statrei

Jun 25, 2004
Indiana/Virginia
✟3,125.00
Faith
SDA
In another thread palehorse made the following confession:
palehorse said:
Today, I had to earnestly pray in order to allow peace to start between me and another member of this site. It was God that gave me victory over my anger
How does God give a person 'the victory?' I am certain there are many others on this list who would like to know the answer to that. Maybe we can discuss it to enlighten the group.

I

ImmortalAwakened

statrei said:
Is that a guaranteed process? Is that all there is to it? Maybe I should ask what you mean by being 'centered' on Him.
Prayer is gauranteed if we really mean it. Although, I believe that we need to have other areas of our life squared away with God too. What I mean by being centered on God is putting Jesus as our prime focus in life.

Upvote 0

statrei

Jun 25, 2004
Indiana/Virginia
✟3,125.00
Faith
SDA
ImmortalAwakened said:
Prayer is gauranteed if we really mean it. Although, I believe that we need to have other areas of our life squared away with God too. What I mean by being centered on God is putting Jesus as our prime focus in life.
I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but I think you see how these instructions are rather vague since they can be interpreted in different ways by different people with different results.

Upvote 0
I

ImmortalAwakened

statrei said:
I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but I think you see how these instructions are rather vague since they can be interpreted in different ways by different people with different results.
I believe that everyone has their own unique application. For me, when I practice lovingkindness with others, it puts me in the proper state of mind. Prayer and application go hand in hand. Sorry if I'm not more helpful.

Upvote 0

statrei

Jun 25, 2004
Indiana/Virginia
✟3,125.00
Faith
SDA
ImmortalAwakened said:
I believe that everyone has their own unique application. For me, when I practice lovingkindness with others, it puts me in the proper state of mind. Prayer and application go hand in hand. Sorry if I'm not more helpful.
You were helpful. You have learned what works fo you. I think there could be something that works for everyone. Maybe some of the other members will have some insight.

Upvote 0
I

ImmortalAwakened

statrei said:
You were helpful. You have learned what works fo you. I think there could be something that works for everyone. Maybe some of the other members will have some insight.
I believe that everyone has some insight that they could potentially offer. I find that practice is very important if we want to see results in our lives.

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to ask how we define "victory?" Some victories only come via resistance as in no pain no gain...

If we pray for patience we often find ourselves placed in situations where we must exercise the very thing we are praying for.... If we pray to be more loving, then we are confronted with the unlovable... so what do we consider victory to be?

Upvote 0

statrei

Jun 25, 2004
Indiana/Virginia
✟3,125.00
Faith
SDA
StormyOne said:
I have to ask how we define "victory?" Some victories only come via resistance as in no pain no gain...

If we pray for patience we often find ourselves placed in situations where we must exercise the very thing we are praying for.... If we pray to be more loving, then we are confronted with the unlovable... so what do we consider victory to be?
I find this perspective to be interesting. My response to "God gave me the victory" tends to be, "Well, where has He been all this time?" If almost sounds as if He just showed up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
statrei said:
How does God give a person 'the victory?' I am certain there are many others on this list who would like to know the answer to that. Maybe we can discuss it to enlighten the group.

There's nothing to discuss. If you don't know that Jesus has the "victory" over all, then I SERIOUSLY question not just your denomination symbol, but whether you are even a follower of Christ at all.

Here once again, you show your true self. All you want to do is argue and keep the stink stirred up because you obviously like the smell.

I will pray for you...

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
statrei said:
I find this perspective to be interesting. My response to "God gave me the victory" tends to be, "Well, where has He been all this time?" If almost sounds as if He just showed up.

One has to reach up and take the victory from His hands that has been there all along. First it takes realizing you need His victory, and then having the faith that when you reach up to take it, it will be there.

Upvote 0

statrei

Jun 25, 2004
Indiana/Virginia
✟3,125.00
Faith
SDA
SassySDA said:
There's nothing to discuss. If you don't know that Jesus has the "victory" over all, then I SERIOUSLY question not just your denomination symbol, but whether you are even a follower of Christ at all.

Here once again, you show your true self. All you want to do is argue and keep the stink stirred up because you obviously like the smell.

