Former Methodist minister, partner receive same-sex blessing from Chicago parish in video

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,781,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) — A former Methodist minister has sought a blessing on her same-sex union from a priest at a parish within the Archdiocese of Chicago, months after the Vatican issued a document on the possibility of giving spontaneous, non-liturgical pastoral blessings to couples in irregular situations.

“Myah always wanted to get married at the chapel of her Alma mater, so I surprised her with a blessing of our marriage!” wrote Kelli Knight, who posted a brief video and photographs of the blessing April 22 on her Instagram account, citygrrl76.

Video of same-sex union blessing​

The video pictured Knight, who spent 14 years as pastor of several Chicago-area United Methodist congregations, with a woman addressed in the clip as Myah and Vincentian Father Joseph S. Williams, pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Chicago.

The parish, administered by the Vincentian Congregation of the Mission-Western Province and adjacent to DePaul University, was established by the Vincentians in 1898 and serves the university community.

In a May 1 phone call with OSV News, Father Williams confirmed that he is the priest in the video, and that the blessing — which he said he administered by appointment at the request of Knight a month prior — took place at St. Vincent de Paul.

OSV News has sent a link to the video to the Archdiocese of Chicago for comment, along with a message to Knight via her Instagram account, and is awaiting a reply to both inquiries.

Elements of the ceremony​

In the video, Knight is dressed in an off-the-shoulder, champagne-colored sequined gown, while Myah is dressed in a black suit with a matching fedora and a white tie, with both women wearing floral wrist corsages. The clip looked to be filmed using a cellphone on a tripod set before the altar, with the camera facing the empty church. Father Williams, dressed in a white alb and an ivory stole, helps the pair to adjust their position in the camera frame before beginning the blessing.

As the two women face each other holding hands, Father Williams says, “This is going to be very short, very brief,” and then reads from a printed text — which he told OSV News he had written himself — in a liturgical binder typically used at Mass for announcements.

Blessing details​

Continued below.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The title says she is a former Methodist minister.
Oh....my reading skills isn't that great, apparently. I assume she is no longer in ministry then. My bad.

I wonder in Protestant circles does their ordination suddenly become invalid in their church if they are no longer in ministry? I actually don't know how their hierarchy works.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,781,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh....my reading skills isn't that great, apparently. I assume she is no longer in ministry then. My bad.

I wonder in Protestant circles does their ordination suddenly become invalid in their church? I actually don't know how their hierarchy works.
It’s easy to do. No worries. :)

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It’s easy to do. No worries. :)
Wonder if she stepped down or was defrocked...we can only pray for those in same-sex relationships and those with SSA. It's the least we can do.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟132,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Pastor of that beautiful Catholic Church composed an insulting and blasphemous "prayer" to God for the "Blessing" he "spontaneously" gave to them:
The format of the blessing approximates a renewal of wedding vows, with Father Williams addressing the women by their names, asking, “Do you freely recommit yourselves to love each other as holy spouses and to live in peace and harmony together forever?”

“We do, I do,” they each reply.

Father Williams then continues, “Loving God, increase and consecrate the love which Kelli and Myah have for one another.

Although no ring exchange is depicted in the segment, the priest says, “The rings they have exchanged are the sign of their fidelity and commitment. May they continue to prosper in your grace and blessing. We ask this through Christ our Lord.”

He concludes the blessing by making the sign of the cross over the two women, who cross themselves, and saying, “May God’s blessing be yours, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Does God bless sin? Does the Holy Trinity smile upon this sin which is NOT the LOVE Jesus calls us to!? Does Christ Jesus give His Holy Name to their "continuing" and "prospering" in His Holy GRACE? How does God restrain His judgment on such bold-faced blasphemy in the Father's House of Worship?

How has it come to this - and to all the horrors in the Church today? Fr. Charles Murr, interviewed by Dr. Taylor Marshall on his show, traces the stunning history in this interview. It's a long painful account, but compellingly presented. We Catholics of today need to know this.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Catholic Pastor of that beautiful Catholic Church composed an insulting and blasphemous "prayer" to God for the "Blessing" he "spontaneously" gave to them:

Does God bless sin? Does the Holy Trinity smile upon this sin which is NOT the LOVE Jesus calls us to!? Does Christ Jesus give His Holy Name to their "continuing" and "prospering" in His Holy GRACE? How does God restrain His judgment on such bold-faced blasphemy in the Father's House of Worship?

