• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Genetic Disposition for Depression and Neurosis.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been an amateur genealogist for over a decade. I have traced my roots as far back as the Middle Ages. Years ago, I wanted to further my research by ordering a DNA test from one of the popular genealogy companies. I received the first results almost a decade ago and it has enhanced my research greatly. First it has served to confirm many branches that did not have a lot of documentation. Also, it pointed to lines that I had not considered.
A few years ago, as genetic research progressed, companies began to look more specifically at genetic traits and dispositions. Science began to discover connections between the DNA of individuals and certain physical, mental, and neurological traits. I investigated one such companies' findings and was surprised what my specific DNA was saying.
One such "trait" (in me) is that I am highly prone to some kinds of neurosis. The study states that a certain collection of genes created a biological/biochemical tendency toward depression, mania, paranoia, and other traits.
I am sharing this to let you know that this is not your fault. It is not a result of something you have done. It may be in your DNA and of no fault to you. Also, if you find that in fact you do have a genetic/biochemical trait in your brain that causes this, then there are treatments. Just being aware that this is not some spiritual or soul problem is in itself a relief. There is nothing wrong with "me." I am not going to feel bad because of this condition any more than I would feel bad if I stubbed my toe or had a headache.
I am ok. So are you!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~