I will pray for you...
You really love to argue. I hope it is satisfying in some way. Have at it.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
statrei said:
Happy sabbath ya'll :) (though it won't be sabbath there for several hours most likely wherever you guys live ;))

I'm not quite so sure what this means =/ theres a guy at school though who litterally hates me guts. Hardcore atheist, despises my views. I'm quite strong right winged, he's left winged, I'm pollitically incorrect, he's very pollitically correct, he's the smartest kid in the school overall (like, at the rate of his smart-ness growing, given a few years, he'd be smarter than the smarter year 13 teachers, or so we are told) a mini celebrity. He used to be friends with my best guy friend. Then, my friend noticed that I didn't insult him, nor did I use him as a personal joke machine, so he started hanging 'round me more than that guy and his friends, so now they hate me. They think I've taken him "away" from him. He also thinks my work ethnic isn't very good... because I procrastinate homework :sorry: but it isn't too bad.

Anyway, he's a real pain. He's either indirectly insulting me, or just coming out and attacking me openly. He can be really cruel, espically behind my back. In my face, he treats me like I'm an idiot, constantly getting at me, trying to start fights etc. Sometimes, I grin and bear it. Othertimes, I loose my cool. The other day... I got a mark back from my test. I honestly didn't do that bad. It was an okay mark, 13 1/2 out of 20, plus I did one of the best in the class on another bit of homework. After I found out my marks, and I was walking back to my desk, he stops me. He asks me what I got. I told him I wouldn't tell him, because if I did, he'd use it in some form to laugh at me and insult me, as he most likely got full marks, even though I DID try hard on it >.O and walked back to my desk. So he comes over, and starts telling me, in his little voice and all, that if I didn't do blah blah and I didn't do this and didn't do that I'd have done better and yadedadeda.. like I didn't try. He had this smirk on his face, and it was an indirect/direct attack at me. So I yelled at the guy.

"TOM! SHUT UP! NO, SERIOUSLY. SHUT UP. GO AWAY. NOW! GO AWAY!!!!" He looked a bit stunned, and walked back. I felt so horrible.

For two or so periods, I was in turmorial. I knew what I did was wrong but was as mad as sin and couldn't build up the courage to apologise. But I did though. It wasn't as great as it could've been, but it was an apology. I said I was sorry for yelling, though not sorry for being annoyed and upset at the way he treated me. Of course, he took this as a personal victory, but meh to him, I had the victory. He made a weak apology back, but he didn't mean it, he just had to say it. I meant it.
Okay, so afterwards, when we went our seperate ways, I started muttering to my other friend how angry I was that he treats me like that. But hey. I dunno, am I allowed to be upset? I just consider that a personal victory, after praying with God, and him giving me the strength and courage, he helped me win a victory in doing what was right, even if it was swallowing my pride a bit, because hey, I did mean the apology.

:D Okay, rambled a bit, don't expect anyone to read it. It was more for myself than anyone else xD

statrei said:
Is that a guaranteed process? Is that all there is to it? Maybe I should ask what you mean by being 'centered' on Him.

I agree, prayer doesn't always seem to work. For me, I generally gain victorys in studying his word more. If you give me your MBTI personality type, I might be able to help you out a bit more in this area =P

But in quick situations like the one above, prayer helps. Like when you rent to someone, I rented to God. I used him as the person who I told my feelings of anger and spite, and in return, he gave me less space in my mind for anger and more for reflection as the feelings left me, and consequently, I saw the error of my actions and then took emotion out of it. So, for me, prayer helps :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Windmill, you showed great strength in going to this guy and apologizing. Each time we go through something like that, we grow. You learned something valuable, even if the situation was a bit uncomfortable. Sometimes the fire God uses to "mold us with" is very, very hot.

Good on ya.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
Windmill

Mathew 5: 43-48 said:
love for Enemies
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
I love the book of mathew

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks sassy :)

@ Jonathan, I would take a bullet for the guy. I just get frustrated and angry at the way he treats me. But I dunno, I suppose that isn't love :| thanks, I'll try to remember that verse next time I start to harbor hateful feelings :)

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Windmill said:
Thanks sassy :)

@ Jonathan, I would take a bullet for the guy. I just get frustrated and angry at the way he treats me. But I dunno, I suppose that isn't love :| thanks, I'll try to remember that verse next time I start to harbor hateful feelings :)

You're welcome!!:wave:

Upvote 0