How has it come to this - and to all the horrors in the Church today? Fr. Charles Murr, interviewed by Dr. Taylor Marshall on his show, traces the stunning history in this interview. It's a long painful account, but compellingly presented. We Catholics of today need to know this.

Good video. I'm a bit down on Taylor Marshall, but Fr. Murr was excellent and informative. This should all have been dealt with in the 1970's instead of being allowed to fester. Fr. Murr's is an important contribution to the record of what happened back then and how heroic cardinal Gagnon was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,781,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟435,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand. Was this spontaneously thought up or not? Post #9 seems to say it was spontaneous, but the priest says that the request was made months ago. It doesn't seem very spontaneous if it was planned out months in advance and videotaped and reported in the media and all this. I don't even know if that matters one way or another, but I was under the impression that the idea was more like "if a member of a same-sex couple comes to you and asks for a blessing, you can give them one, so long as it is not seen as an analogue for the blessing of a marriage", but this seems like exactly what that is...the ex-minister even says that she's really surprised to be receiving the blessing of their marriage!

This is just all over the place. It seems completely untenable. I feel so bad for faithful Catholics who just want their church to teach one thing, in confirmation with what everyone recognized was the truth before Pope Francis issued this document.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟132,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good video. I'm a bit down on Taylor Marshall, but Fr. Murr was excellent and informative. This should all have been dealt with in the 1970's instead of being allowed to fester. Fr. Murr's is an important contribution to the record of what happened back then and how heroic cardinal Gagnon was.

I was also "a bit down on Taylor Marshall" ( but I cannot remember why! - These past years have been like a tornado of evil infiltrations - my mind resists remembering many things...) before Fr. Murr so soundly endorsed Marshall's book, and the two were in such unity concerning the history of corruption in the Vatican.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't understand. Was this spontaneously thought up or not? Post #9 seems to say it was spontaneous, but the priest says that the request was made months ago. It doesn't seem very spontaneous if it was planned out months in advance and videotaped and reported in the media and all this. I don't even know if that matters one way or another, but I was under the impression that the idea was more like "if a member of a same-sex couple comes to you and asks for a blessing, you can give them one, so long as it is not seen as an analogue for the blessing of a marriage", but this seems like exactly what that is...the ex-minister even says that she's really surprised to be receiving the blessing of their marriage!

This is just all over the place. It seems completely untenable. I feel so bad for faithful Catholics who just want their church to teach one thing, in confirmation with what everyone recognized was the truth before Pope Francis issued this document.
Well said. Pope Francis needs to get rid of that awful document all together.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,781,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A priest in Chicago has apologized for the controversial way in which he blessed a same-sex couple in April, calling it a “very poor decision” that violated Catholic Church’s new guidelines.

In a statement dated May 8, Father Joseph Williams, the pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish near downtown Chicago, offered an apology in which the priest said he “regrets the language of the blessing and the use of vestments and the church itself, which he now recognizes were a violation of the norms approved by the Church.”

The priest blessed a same-sex couple in the city parish in April. In a video of the event posted to social media, Williams — wearing priestly vestments — can be seen asking the couple if they “freely recommit yourselves to love each other as holy spouses and to live in peace and harmony together forever.” The two women respond, “I do.”

Williams in the video asks God to “increase and consecrate the love” the two women have for each other, stating that the “rings that they have exchanged are the sign of their fidelity and commitment.”

Continued below.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,781,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Reaction from the couple​

In a May 13 email to OSV News, Rev. Knight said she was “grateful for the Church’s blessing of our marriage.

“It is unfortunate there are groups that oppose such blessings that put priests in positions to issue statements or apologies following such,” Rev. Knight wrote. “My hope and prayer is that other priests will continue to be encouraged to extend this grace to other same-gender couples in the future.”

According to the Vincentians, Father Williams said he found the experience “has been a valuable learning experience.”

Upvote 0