers that alter the way the Lord made them. No fast food or conveniences. I make my own bread, beverages, snacks and desserts. I don't drink soda and rarely have chips. Most of my food is homemade. That's the primary reason I'm losing weight. The ingredients are good.

When I want a cookie I make a batch and portion the dough in balls and freeze them. I bake a few at a time as desired. Doing it myself allows me to control the ingredients, have a better product and lessen consumption. Sometimes I don't feel like doing the work or the idea makes me say never mind.

I eat twice a day. Sometimes three. I rarely eat between meals and drink water throughout the day. That's my primary beverage. I have a cup of coffee in the morning and that's all. I started making freezer meals a few months ago to have convenient items on hand when I'm busy or tired. They've turned out well and I've done the same with breakfast. I'd like to have a combination of dinners, marinades, breakfast and treats I can pop in the oven when the mood strikes.

I eat what I want and focus on quality in my selections. I make my own brown sugar and vanilla because it tastes better. Preserves and pickles when I'm in the mood and bone broth as needed. I put two birds in a roaster a few months ago and canned the broth and meat separately. It was incredible and I stopped buying it at the store. I haven't made kombucha in awhile but I like it a lot. I make black tea with different infusions. My favorite is chai.

We go to the farmers market a lot. I eat meat (and fish), vegetables, grains/legumes, bread and fruit in that order. For the most part, I don't eat a lot of empty calories or things that put on the pounds. I buy bags of fruits and vegetables. But not the other stuff. There's little to moderateI know what I'm eating, how it was prepared and where it came from.

It's equally important for me to be healthy and the appropriate weight. I value my temple and treat it well.

~bella

Reactions: Plenipotent
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟955,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do struggle sometimes with junk food cravings and still have a long way to go, but my goal is to be at a healthier weight and to be able to look and feel better about myself.

Give up the sugar (white) and you'll stop the cravings. That's why lab rats gain weight when they have it. Switch to dark chocolate. Trader Joes sells Valrhona bars. Grab one and you'll notice the difference. A couple of squares is enough. The satiation point is significantly lower on junk food. That's why we can eat so much.

You'll lose a lot of weight if you give up soda, sugar, chips, snacks and bread. And you'll be healthier if you buy your food from the farmers market instead of the grocery store. Because the soil is dead. You're not getting the nutrients from fruits and vegetables anymore. That's why people aren't losing weight. They have to workout or start juicing to move the needle.

The apple you eat today isn't the same one your parents had. You aren't getting the same benefits they did. There's a commercial on YouTube that goes into detail. It discusses the soil and long-term effects of over harvesting. We don't let it rest.

Animals are given hormones and fed gmo grains to fatten them up and you're getting the same when you have them. If you change the source you'll lessen the struggle. I get most of my food from the farmers market and the majority of dry goods from Azure. I've seen a significant shift in my health and vitality since then.

I've watched a lot of people on diet cycles. They're trying to lose weight, eat clean, go keto, etc. But when I look at France I don't see the same. They have delectable food everywhere. They don't use gmo crops and seasonality is a mainstay. They teach their kids to love their food in primary school. They don't get lunchables, drink boxes or hot dogs. Everything at the market is on their plate and they eat it.

As with most things, the money isn't in the cure. It's in the problem. They have no incentive to make you well. They earn more through medication and diet fads. No one gets fat until we show up. Wherever you find American restaurants there's a correlation of weight gain in that culture. They've documented it.

The Case Against Sugar is a good read on the subject as is The Blue Zones. Pay attention to what happened after he showed up when he revisits. Prior to his arrival they ate the foods native to their culture. But when he returned things were different. Western restaurants came and health problems followed.

If you can start a garden I recommend it. You'll save a lot and can direct money elsewhere. I like Baker Creek's seeds the best. But MIgardener is more affordable. Good luck with your health and weight loss. Keep praying for both.

PS. There's nothing wrong with bread. Wheat's the culprit. It's been modified and causes problems. If you enjoy bread I recommend einkorn or spelt in its place.

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Reactions: TheRealAriel
Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evenings are my weak time. I go through something almost akin to "sundowning", I believe. I tend to feel the most lonely and vulnerable in the evenings. That leads to more impulsive eating and snacking.

I really want to make a concerted effort to make my evenings as low-carb as possible. I love curling up on the couch with a box of crackers, but I will gain weight every. single. time. When I eat light and low-carb in the evenings, I lose weight consistently.

I tried tonight, but didn't quite make it. I had a great, protein-packed salad with some fresh cantaloupe, but then caved in to a bowl of cereal after.

