United States
Visit site
✟15,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nonresidents' Same-Sex Weddings Bring Economic Boost
The recent changes have prompted a flood of gay New Yorkers coming to Massachusetts to get married -- and that seems to have made same-sex marriage big business for the Bay State.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/02/AR2008090202682.html?hpid=sec-nation

I really would not view this as any bigger news than a new attraction, museum, or monument bringing in out of state tourism. For comparison, Disney World definitely brought in a lot of toursim to Florida when it opened, and helped bring an economic boost down there. The attraction just happens to be gay marriage, and the boost will stop if New York legalizes gay marriage.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Maybe-prostitution is legal in Nevada, and some drugs should be legalized...
Many drugs are legal. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, epinephrine, diphenhydramine.

From what I just heard on the TV from the republican national convention Cindy McCain’s dad made millions of dollars with one of above mentioned drugs

Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Drug sales and prostitution are big business too - should we allow them to bring in more revenue?

Legalization and regulation are good avenues to reach good social benefits. Legalizing formerly prohibited enterprises brings them into the open and into public scrutiny. Murders that would be today called "drug-related" would cease. Quality control would be regulated. And, yes, revenue would increase.

However, other than the weak analogy you have offered, the comparison is extremely limited. Illicit drugs and prostitution are presently criminal matters. Same-gender marriage is NOT nor has it ever been, a crime. Cogent arguments can be made that illicit drugs and prostitution are social negatives. No such rational argument can be made concerning same gender marriages. In all respects, it is a net social positive.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Legalization and regulation are good avenues to reach good social benefits. Legalizing formerly prohibited enterprises brings them into the open and into public scrutiny. Murders that would be today called "drug-related" would cease. Quality control would be regulated. And, yes, revenue would increase.
Spoken like a true lib, who advocates expanding the government which is already much too large and intrusive.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Endorsing sin for the almighty dollar.
Matthew 6:19-24 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Reactions: Angel4Truth
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Spoken like a true lib, who advocates expanding the government which is already much too large and intrusive.

Actually it is in accordance with Jefferson's dictum of "that government that governs best governs least".

There is nothing larger of a government intrusion than government attempting to implement some narrow and (as viewed by some) archaic version of morality. Just like the "god" in Terry Pratchett's novel Monstrous Regiment who all of a sudden decided the color blue was sinful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

BigBadWlf

Only that it is a distortion of God's institution of marriage, and abomination, and a sin. And it sounds like all you care about is dollars so you don't seem to care about storing treasures in heaven. It's not right in God's eyes, but since you reject the things of God I am not surprised you endorse sin and abominations.
Racists say the same thing about interracial marriage
It's not right in God's eyes, but since you reject the things of God I am not surprised you endorse sin and abominations.

Well who can blame Lynn for endorsing Red Lobster? Their crab legs are always a treat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
There's that obsession with racism again.

I think we can tell who the racist is in this forum....LOL

Why is it every time we have a dicussion, Big Bad Wolf, you bring it back to racism? Something on your mind? Did someone discriminate against you in the past and now you're lashing out?

I'd clarify my position for you, but something tells me you won't listen. Let me know if you are really and sincerely interested in my position, and I'll tell you tomorrow. I'm going to bed now.

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you're admitting that the God you follow is an "archaic version of morality?" You're a real piece of work, TL. You never cease to amaze me with your unbiblical drivel.

I can't speak for Lynn but I can speak for myself. The God of the Old Testament is an enigma to me. I can't warm to Him (even though I capitalize the 'h' out of respect to others) any more than I could warm to Adolph Hitler. I don't know how you can either. As for God being an 'archaic version of morality' ...I believe there's more than a little truth to that. Do you honestly read your Bible (specifically the OT) with a suspension of reasoning and logic? See, I can't do that. Perhaps that makes me a bad person.

Only that it is a distortion of God's institution of marriage, and abomination, and a sin. And it sounds like all you care about is dollars so you don't seem to care about storing treasures in heaven. It's not right in God's eyes, but since you reject the things of God I am not surprised you endorse sin and abominations.

Scenario. Two people are mutually attracted to one another. The mutual attraction blossoms into love. They decide that they require a committed relationship for life. They marry. What is wrong with that scenario? You'll notice that I didn't give their gender. Without your knowing this, what do you have to say?

Again, glad I left the methodist church. Another example of how messed up your denomination is? My former methodist pastor rejected the idea of hell, even though it's taught plainly in the Scriptures.

I'm going to say something now that might very well annoy you. Any person who believes in a literal hell where a living being is tormented forever and ever does NOT understand their Bible! In fact, if they DO believe such a thing, then everything else they believe and teach is also brought into question. Hell is NOT literal but is symbolic of a 'situation' or a 'condition' for 'the lost'. You need none other than John 3:16 to tell you that 'the lost' will perish. One cannot live (to be tormented) and perish at the same time. Besides, according to the Bible only the righteous will obtain eternal life. The 'lost' will obtain eternal death.

