Donald Trump biopic “The Apprentice” debuts at the Cannes Film Festival on Monday, draws decent reviews and Trump campaign lawsuit

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟845,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“We will be filing a lawsuit to address the blatantly false assertions from these pretend filmmakers. This garbage is pure fiction which sensationalizes lies that have been long debunked,” Steven Cheung, Trump’s campaign communications director, said in a statement to The Times. “This ‘film’ is pure malicious defamation, should not see the light of day, and doesn’t even deserve a place in the straight-to-DVD section of a bargain bin at a soon-to-be-closed discount movie store[.] t belongs in a dumpster fire.”

[Fortunately, director Ali Abbasi knows his subject.]

“Everybody talks about him suing a lot of people,” he said Tuesday at the film’s Cannes press conference, to laughter and applause from many in the room. “They don’t talk about his success rate, though.”

“This is really not a movie about Donald Trump,” he said, calling the notion of a partisan divide between conservative and liberal elites in the U.S. “a fantasy.” “This is a movie about a system and the way the system works, and the way the system is built and the way the power runs through the system.”

Written by former journalist Gabe Sherman, “The Apprentice” tracks Trump’s rise to prominence in 1970s and 1980s New York, where, under [Roy] Cohn’s wing, he develops the ruthlessness that will make him a power broker and media darling.

(A Canadian, Danish and Irish co-production, “The Apprentice” has not yet sold for U.S. distribution.)

At this instant, 67% fresh on rottentomatoes

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure on what grounds Trump could file a lawsuit.

Biopics are intended for entertainment purposes (by in large), they're not intended to be the same things as documentaries, and while biopics are better if they're more closely connected to historical accuracy, it's well-understood that there's some "creative freedom" involved in biopics, and no legal reason why they would have to be 100% accurate or omit dramatization.

The Iron Claw is another recent biopic about the wrestling family, The Von Erichs... lots of things that were either dramatized or historically inaccurate in there, yet Kevin Von Erich didn't try to sue Zac Efron.

Perhaps Trump should shore up his existing legal matters before trying embark on new ones.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,788.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No one here has seen this film. We're supposed to have an opinion? I guess the knee-jerk "orange man bad" is in order.

And, a film about Donald Trump is said to be a film not about Donald Trump. The doublespeak is strong here. Orwell would be proud.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No one here has seen this film. We're supposed to have an opinion? I guess the knee-jerk "orange man bad" is in order.

And, a film about Donald Trump is said to be a film not about Donald Trump. The doublespeak is strong here. Orwell would be proud.
Its about his apprentice, obviously.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟570,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Iron Claw is another recent biopic about the wrestling family, The Von Erichs... lots of things that were either dramatized or historically inaccurate in there, yet Kevin Von Erich didn't try to sue Zac Efron.
I went into that movie without having any idea of what it was about - I thought he was a boxer. I was not ready to be that depressed. Did you know the real story was actually worse?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The opinions about what may or may not be in the content is irrelevant.

I don't think it matters...if it's a biopic -which is for entertainment/drama purposes (and not a documentary), it wouldn't matter if they depicted him as a person with a speech impediment who promoted hot dog eating competitions, and then went to outer space to train a farm of cosmic bunny rabbits and called it "Wieners and Wabbits: The Donald Trump Story"

There'd still be no grounds to sue.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went into that movie without having any idea of what it was about - I thought he was a boxer. I was not ready to be that depressed. Did you know the real story was actually worse?
Yep, I'm a bit of a wrestling buff from back in the day, so that's how I knew some of the stuff they missed or got wrong. The biopic wasn't particularly flattering to the father (which Kevin noted)...and while Fritz certainly wasn't "father of the year", Kevin had mentioned that he still supported the movie and that he knew it's a movie and was for entertainment.

They actually left out one of the brothers who committed suicide (Chris), there were 5 that died and not 4, and they left out the part about his dad getting a brain tumor, going insane, and pointing at gun at him.

If you're looking for one that's more grounded in reality for all of it, the Vice documentary "Dark Side of the Ring: The last of the Von Erichs" was a more complete/accurate presentation.

But I digress, this thread is about something else lol

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟570,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep, I'm a bit of a wrestling buff from back in the day, so that's how I knew some of the stuff they missed or got wrong.

They actually left out one of the brothers who committed suicide (Chris), there were 5 that died and not 4, and they left out the part about his dad getting a brain tumor, going insane, and pointing at gun at him.
I knew about the other brother, I did not know about the dad getting a tumor. I did know the parents split up (which I don't think was in the movie) and then the dad died a couple years later.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,788.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The opinions about what may or may not be in the content is irrelevant.