Will try again tomorrow.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟100,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely breathtaking scenery! I've always wanted to visit that part of the U.S. And nearly 14 miles?! Holy heck, woman.
It was very pretty, but definitely my crazy nature-loving sister that took us on the 14 mile hike. I was only mildly grumpy about it ^_^
Evenings are my weak time. I go through something almost akin to "sundowning", I believe. I tend to feel the most lonely and vulnerable in the evenings. That leads to more impulsive eating and snacking.

I really want to make a concerted effort to make my evenings as low-carb as possible. I love curling up on the couch with a box of crackers, but I will gain weight every. single. time. When I eat light and low-carb in the evenings, I lose weight consistently.

I tried tonight, but didn't quite make it. I had a great, protein-packed salad with some fresh cantaloupe, but then caved in to a bowl of cereal after.

Will try again tomorrow.
I’ve never heard that term but I think I experience that too. Mornings feel so much more hopeful and easier to make good choices in. Evenings definitely feel like the time to stream Eras till the wee hours while wishing for a guy to cuddle, mindlessly eating a whole box of hot and spicy cheezits.

Sounds like a good step in the right direction though! Rooting for you!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟100,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Today I officially hit my first 10lbs down! Slow progress, I know… but it’s happening!! If I lose one more lb I’ll officially be the lowest I’ve ever been since buying my Fitbit in 2018.

Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟245,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Today I officially hit my first 10lbs down! Slow progress, I know… but it’s happening!! If I lose one more lb I’ll officially be the lowest I’ve ever been since buying my Fitbit in 2018.
Nice nice!

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was very pretty, but definitely my crazy nature-loving sister that took us on the 14 mile hike. I was only mildly grumpy about it ^_^

I’ve never heard that term but I think I experience that too. Mornings feel so much more hopeful and easier to make good choices in. Evenings definitely feel like the time to stream Eras till the wee hours while wishing for a guy to cuddle, mindlessly eating a whole box of hot and spicy cheezits.

Sounds like a good step in the right direction though! Rooting for you!!
The term is typically used in reference to a mental shift that happens in the late afternoon and evening to people with dementia. It's not really an accurate term for what I experience, but the word itself seems fitting, since it's the same time of day where I start to feel "different".

I'm with you, mornings are the time where I feel the most hopeful and motivated to face the day. I'm glad it's not just me who feels like the next best thing to cuddling someone is cuddling a box of Cheezits, lol. I honestly have to just NOT buy those darn things, they're too tempting.

I did find a new evening workout routine that I'm going to try doing each day. I work out regularly, but it's hard to find good routines for the evening, since getting all hot and sweaty before bedtime is NOT ideal and will ruin my sleep. I love going for walks, but the weather here is horrid in the summer, so walks are out until autumn. This workout is short and gentle, but enough to get the ol' heartrate up and burn off some stress.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,462.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Give up the sugar (white) and you'll stop the cravings. That's why lab rats gain weight when they have it. Switch to dark chocolate. Trader Joes sells Valrhona bars. Grab one and you'll notice the difference. A couple of squares is enough. The satiation point is significantly lower on junk food. That's why we can eat so much.

You'll lose a lot of weight if you give up soda, sugar, chips, snacks and bread. And you'll be healthier if you buy your food from the farmers market instead of the grocery store. Because the soil is dead. You're not getting the nutrients from fruits and vegetables anymore. That's why people aren't losing weight. They have to workout or start juicing to move the needle.

The apple you eat today isn't the same one your parents had. You aren't getting the same benefits they did. There's a commercial on YouTube that goes into detail. It discusses the soil and long-term effects of over harvesting. We don't let it rest.

Animals are given hormones and fed gmo grains to fatten them up and you're getting the same when you have them. If you change the source you'll lessen the struggle. I get most of my food from the farmers market and the majority of dry goods from Azure. I've seen a significant shift in my health and vitality since then.

I've watched a lot of people on diet cycles. They're trying to lose weight, eat clean, go keto, etc. But when I look at France I don't see the same. They have delectable food everywhere. They don't use gmo crops and seasonality is a mainstay. They teach their kids to love their food in primary school. They don't get lunchables, drink boxes or hot dogs. Everything at the market is on their plate and they eat it.

As with most things, the money isn't in the cure. It's in the problem. They have no incentive to make you well. They earn more through medication and diet fads. No one gets fat until we show up. Wherever you find American restaurants there's a correlation of weight gain in that culture. They've documented it.

The Case Against Sugar is a good read on the subject as is The Blue Zones. Pay attention to what happened after he showed up when he revisits. Prior to his arrival they ate the foods native to their culture. But when he returned things were different. Western restaurants came and health problems followed.

If you can start a garden I recommend it. You'll save a lot and can direct money elsewhere. I like Baker Creek's seeds the best. But MIgardener is more affordable. Good luck with your health and weight loss. Keep praying for both.

