Has anyone here ever had experience with tarot cards? I've got a couple of Q's to ask.

Hidden101

Jan 22, 2013
✟16,108.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Hello

I am not sure whether this is the appropriate area to place this thread, mods feel free to move it somewhere else if you want to.
I've got a tarot addiction - I will not deny it. I was wondering if any Christians on here have had a tarot addiction, and whether I could ask you a couple of questions?

Cheers,

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello
I am not sure whether this is the appropriate area to place this thread, mods feel free to move it somewhere else if you want to.I've got a tarot addiction - I will not deny it. I was wondering if any Christians on here have had a tarot addiction, and whether I could ask you a couple of questions?Cheers,

Addictions of any kind are best handled by specialized sources of help.
But the "root" of the solution is to recognise your moments of weakness
or what presses-your-buttons and once you recognize those factors
either avoid the situation or create a new response to that situation.
Replacing a more desired habit over the top of the old one works best.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟500,111.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I want to know whether divination through the cards is true or not. Whether the cards tell the truth. I need more than Jesus is the truth, because you have a tonne of stuff on the internet, etc, that show the occult and fortune telling to be real.
I have some experience with using tarot cards and can assure you that any meaning you find in them results in you interpreting them in a way that makes sense, according to your informations. Or you may use them a couple of times until you get a reading that seems sensible.

Upvote 0

Hidden101

Jan 22, 2013
✟16,108.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I have some experience with using tarot cards and can assure you that any meaning you find in them results in you interpreting them in a way that makes sense, according to your informations. Or you may use them a couple of times until you get a reading that seems sensible.

My main question is, if they are not true, why do so many people find that they are true? So you never saw truth in your readings?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
My main question is, if they are not true, why do so many people find that they are true?

Most people have very low standards for regarding something as true.

eudaimonia,

Mark

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Are they true?" might be the wrong question.

I want to know: Are they useful?

Sure, but not for the reasons that people think. Tarot cards are useful for conning people, and they might even spark creativity and intuition as randomly placed cards create new mental connections in oneself. But useful for the reasons people so often think... no.

Incidentally, here is a fun fact for everyone. Tarot cards were originally just cards for card games, much like the relatively modern Poker deck. The "major arcana" were trump cards.

Tarot was originally JUST A CARD GAME.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello

I am not sure whether this is the appropriate area to place this thread, mods feel free to move it somewhere else if you want to.
I've got a tarot addiction - I will not deny it. I was wondering if any Christians on here have had a tarot addiction, and whether I could ask you a couple of questions?

Cheers,

I don't get it...
What is a "tarot addiction"? How does that work, exactly?

As for question about that...
There really is only one question you should be asking. And that is "Is tarot nonsense?" and the answer is "Yes".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to know whether divination through the cards is true or not. Whether the cards tell the truth. I need more than Jesus is the truth, because you have a tonne of stuff on the internet, etc, that show the occult and fortune telling to be real.

You can find all kinds of nonsense on the interwebs.

For example, here is a website that claims that Belgium doesn't actually exist:
http://zapatopi.net/belgium/

Another example, here is a website making claims about alien reptilians controlling the earth:
http://www.annunaki.org/

James Randi has had an offer of a million dollars for decades to anyone who can demonstrate to have supernatural powers, is able to tell the future, communicate with the dead, etc etc etc.

MANY have attempted to "win" the money. Not one succeeded.
That should tell you something.

In short: don't be so gullible.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
My main question is, if they are not true, why do so many people find that they are true? So you never saw truth in your readings?

For the same reason many people believe in horoscopes and other such shenannigans.
Because people want to believe. Because people are very prone to superstition and gullibility.

The vast majority of people on this planet also all believe in (mutually exclusive) religions that you do NOT believe in. Clearly, it shouldn't be that hard for you to understand that many people believe in things that can't possibly be correct.

Because for religion X to be true, all other religions must be wrong.
So right out of the gates, we can already conclude that the VAST majority of humans, believe false things.

Consider the possibility that you might be one of them...

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Yes, because mysterious universal forces choose to communicate important information (like 'you will win a lottery and meet a handsome stranger', but never a cure for cancer) to rich bored westerners via a deck of cards dealt by an under-educated overweight post-menopausal single woman with dyed hair and too many cats.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,522,745.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I want to know whether divination through the cards is true or not. Whether the cards tell the truth.

Look at it this way. There are 78 cards in a standard deck, right? And each of those cards has attached to it a field of symbolic meaning.

You can draw several cards, look at the range of potential meanings for the combination, and interpret that field of meanings in the context of your own life, and come up with something that has some truth.

This is not remarkable, because at any given time something in your life is going to relate in some way to the meanings of the cards in front of you. If it has any value it's in engaging you to reflect on those meanings (just as other people might choose to reflect on an artwork or a piece of literature or music or whatever in order to consider the big questions of life).

That said, I think the truly remarkable idea in tarot is not divination - that's incredibly mundane - but the idea that everything worth knowing about your life is reducible to a set of 78 symbols. Of all the many rich and diverse, amazing things about life, I have to ask myself, how many things would not be able to be expressed through a combination of those symbols? How might I broaden my way of thinking and reflecting to encompass other possibilities?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not going to work in this case. I would like someone who knows a bit about the occult to talk with.

The method of reprogramming old habits is documented and universal.
It's part of the core of human learning and intelligence.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but not for the reasons that people think. Tarot cards are useful for conning people, and they might even spark creativity and intuition as randomly placed cards create new mental connections in oneself. But useful for the reasons people so often think... no.

Incidentally, here is a fun fact for everyone. Tarot cards were originally just cards for card games, much like the relatively modern Poker deck. The "major arcana" were trump cards.

Tarot was originally JUST A CARD GAME.

eudaimonia,

Mark

A card game that is still played. It's called Tarok and is from Slovenia. It's very similar to Euchre and very fun.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to know whether divination through the cards is true or not.

No.

However, you can use them to tell stories, as Italo Calvino did in The Castle of Crossed Destinies.

italo_english_full.jpg

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It almost sounds like a normal reflective practice, when you put it like that. Hm...

Upvote 0