Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday at 08:07 PM lucaspa said this in Post #65 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=680504#post680504)
Remember that some species of amoeba have a larger number of base pairs than humans. So complexity and information is not related to the size of the genome.

I don't know why you have resorted once again to misrepresenting my position. Perhaps it is because your own position is untenable and you got caught with your pants down because you didn't know of reductive evolution. I never claimed that complexity and information is related to the size of the genome, I claimed that it is possible (though not the only means) for an organism to evolve by dropping information, which would result in it's losing the ability to perform certain functions. In these particular cases, it would most definitely be a loss of complexity.

This one I question. If they have the entiregenome sequenced, they don't need to use the crude method of G+C content. They can compare sequences directly.

If you had any clue, you'd realize that G+C content is the first and simplest way to scan a genome to look for foreign DNA. You cannot compare 1.5 million base pairs of DNA that is one organism that isn't in another, can you? If the G+C content of that extra 1.5 MB though is divergent from that of the sequence you can compare however one can surmise that that DNA was not 'donated' to the larger genome by a common ancestor but rather was acquired from another species (either bacteria or more likely phage).

This is a complete non-sequitor. It doesn't tell you what the divergence from the common ancestor is or how many base pairs it had. There is no evidence for the number of base pairs the common ancestor had. And your G+C content doesn't say that the common ancestor had to have the same number of base pairs as Bb. Nor is relationship determined on the quantity of base pairs.

You are really hung up on this G+C content business when all it's showing is that there was no major foreign acceptance of DNA on the part of Bb which does, clearly indicate, that Bp has lost information while Bb has strayed less from the common ancestor. If Bb had acquired a large dose of information in the form of foreign DNA, the G+C scan of the genome would indicate such (phage DNA is typically in the 30% G+C range whereas Bb is in the 50% G+C range).

Notice the phrase "obligate intracellular pathogen". This means that they are using the cell's machinery for part of their metabolism. Remember when we discussed the metabolic costs of producing proteins that are not needed?

Then how do you explain the following in that very abstract?

Mycobacterium leprae has the longest doubling time of all known bacteria and has thwarted every effort at culture in the laboratory.

M. leprae, an obligate intracellular pathogen, grows worse. One would think that by dropping this redundant machinery, that it would grow as well, or perhaps better. In this instance, it grows much much worse.

Also, Bp is not an obligate intracellular pathogen but went through a similar (but not as drastic) reductive evolutionary process. How do you explain this?

It has nothing to do with your claim that evolution is always a loss of information.

Lucaspa, is this typical of the way you argue... misrepresenting your opponents argument? If you can't find where I said that evolution is always a loss of information, something that is ridiculous in and of itself, I expect you to retract this comment.

Here we don't have a loss of information, but a transfer of the information to the host DNA.

I don't know how you came to this conclusion. The abstract states that the genes in mitochondria and R. prowazekii were lost because those functions were found in the host. The abstract never states that the genes were transfered... you need to read the abstract better. This is a case of reductive evolution. It is the same exact thing that happened to M. leprae

The non-coding sequences are remnants of genes that were turned off because their function was replaced by host genes. This isn't "reductive evolution" and the abstract doesn't state it is.

So because they don't use the term "reductive evolution" it means that it isn't? Are you kidding me? This is the same exact thing that we're seeing with M. leprae, but to a lesser extent (given the much higher proportion of pseudogenes in M. leprae as compared to R. prowazekii.

In closing, I said:
All three point to instances where information is lost

To which you replied:
I'm afraid none of them do.  Try again.

Hmmm... if the loss of 1.5MB in Bp, dropout of ~24% of the genes in R. prowazekii and over 50% in M. leprae cannot be considered a loss of information, exactly what would you consider a loss in information?

:scratch:

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday at 08:21 PM lucaspa said this in Post #67 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=680534#post680534)

What you want to do is find examples of gene reduction is independent organisms. In parasites you are simply shuffling the information from parasite to host.

Wrong. Very very wrong. The fact that an organism (doesn't matter if it is a parasite or not) is removing information from it's own genome means it is reducing it's complexity. Doesn't matter if it is borrowing it from elsewhere, the fact remains that it's own DNA content is reduced, it has changed (evolved).

Comparative analysis of ribosomal proteins in complete genomes: an example of reductive evolution at the domain scale.
Nucleic Acids Res. 2002 Dec 15;30(24):5382-90.
This first documented case of reductive evolution at the domain scale provides a new framework for discussing the shape of the universal tree of life and the selective forces directing the evolution of prokaryotes.

You don't think I'll look up the abstract and paper on my own to check it out? Is that why you think you can misquote?

You fool. You think if I'm going to quote an abstract and intentionally misrepresent it, that I'm going to provide you with the information to track it down? I also didn't misquote it, I copy/pasted, word for word the last sentence which specifically mentioned the word reductive evolution, because this IS a case of reductive evolution. Fool!

If you were in my department, we would have flunked you out by now for intellectual dishonesty and failure to adhere to the ethics of science.