So you can understand why everything that comes out of your mouth is worldly diatribe.

Careful, Dogbean. The Christianity of which you appear to be a part is not an 'exact science', I'm afraid. Surely you must know this ...?

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn’t it the conservatives who want to amend the constitution to ensure that minorities don’t get equal rights?

Of course it is. They want the government in your bedroom and standing over your teacher with a cudgel.

In 1977, when California was much more conservative and whiter, conservatives John Briggs and H.R. "Lemonade Bill" Richardson proposed the "Briggs Initiative" which would have prohibited LGBTs from teaching in public schools. It went down to a landslide defeat, thanks in part to the opposition of Ronald Reagan and John Wayne.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Racists say the same thing about interracial marriage

The arguments are all exactly the same.

Well who can blame Lynn for endorsing Red Lobster? Their crab legs are always a treat
I'm always up for seafood.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Of course it is. They want the government in your bedroom and standing over your teacher with a cudgel.
Of course not. I don't want the government in my bedroom any more than I want it in yours. What you do in your bedroom sexually is between you, your partner, and God. What I oppose is it being forced on us in the public, and in schools, and in media, etc. or kids being lied to being told that being gay is normal. It's acceptable in a secular society but it's clearly not "normal." It's a deviance from the natural order of things. It's a result of a sinful world.I oppose my kids having to go to school and endure gay education. I oppose a disproportunate number of sitcoms and tv shows having flaming gay characters on it and obscene gay (and heterosexual) sexual humor on it because the gay community forces their ideals on the rest of the world. OF course, I know that this is constitutionally protected under free speech. It just makes my job harder as a parent to counter this oversaturation of gay ideals in society.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Of course not. I don't want the government in my bedroom any more than I want it in yours. What you do in your bedroom sexually is between you, your partner, and God. What I oppose is it being forced on us in the public, and in schools, and in media, etc.
Just like how interracial marriage was “forced” onto the public
Just like how desegregation was “forced” onto the public
Just like how civil rights was “forced” onto the public
or kids being lied to being told that being gay is normal. It's acceptable in a secular society but it's clearly not "normal."

I don’t like kids being lied to and told that prejudice and discrimination are normal, and such deviant behaviors are not acceptable in secular society
It's a deviance from the natural order of things.
so is being left handed.
It's a result of a sinful world. I oppose my kids having to go to school and endure gay education.
you have never explained just what “gay education” is

I oppose a disproportunate number of sitcoms and tv shows having flaming gay characters on it and obscene gay (and heterosexual) sexual humor on it because the gay community forces their ideals on the rest of the world.
there are a lot of shows featuring black characters. Are you opposed to them as well?
OF course, I know that this is constitutionally protected under free speech. It just makes my job harder as a parent to counter this oversaturation of gay ideals in society.
it must be difficult to teach children to hate people who are different if that darn media and the evil school system presents minorities as human beings

your sig references something from Star Trek. In 1966 eighteen NBC affiliates refused to air the show after the introduction of Lieutenants Uhura and Sulu because they were minorities and they were depicted as officers. Huge numbers of people protested the show because it forced liberal ideals onto the viewing public and made the job of parents countering such ideals that much harder

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Just like how interracial marriage was “forced” onto the public
Just like how desegregation was “forced” onto the public
Just like how civil rights was “forced” onto the public
You still have yet to show how the Bible was used to try preventing these.

I don’t like kids being lied to and told that prejudice and discrimination are normal, and such deviant behaviors are not acceptable in secular society
so is being left handed.
you have never explained just what “gay education” is
You still have yet to accept that loving gays while disapproving of their actions is NOT "prejudice and discrimination." Am I prejudiced toward murderers? To those who steal? How about idolaters?

there are a lot of shows featuring black characters. Are you opposed to them as well?
Did I say I was? Have I indicated in any way that I am a racist?

it must be difficult to teach children to hate people who are different if that darn media and the evil school system presents minorities as human beings
I wouldn't know. I don't teach hate. And I never said I would not protray gays as "inhuman." You continue in your misquotes.

your sig references something from Star Trek. In 1966 eighteen NBC affiliates refused to air the show after the introduction of Lieutenants Uhura and Sulu because they were minorities and they were depicted as officers. Huge numbers of people protested the show because it forced liberal ideals onto the viewing public and made the job of parents countering such ideals that much harder
You clearly have not done your research. George Takei, the actor who played Sulu, did not "come out" until 2005. Nobody before then knew he was gay. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9845944/
A good try, but not good enough. Care to try again, my friend?

Upvote 0