Healing/blessing Testimonies Unbiblical?

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Back in the day pork was a thing or sacrificial meat. I would intentionally prepare or eat with them Knowing that they disapprove. I've said all I have to say on this.

It seems like you didn't know about 1 Corinthians 8:13 back then.

But if you knew the verse back then, would you still have eaten pork knowing other Christians would sin? They'd be sinning by being judgmental (disapproving in error), etc.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems like you didn't know about 1 Corinthians 8:13 back then.

But if you knew the verse back then, would you still have eaten pork knowing other Christians would sin? They'd be sinning by being judgmental (disapproving in error), etc.

I would intentionally prepare or eat with them Knowing that they disapprove.
I think I mis-wrote. If I intentionally prepared knowing that they disapprove. Does that make it clearer?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think I mis-wrote. If I intentionally prepared knowing that they disapprove. Does that make it clearer?

It doesn't look as bad as before but now I'm expecting to read something after that sentence. Am I supposed to guess what comes after? sorry I'm not a native English speaker.

But as long as we agree on 1 Corinthians 8:13. It's good. Which doesn't really say we should never eat meat. We can still eat meat if no one around us will get offended or become judgmental or if we're alone.

It's the same thing with testimonies. We can still share our testimonies but I think the activity is better suited in a small group. Better yet, among close family, and close friends (that are also Christians).

Eating with unbelievers to try to win them is a good thing but if other Christians around might stumble if they see you drinking wine with the unbelievers, then don't drink wine. Otherwise, you can drink wine after the Christians who might stumble have left, or when you're alone.

I think the modern church (mega church) setting have become like the scene where the Pharisee goes to a street corner to pray for everyone to be seen. Since everyone around are Jews or Christians (in a mega church setting). It's quite different than how the disciples used to do things, via house gatherings and small groups. Close fellowshipping vs meeting random strangers in a mega church setting. Not debating mega churches. Ironically, I attend one atm.

I think sharing testimonies in such setting can easily become like the Pharisee praying in the corner to be seen by everyone. OR the testimony itself causing some Christians who are listening to stumble. In accordance to 1 Cor 8:13, I think testimonies can only be shared with people we trust or we know will not stumble with our testimony.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm beginning to wonder if you were offended. I thought you had a healing testimony. I've said all I have to about this. I hear you, keep your mouths shut about healing because others may be offended. Sorry, when the situation arises I will proclaim the Power of Jesus working today not worried about what others think. Peace Out

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm beginning to wonder if you were offended. I thought you had a healing testimony. I've said all I have to about this. I hear you, keep your mouths shut about healing because others may be offended.

I wasn't offended but I've managed to offend other Christians with my testimonies.

I didn't know before but as I got older, got more mature, learned a bit more, got through life, I became a lot more sensitive of what people feels and got more adept at reading body language.

I don't ask people around how they feel. If they don't feel good about your testimonies, they'll probably just lie and just tell you what you want to hear to avoid any further talks.

I'm not saying you never share a testimony but rather take consideration of your audience. If surrounded by people you trust and loves you, then absolutely, share away.

Sorry, when the situation arises I will proclaim the Power of Jesus working today not worried about what others think. Peace Out

I'm not sure Apostle Paul would be making such prayer, when he said these things:

1 Corinthians 8:13
Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

Because it sounds to me like Paul does care very deeply on how other believers might think about him

• Prayers
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think some of you may be familiar with Healing/blessing testimonies where a member would walk up to the stage and share a story about trials or hardships where somehow the Lord provided a miracle and got them out of their bad situation.

However, Jesus told some of the people He healed NOT to tell other people about their miraculous healing - Mark 7:36.

I think the reason why Jesus said such thing so that people would not be drawn into Christianity under the wrong motives such as healing,
Christianity didn't exist then - and plenty of people sought Jesus because they wanted healing.
Another reason why sharing accounts of Lord's miracle in our lives might be wrong is that it can be a source of pride for the person sharing the testimony. To let everyone know they have the Lord's favor upon them and righteous in their ways.
If anyone testifies "I was healed because I am righteous/especially blessed by God", that is wrong and misleading.
If people listening think "she was healed because she is righteous", they need further teaching, or have been taught wrongly.