How you got hired in the first place is beyond me! You have misquoted me, you have misrepresented my argument (speaking of intellectual dishonesty!), and you can't even read an abstract properly. No doubt you'll stay an associate professor for a long time to come.

What are the size of the Archaea genomes? Compared to eukaryotes and bacterial?

Comparable to bacterial, but larger. Nowhere near the size of eukaryotic species which are thousands of times larger than both the archaea and eubacteria. So what's your point?

Again, it's another example of shifting information to the host genome.

Again, makes no difference. This is still a reduction in the content/complexity of the genome being studied.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday at 08:21 PM lucaspa said this in Post #67

Studying genomes through the aeons: protein families, pseudogenes and proteome evolution.
J Mol Biol. 2002 May 17;318(5):1155-74. Review.
In particular, the genome sequences of certain pathogenic bacteria (Mycobacterium leprae, Yersinia pestis and Rickettsia prowazekii) show how an organism can undergo reductive evolution on a large scale (i.e. the dying out of families) as a result of niche change. There appears to be less pressure to delete pseudogenes in eukaryotes.

All the examples are obligatory intracellular parasites. They use the host genes and machinery -- having the same or greater information but stored in two different places.

I don't know what planet you live on, but on the planet I live on, Yersinia pestis isn't an obligate intracellular parasite, rendering your objection moot.

Upvote 0

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
Lewis Wildermuth said:
Then God is personaly responsible for many sadistic things we find in nature and we are at the same crossroads Christianity faced over 500 years ago. Nature does not portray a loving and kind God. Evolution was embraced by many Christians because it explains the world in a way that still allows a loving God, creationism and ID do not.

A strange mix of perspectives here. I'd like to hear why evolution explains the world in a way that still allows a loving God. Evolution is a process characterised by mutations and deformity that are the result of random events or accidents, rather than purposeful design. It is about a life and death struggle for existence where the strong rule and the weak get crushed. It is nonsense to assert this reflects the character of God. It reflects peoples ignorance of God. The response from lucaspa seems to miss your point, but it does demonstrate why the process of evolution is inconsistent with Creation.

Lucaspa said:
Good point. Nyj, pay close attention here. If you think God guides the daily processes of evolution directly, then you have just made God responsible for all the poor designs in the human body and every other organism.

Which is precisely the reason God did not use evolution during the 6 day period of Creation. I'm glad you recognise that the process of evolution is incompatible with what the rest of Scripture teaches about God, and hence creation.

Upvote 0

RazorX

¤The Blade of Truth¤
Jan 13, 2003
Classified
✟16,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="90%" align=center border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD><B>quote:</B></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; COLOR: #ffffff; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #828fa2">...&nbsp;then you have just made God responsible for all the poor designs in the human body and every other organism.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>What poor designs? God made the world and everything in it, and he said it was Good!&nbsp; Even with your diff. interpretations of the bible, the bible clearly states that we were made with Gods satisfaction.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is about a life and death struggle for existence where the strong rule and the weak get crushed. It is nonsense to assert this reflects the character of God. It reflects peoples ignorance of God.

AMEN 100%!

1 Cor 13: 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

so how in the world can one say God used evolution??

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is about a life and death struggle for existence where the strong rule and the weak get crushed. It is nonsense to assert this reflects the character of God. It reflects peoples ignorance of God.
Not really, it's actually very logical and makes alot of sense.

If you were a rabbit being chased by a fox and had "faster running genes" then you will most likely survive so your genes will be preserved and you can pass them on to the next generation, whereas if you had "slow running genes" you are more likely to get caught and your genes will not be preserved and will not be passed on to the next generation. I'm sure someone has a better example, but you get the idea. How is this not logial?

AMEN 100%!

1 Cor 13: 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

so how in the world can one say God used evolution??
Well we don't ignore the evidence for a start.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This is a non-issue, because science has yet to offer ANY theory of origins. The only theory which exists to date is that given in the Bible, ie that God created the world.

Don't try to tell me that the "big bang" is a theory of origins. It isn't. All it does is theorise about what might have happened AFTER the universe had already got started, at 1E-43 seconds. However what happened before that time, specifically at 0- seconds, it doesn't say.

Hawking, in his books, repeatedly asserts that prior to 1E-43 seconds "the laws of science broke down". What is he saying exactly? That anything and everything was possible! That miracles occurred! You see, if the "laws of science break down", then EVERYTHING becomes a miracle. What a convenient way to gloss over the many impossibilities of the theory!

This realisation forced Hawking into bizarre theories, where time allegedly wraps around from end to end, etc. In other words, a modified form of the steady state theory, totally unsupported by facts. Most significantly, it doesn't solve the problem of origins, it sidesteps it and hopes we don't notice. A bit like the crazies who pretend they've discovered how life began by claiming it arrived from outer space. Duh...