PS. There's nothing wrong with bread. Wheat's the culprit. It's been modified and causes problems. If you enjoy bread I recommend einkorn or spelt in its place.

~bella

To us poor or with very tight budget, we look at the budget side of things and we're probably getting lots of GMO because GMO is cheap. I still use sugar (brown sugar) in moderation.

Yet I was able to maintain athletic body composition. I do plenty of exercise and practice "dry" intermittent fasting (IF)

The potential risk of GMO to me is cancer. So I do my exercise sessions during the fasting window of IF to switch to ketosis. Ketosis is being investigated for potential application as cancer therapy. However, keto diets are relatively expensive and requires careful management. IF is far more sustainable and simpler for me.

Once, I proposed the idea of building a hydroponics garden inside our apartment as an "investment" and my sister bitterly opposed the idea. I was thinking about it to save money, lower temperatures, and to possibly sell some extra produce to our neighbors for additional source of income, purely DIY to make build cost as low as possible.

All of our richer relatives grow vegetables in their garden but ofc, all of them have large backyard,

I rarely exercise and don't believe its necessary to stay in shape.

True but you still need exercise to have strong bones even if you already have plenty of calcium and vitamin D in your diet.

Exercise will stress the bones to trigger adaptational response to increase density and make it stronger. Things like jogging and free weight lifting or both. You may still remember I ride my bicycle long distances but I also jog and lift weights in addition. Jogging and weight lifting is for building stronger bones. Cycling does nothing to make the bones stronger, it's purely cardio exercise only.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟955,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
To us poor or with very tight budget, we look at the budget side of things and we're probably getting lots of GMO because GMO is cheap. I still use sugar (brown sugar) in moderation.

Yet I was able to maintain athletic body composition. I do plenty of exercise and practice "dry" intermittent fasting (IF)

If you can get your hands on some unrefined sugar add 2 teaspoons of molasses and you'll have brown sugar. You can make it by hand or throw it in a mixer on low for 10 minutes. It never hardens. I'm not sure what they're selling us at the store. But it's richer and moist. They're probably using food coloring and an extract.

The potential risk of GMO to me is cancer. So I do my exercise sessions during the fasting window of IF to switch to ketosis. Ketosis is being investigated for potential application as cancer therapy. However, keto diets are relatively expensive and requires careful management. IF is far more sustainable and simpler for me.

I think it causes many diseases. Years ago the Holy Spirit told me to stop buying bread and baked goods. I had to make them myself or get it from a bakery. He said the yeast is unnatural. It took me a moment to get it. Then I recalled the reenactment shows where they live in different periods.

That's how I landed on sourdough and wild yeast water. A series of rabbit holes followed. I didn't change everything at once. I did a little at a time. The more I learned the more I realized the things I thought were good or harmless weren't beneficial.

I looked into IF but my consumption isn't great as a norm. It would probably mess with my metabolism and stall it. I fast on the sabbath and notice the difference.

Once, I proposed the idea of building a hydroponics garden inside our apartment as an "investment" and my sister bitterly opposed the idea. I was thinking about it to save money, lower temperatures, and to possibly sell some extra produce to our neighbors for additional source of income, purely DIY to make build cost as low as possible.

All of our richer relatives grow vegetables in their garden but ofc, all of them have large backyard,

Why did she say no? That would have blessed you and lowered costs. You could have made extra on the side too. Most people don't want to do it. You'll always have a market. Pray about and see what the Lord does.

We've become too reliant in America and addicted to convenience. My daughter's going to agriculture school and we're moving to the country. I want to have greater control over my food supply and not be dependent on vendors. I love the farmers market but I'd rather raise my own meat and grow our food.

I saw a picture last year of a Whole Foods store on the west coast. You could enter the store normally. But they had a turnstile a few paces away. You could scan your hand or the Amazon app on your phone for access. Otherwise you couldn't get in. You didn't have to pay they already had your information.

These people aren't playing. It's green acres all the way.

True but you still need exercise to have strong bones even if you already have plenty of calcium and vitamin D in your diet.

Exercise will stress the bones to trigger adaptational response to increase density and make it stronger. Things like jogging and free weight lifting or both. You may still remember I ride my bicycle long distances but I also jog and lift weights in addition. Jogging and weight lifting is for building stronger bones. Cycling does nothing to make the bones stronger, it's purely cardio exercise only.

I get exercise. I walk everywhere. I don't go to the gym. Daily activity is enough.

That's why I studied France. I eat like them and French women don't exercise. They walk, take the stairs and moderate their consumption. The culture around food is different there. They value quality and seasonality and portion is ingrained in their psyche. And their seniors are more active too.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,462.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you can get your hands on some unrefined sugar add 2 teaspoons of molasses and you'll have brown sugar. You can make it by hand or throw it in a mixer on low for 10 minutes. It never hardens. I'm not sure what they're selling us at the store. But it's richer and moist. They're probably using food coloring and an extract.