So why put up with it when Lord is telling us NOT to do it
He's not telling us not to testify to the power, and love, of God.
Telling people, at that time, to keep quiet was one thing - they may have proclaimed him as the Messiah, tried to make him king by force or whatever, and his time had not come.
Giving testimony to the risen Christ, in a skeptical society, where people believe all sorts of things and none at all, is very different.
In my experience, people want hope. Many ask for prayer when loved ones are dying, even if they don't go to church. They don't like all the denominations, church ritual etc., but they want to hear about Jesus, and that they are loved unconditionally.

Saying "I know God is real because this is what he did for me", could be invaluable.
As long as you don't make it sound like you were good enough to receive from God or the answer to prayer was all your doing, it shouldn't be a problem.

I wrote this topic because I thought of sharing a testimony but also felt strongly NOT to. I felt strongly I might be doing a wrong thing because I might be only doing it to feed my pride even though it's not in my mind at all... The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? - Jeremiah 17:9
Why would testifying to God's power and love be a bad thing?
There is only one being that does not want us to glorify God so that others may believe.

Who can know your heart? God can, and does - and you should too.
Has it been given to God? Do you trust him to give you the right words to say? Do you regularly ask to be filled with the Spirit and ask him to glorify God through you? Jeremiah knew nothing about God living in us; we do.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can walk out of the church building to avoid hearing a testimony but it's not going to look good. So people will just sit through the testimony even if they don't like it to avoid the embarrassment of walking out.
How can someone know whether or not they like a testimony until they've heard it?

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟682,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the vast majority of Christians who goes to the pulpit to share a testimony have good intentions.

However, it's also 2nd nature for many of us to brag and boast and many of us don't even realize we're doing it.
I agree, we should be careful when sharing healing or our testimonies. It can be very much about "look at me." I was in a men's group, where we took turns sharing our testimonies. Some people were very reluctant and hesitant in sharing (These tended to be the most uplifting testimonies.) Others would vie to not only tell all about their lives and the hardships within them, but would request to tell them again and again. Obviously they enjoyed doing so.
Our egos are ever present and I think we need to truly consider our motivations, before we speak.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How can someone know whether or not they like a testimony until they've heard it?

Obviously, you'd have heard parts of the testimony already. You don't always have to get to the end of a movie to decide whether you'll like the movie or not. Sometimes, it can be as little as 15 mins into the movie to know whether it's going to be worth it or just a waste of time.

Ironically, in our church, some people walk out of the church in the middle of testimonies. But probably because testimonies are about the last part of the church services. Maybe those walking out just can't wait to have lunch or go to the toilet and then have lunch.

Although I did notice a pattern....:wave: Of all testimonies, the one that gets the most walk outs are testimonies about their young children. Their children getting the highest honors in school, partaking in missions, "moving mountains", etc. I look at faces of the audiences and many just shows the lack of interest at the subject.

I'm not a parent and have no interest at becoming one so I really don't feel anything about such testimonies. But many parents among the audiences seem annoyed by such testimonies and it's so easy to see why. They're struggling with their own kids which isn't surprising these days.

It is my observation not every good thing is good for edification when told. It reminds other people of their weaknesses or inadequacies. Like being compared to somebody better than you.

This is one of the many reasons why Facebook is so "toxic" because people get insecure when they everyone gets ahead while they remain stuck in whatever situation they are in. They don't see the many other people who are stuck like they do because they're probably not active anyway.

The only testimony that gets the most positive attention, gets people in tears are testimonies of salvation. Testimonies of healing are a mixed reaction. Parents giving testimonies of their children are the most hated. Sometimes, it's up to the person sharing the testimony. Some people are just not mean to talk to a crowd. It's totally OK, not all of us are gifted/anointed to speak to an audience.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree, we should be careful when sharing healing or our testimonies. It can be very much about "look at me." I was in a men's group, where we took turns sharing our testimonies. Some people were very reluctant and hesitant in sharing (These tended to be the most uplifting testimonies.) Others would vie to not only tell all about their lives and the hardships within them, but would request to tell them again and again. Obviously they enjoyed doing so.
Our egos are ever present and I think we need to truly consider our motivations, before we speak.

You can tell it when ego is involved.

I think anointing is also a very strong factor. Speaking to an audience is special gift. This gift comes along with heightened sensitivity to the feelings of other people, empathy, etc.

Skill is one thing. Many people gets their theology doctorates and gets to preach. But the anointing have no worldly equivalent.

It's not a bad thing. We're not all blessed with the same gifts. Just not all of us don't have the anointing to speak to an audience and may end up doing more harm than good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, you'd have heard parts of the testimony already. You don't always have to get to the end of a movie to decide whether you'll like the movie or not. Sometimes, it can be as little as 15 mins into the movie to know whether it's going to be worth it or just a waste of time.

