Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A conversation about hope, the AfD and women in the church

Limburg Bishop Georg Bätzing (62) heads the bishops' conference

Limburg Bishop Georg Bätzing (62) has been head of the German bishops since 2020. The organist from the Westerwald wanted to become a pastor since his childhood. In 2016 he became the successor to Protz Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst (64). Both are fighting for the major renovation: Tebartz-van Elst concentrated on the luxury renovation of the Limburg bishop's house. Bätzing, completely different, wants to reorganize the church. Pope Francis already joked about Bätzing's reform plans: “There is a very good Protestant church in Germany. We don't need two.” In a talk with BILD am SONNTAG in the 800-year-old cathedral with seven towers, the man of God vividly explains the meaning of Easter.

BILD: What is the core of Easter?

Bishop Georg Bätzing: “The core of Easter is belief in the resurrection, and that is also the core of our entire Christian faith. Saint Paul had already recognized this. He said: If Christ has not risen, then everything we do is meaningless and hollow. (...) The most beautiful experience for me is always the Easter Vigil. You notice the change from darkness to light, from listening to singing, from lyrics that talk about liberation and you feel that a hope grows in this transition. That’s Easter for me.”

What exactly is this Easter hope?

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟146,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alright, this
A conversation about hope, the AfD and women in the church

Limburg Bishop Georg Bätzing (62) heads the bishops' conference

Limburg Bishop Georg Bätzing (62) has been head of the German bishops since 2020. The organist from the Westerwald wanted to become a pastor since his childhood. In 2016 he became the successor to Protz Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst (64). Both are fighting for the major renovation: Tebartz-van Elst concentrated on the luxury renovation of the Limburg bishop's house. Bätzing, completely different, wants to reorganize the church. Pope Francis already joked about Bätzing's reform plans: “There is a very good Protestant church in Germany. We don't need two.” In a talk with BILD am SONNTAG in the 800-year-old cathedral with seven towers, the man of God vividly explains the meaning of Easter.

BILD: What is the core of Easter?

Bishop Georg Bätzing: “The core of Easter is belief in the resurrection, and that is also the core of our entire Christian faith. Saint Paul had already recognized this. He said: If Christ has not risen, then everything we do is meaningless and hollow. (...) The most beautiful experience for me is always the Easter Vigil. You notice the change from darkness to light, from listening to singing, from lyrics that talk about liberation and you feel that a hope grows in this transition. That’s Easter for me.”

What exactly is this Easter hope?

Continued below.
Well, to me, and many other Christians, Easter is the anniversary of the Resurrection of Jesus, which gives us hope in living with him in heaven. I do not know much about church restructuring, but all I know is that the leadership must put Jesus front-and-center.

Here is a condensed summary of the interview:

In an interview published on April 2, 2024, in cathcon.blogspot, Limburg Bishop Georg Bätzing discussed the meaning of Easter and shared his thoughts on various issues concerning the Catholic Church with the news agency, BILD am SONNTAG. Born in the Westerwald region with a desire to become a pastor since childhood, Bätzing became the successor of Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst as Bishop of Limburg in 2016.

The core of Easter, according to Bätzing, lies in the belief in the resurrection and the continuation of life after death. He emphasized that hope is a crucial aspect of Easter, which can offer comfort to those who have suffered or lost their lives due to violence and injustice. During the conversation, Bätzing shared his personal experience of the Easter Vigil, which he described as a transition from darkness to light and a time when hope grows.

Bätzing acknowledged that the church has lost credibility due to past mistakes, including the handling of abuse cases, which has caused many believers to lose faith. He also criticized Pope Francis for siding with Russia in the Ukraine conflict and expressed his support for Ukraine's right to set conditions for negotiations, stating that every day of war is one day too many.

Regarding the Catholic Church's reforms, Bätzing expressed his belief in equal opportunities for women within the church and expressed his desire to ordain deaconesses. However, he did not venture to suggest the possibility of ordaining women priests during his tenure as Bishop of Limburg. The interview showcased Bätzing's conviction in addressing social issues and taking a clear stance against right-wing extremist forces, such as the Alternative for Germany (AfD) party.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0