I think it causes many diseases. Years ago the Holy Spirit told me to stop buying bread and baked goods. I had to make them myself or get it from a bakery. He said the yeast is unnatural. It took me a moment to get it. Then I recalled the reenactment shows where they live in different periods.

That's how I landed on sourdough and wild yeast water. A series of rabbit holes followed. I didn't change everything at once. I did a little at a time. The more I learned the more I realized the things I thought were good or harmless weren't beneficial.

I looked into IF but my consumption isn't great as a norm. It would probably mess with my metabolism and stall it. I fast on the sabbath and notice the difference.

Why did she say no? That would have blessed you and lowered costs. You could have made extra on the side too. Most people don't want to do it. You'll always have a market. Pray about and see what the Lord does.

We've become too reliant in America and addicted to convenience. My daughter's going to agriculture school and we're moving to the country. I want to have greater control over my food supply and not be dependent on vendors. I love the farmers market but I'd rather raise my own meat and grow our food.

I saw a picture last year of a Whole Foods store on the west coast. You could enter the store normally. But they had a turnstile a few paces away. You could scan your hand or the Amazon app on your phone for access. Otherwise you couldn't get in. You didn't have to pay they already had your information.

These people aren't playing. It's green acres all the way.

I get exercise. I walk everywhere. I don't go to the gym. Daily activity is enough.

That's why I studied France. I eat like them and French women don't exercise. They walk, take the stairs and moderate their consumption. The culture around food is different there. They value quality and seasonality and portion is ingrained in their psyche. And their seniors are more active too.

~bella

I've tried unrefined sugar with molasses added for 2 month. Liked it at first but the taste did not stick with me. I prefer the taste of dark brown sugar, the kind that is used for baking.

I don't eat bread either but I still eat flour based, non-baked snack I make myself. No yeast/leavening either. I use full grain flour, coarsely ground. I also snack on oatmeal.

I'm not exactly doing this to extend my lifespan but to stretch our resources so there's going to be some holes and imperfections which exercise make up for the rest. In fact, if I stop intense exercise for one week, my blood pressure would go up to unhealthy levels.

My sister didn't like the idea of making our apartment look like a weed lab due to the hydroponics garden! Even if the garden could help ease our financial burdens as free source of food or to sell or both.

It's purely to secure extra source of income, if not, greatly save money on food expenses and improve indoor air quality as we live in a city with high levels of air pollution. But I doubt we'll get GMO-free seeds. Nobody's honest anymore and it's likely even wild species of plants may have been contaminated by GMO's already through their spores, etc.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟955,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've tried unrefined sugar with molasses added for 2 month. Liked it at first but the taste did not stick with me. I prefer the taste of dark brown sugar, the kind that is used for baking.

Dark brown sugar is made with molasses. It has extra added hence the color. I use unsulphured molasses. Blackstrap is too strong and has a noticeable after taste that differs from the brown sugar we're accustomed to.

I don't eat bread either but I still eat flour based, non-baked snack I make myself. No yeast/leavening either. I use full grain flour, coarsely ground. I also snack on oatmeal.

I prefer steel cut oats but my daughter enjoys baked oatmeal. You can add anything and its very filling.

My sister didn't like the idea of making our apartment look like a weed lab due to the hydroponics garden! Even if the garden could help ease our financial burdens as free source of food or to sell or both.

It's purely to secure extra source of income, if not, greatly save money on food expenses and improve indoor air quality as we live in a city with high levels of air pollution. But I doubt we'll get GMO-free seeds. Nobody's honest anymore and it's likely even wild species of plants may have been contaminated by GMO's already through their spores, etc.

Most countries have strict rules on imports. I'd send you some if they'd get through customs. That's unlikely unless you carry them in. Maybe there's a few in your area who could use some help. You could offer it in exchange for produce. Negotiate upfront if you do.

There's still the issue of cross pollination. I can use non gmo seeds but if my neighbor doesn't I'll be affected. Because of the pollinators. The company I like tests their seeds yearly for that reason.

Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟100,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Had my annual drs appointment today! My cholesterol dropped over 40 and the doctor says I am in excellent health. She affirmed that the diet and lifestyle changes I’ve made have made a big impact. I’m feeling really encouraged.

Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟245,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Had my annual drs appointment today! My cholesterol dropped over 40 and the doctor says I am in excellent health. She affirmed that the diet and lifestyle changes I’ve made have made a big impact. I’m feeling really encouraged.
That's awesome, well done!!!!

I'm on like day seven of no caramel sauce lattes, and making efforts for better decisions. Decided to have a little treat tonight, but other than that, I'm doing pretty good.

Upvote 0