I don't think it matters...if it's a biopic -which is for entertainment/drama purposes (and not a documentary), it wouldn't matter if they depicted him as a person with a speech impediment who promoted hot dog eating competitions, and then went to outer space to train a farm of cosmic bunny rabbits and called it "Wieners and Wabbits: The Donald Trump Story"

There'd still be no grounds to sue.
There are legal concepts of defamation and slander and libel. I can't say "ThatRobGuy is a pedophile human trafficker", and justify it by saying I was only trying to be entertaining.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Which one? Boy George?
I dont know any of their names. Trump was that kind of loudmouth [unprintable] 80's personality Id always avoid, even prior to any hints of politics.

Did Boy George ever meet Trump? That would be curious.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,788.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I dont know any of their names. Trump was that kind of loudmouth [unprintable] 80's personality Id always avoid, even prior to any hints of politics.

Did Boy George ever meet Trump? That would be curious.
I don't know. I don't watch TV, never saw the show. I had to go to Wiki to find a list of contestants and thought Boy George just sounded funny, because his first name is Boy.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are legal concepts of defamation and slander and libel. I can't say "ThatRobGuy is a pedophile human trafficker", and justify it by saying I was only trying to be entertaining.

If there were accusations of such, and the stories of the people around me were part of the biopic drama, then it would be fair game to dramatize.

There have been a list of unflattering biopics.

"The Social Network" is one that had several inaccuracies and wasn't particularly flattering to Zuckerberg.

"Jobs" would be another one

"Wolf of wall street" is another...

If this was the UK where they have stricter laws pertaining to such matters, he may have a shot.

The HBO Biopic "The Comey Rule" was another one that was very unflattering to Trump. Did any successful defamation suits stem from that?

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,788.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If there were accusations of such, and the stories of the people around me were part of the biopic drama, then it would be fair game to dramatize.

There have been a list of unflattering biopics.

"The Social Network" is one that had several inaccuracies and wasn't particularly flattering to Zuckerberg.

"Jobs" would be another one

"Wolf of wall street" is another...

If this was the UK where they have stricter laws pertaining to such matters, he may have a shot.

The HBO Biopic "The Comey Rule" was another one that was very unflattering to Trump. Did any successful defamation suits stem from that?
I'm unfamiliar with all of those films, but I'll say that there's a difference between being "unflattering" and making specific serious accusations such as rape.

The filmmaker is described as Iranian Danish (whatever that means). I'm not versed in international law, but I think you're right. Where the film is displayed (published) may make a difference in whether he has a shot at successfully suing.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No one here has seen this film. We're supposed to have an opinion?
This thread isn't about the film. It's about the lawsuit by DJT against the filmmakers.
I guess the knee-jerk "orange man bad" is in order.
That's just a statement of fact. No knees need be jerked.
Or it could be something more "artsy" that a lot of us just don't get or care for. Until we see the film we can't comment on any underlying themes the filmmakers presented. I mean it's totally possible to use people and events as vehicles to present a story that's actually not about those people and events directly. Who knows. I'm sure it won't be flattering certainly.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,788.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This thread isn't about the film. It's about the lawsuit by DJT against the filmmakers.
We can't have an opinion about a lawsuit unless we've seen the film which is the subject of the lawsuit.
That's just a statement of fact. No knees need be jerked.
The Earth is flat. That's just a statement of fact.
Or it could be something more "artsy" that a lot of us just don't get or care for. Until we see the film we can't comment on any underlying themes the filmmakers presented. I mean it's totally possible to use people and events as vehicles to present a story that's actually not about those people and events directly. Who knows. I'm sure it won't be flattering certainly.
Did you read the linked article? Sounds like it's 100% about Trump. And simultaneously the filmmaker does the "artsy fartsy" thing of saying it's not about Trump. :rolleyes: Don't know about you, but I wasn't born yesterday.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We can't have an opinion about a lawsuit unless we've seen the film which is the subject of the lawsuit.
Then that's what you can say. Or you can speculate on what arguments team trump will make, or any other opinions you might have about the lawsuit. Or speculate on the contents of the actual film. Whatever you want, man! Just understand that the scope of the OP is the lawsuit, not the contents of the film that no one but a select few have seen.
The Earth is flat. That's just a statement of fact.
That's one of them new-fangled "alternative facts." Gotcha.
Did you read the linked article? Sounds like it's 100% about Trump. And simultaneously the filmmaker does the "artsy fartsy" thing of saying it's not about Trump. :rolleyes: Don't know about you, but I wasn't born yesterday.
I've gone through this with several other posters about different topics and I just don't care to try and have an explanatory discussion about the underlying nuances of things people say and write. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't. Sometimes I think it's intentional (like when I was accused of supporting murdering innocent people when it was clearly a reference, which I even provided), but I just don't care enough to have that level of discussion most of the time. So, yeah. Whatever.

• Agree
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know. I don't watch TV, never saw the show. I had to go to Wiki to find a list of contestants and thought Boy George just sounded funny, because his first name is Boy.
It’s a “stage name”, you know, like Archibald Leech became “Cary Grant” or Marion Morrison became “John Wayne” .

Upvote 0