Ironically, in our church, some people walk out of the church in the middle of testimonies.
Well that's up to them - they risk missing an account of how God has truly been at work/blessed someone.
But probably because testimonies are about the last part of the church services. Maybe those walking out just can't wait to have lunch or go to the toilet and then have lunch.

Although I did notice a pattern....:wave: Of all testimonies, the one that gets the most walk outs are testimonies about their young children. Their children getting the highest honors in school, partaking in missions, "moving mountains", etc.
Is that about how their children have learnt more about God, grown in their faith, learnt something of the Bible; or are they saying, "MY child has achieved ...... with God's help, of course."
If it's the latter, I'm not surprised people walk out or look disinterested.
It is my observation not every good thing is good for edification when told. It reminds other people of their weaknesses or inadequacies. Like being compared to somebody better than you.
Only if people are taught that healing is something we can earn, or people who are "spiritual" get their prayers answered.

The only testimony that gets the most positive attention, gets people in tears are testimonies of salvation. Testimonies of healing are a mixed reaction.
That was the case even in Jesus' day - the Pharisees investigated the healing of man born blind and even asked his parents if he really had been blind.

Sadly today, there are reports of "false healings". Some healers/speakers decide that they need instant, dramatic results to make God look good, and so bend the truth a little.
When I had M.E I was told - by folk on these forums - that God would get more glory if I was healed; that I could do more for God and be a "better witness" to the faith if I was well. It's this underlying attitude of "sickness dishonours God/you need to be healed to be a better witness/God is only glorified by instant, miraculous healing", that is damaging. Some who are sick may even be tempted to play down their symptoms after prayer, or claim that some have gone completely, so they will be more acceptable.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is that about how their children have learnt more about God, grown in their faith, learnt something of the Bible; or are they saying, "MY child has achieved ...... with God's help, of course."
If it's the latter, I'm not surprised people walk out or look disinterested.

Only if people are taught that healing is something we can earn, or people who are "spiritual" get their prayers answered.

That was the case even in Jesus' day - the Pharisees investigated the healing of man born blind and even asked his parents if he really had been blind.

Sadly today, there are reports of "false healings". Some healers/speakers decide that they need instant, dramatic results to make God look good, and so bend the truth a little.
When I had M.E I was told - by folk on these forums - that God would get more glory if I was healed; that I could do more for God and be a "better witness" to the faith if I was well. It's this underlying attitude of "sickness dishonours God/you need to be healed to be a better witness/God is only glorified by instant, miraculous healing", that is damaging. Some who are sick may even be tempted to play down their symptoms after prayer, or claim that some have gone completely, so they will be more acceptable.

The things you said here only proves many people don't have the anointing to speak to an audience. Many are not meant to share their testimonies and only sending the wrong message.

Even if some of the things they said is the truth, they could have said it with compassion and understanding of other people's struggles in life.

But without the anointing, often these Christians make it sound like it's your fault why you're not getting miracles or your prayers answered even if it wasn't their intention.

They forget about Hebrews 11. That dying poor or in misery doesn't mean a lack of faith or a lack of blessing or lack of God's favor. But rather it is those who keeps fighting the good cause despite reaping nothing but misery and dying in misery who has demonstrated real faith according to Hebrews 11. Many of Christ's disciples endured such fate.

Yet, we don't hear testimonies like that. I've only ever heard one such testimony out of so many. Most testimonies are about how God has enriched their worldly existence.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The things you said here only proves many people don't have the anointing to speak to an audience. Many are not meant to share their testimonies and only sending the wrong message.
In your experience, maybe; not in mine.
Yet, we don't hear testimonies like that. I've only ever heard one such testimony out of so many. Most testimonies are about how God has enriched their worldly existence.
Again, that is your experience, not mine.

Testimonies are uplifting, and have been since Jesus' time.
He told one man to go and tell people what the Lord had done for him, while another said, "I was blind but now I can see."
Throwing out/suppressing testimonies because a few people mistakenly give the impression it is all about them, would be detrimental. If what the person might say is a cause for concern, have someone interview them. That way, if they become too person centred, the interviewer can bring the subject round to what God has done.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,416.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Again, that is your experience, not mine.

That's interesting. Where I live, "failure testimonies" where someone did not have a miracle healing and their loved one died but still delivered a testimony to thank God, "it could've been a lot worse but God still took care of us in other areas of our lives..." It's a rare thing.

Upvote 0