Several years ago, as a committed evolutionist with a long science background and excellent personal library, I sat down to determine precisely how the big bang occurred. The objective was to try and fill in the gaps which all the leading scientists were appearing to dodge. I quickly discovered that the BB violates every fundamental scientific law, and for at least six different reasons cannot even get off the ground. It's absolutely impossible! The entire theory of evolution is an undisciplined mess, and fails at every major point from BB to people (there are about ten major steps). Modern science has built a monstrous edifice based on evolution, but when you look at the foundations, you find nothing but vapour. This is the truth.

Then I got saved and discovered REAL science, revealed by the Creator God who knows all things. The science of God is so far beyond man's puny efforts, that it's no wonder he can't figure it out! Believe what you like, but trust me, evolution is for people with the brains of monkeys.

I believe the earth was created 6000 years ago; that Adam brought sin into the world; and that Jesus Christ shed His blood and was crucified to take the punishment due to us off our shoulders, to save us from certain death; that He rose on the third day, and that those who repent and believe in Him receive forgiveness and everlasting life. Amen.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Peter N,

"The entire theory of evolution is an undisciplined mess, and fails at every major point from BB to people "

Evolution does not deal with cosmology, the origin of the universe, or the origin of life. These topics are addressed outside of evolution, and for the most part, outside of the science of biology.

You are really discussing several topics of mainstream science. Evolution only deals with the change over time of animals and plants.

A committed "evolutionist" would have known this.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Several years ago, as a committed evolutionist with a long science background and excellent personal library, I sat down to determine precisely how the big bang occurred. The objective was to try and fill in the gaps which all the leading scientists were appearing to dodge. I quickly discovered that the BB violates every fundamental scientific law, and for at least six different reasons cannot even get off the ground. It's absolutely impossible! The entire theory of evolution is an undisciplined mess, and fails at every major point from BB to people (there are about ten major steps). Modern science has built a monstrous edifice based on evolution, but when you look at the foundations, you find nothing but vapour. This is the truth.
Is your "long science backround" several issues of "New Scientist" because you just sound like your repeating the "science" of AiG and co.

Evolution is biology and therefore has nothing to do with the BB and it explains biodiversity, not the origin of life.

Upvote 0
"Evolution is biology and therefore has nothing to do with the BB"

Your point is irrelevant - they both assume an increase of complexity due to unguided chaotic processes. As for the New Scientist quip - you'll have to do better than that!

I'll say it again: Modern science, for all of its loathsome arrogance, has yet to put forward a viable theory of origins. The Big Bang is&nbsp;pure deception, because it says nothing about the very beginning, only what supposedly happens afterwards. Therefore it is not a theory of origins, and&nbsp;despite pretending otherwise, modern science has not told us how everything came into existence.

If you have&nbsp;a viable theory of origins which works, and which doesn't violate both logic&nbsp;and&nbsp;the&nbsp;fundamental laws of science,&nbsp;then please present it! But you'd better make sure it's good, because I know my stuff. God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 10:34 AM Peter N said this in Post #84 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=706878#post706878)

"Evolution is biology and therefore has nothing to do with the BB"

Your point is irrelevant - they both assume an increase of complexity due to unguided chaotic processes. As for the New Scientist quip - you'll have to do better than that!

I'll say it again: Modern science, for all of its loathsome arrogance, has yet to put forward a viable theory of origins. The Big Bang is&nbsp;pure deception, because it says nothing about the very beginning, only what supposedly happens afterwards. Therefore it is not a theory of origins, and&nbsp;despite pretending otherwise, modern science has not told us how everything came into existence.

If you have&nbsp;a viable theory of origins which works, and which doesn't violate both logic&nbsp;and&nbsp;the&nbsp;fundamental laws of science,&nbsp;then please present it! But you'd better make sure it's good, because I know my stuff. God bless.

Good to hear from another Christian who is not ashamed to say they trust the word of God over man's proud imaginations. I look forward to reading your future comments.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Evolution is not choatic, it works via natural SELECTION.

Whose to say God did not guide the big bang and evolution?

Upvote 0
Whose to say God did not guide the big bang and evolution?

Well, how about God Himself?

"For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:8)

He says He made the world in six days, in the Ten Commandments.

"And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of stone, written with the finger of God." (Exodus 31:18)

To make sure there was no mistake, God wrote it in stone with His own finger.

"And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female' " (Matthew 19:4)

The words of Jesus Christ, the most ethical and upright man who has ever lived. Are you saying He was telling a lie?

"God is not a man, that He should lie" (Numbers 23:19)

Your call.

Upvote 0
I'd hate to rely on your "intuition", because you're wrong on every count. However I'm not here to blow my own trumpet, and it doesn’t seem like you want to find the truth anyway.

Your tag line says it all. Nobody is more blind to the mountains of evidence in favour of special creation and against evolution, than evolutionists. Yours is a religion second to none. Furthermore, I'm not aware of even a single observation, which interpreted properly, disproves special creation.

Finally, having tried to start a dialogue on the grey areas of evolutionism, and finding little interest from its supporters in defending their position, it's probably time for me to bow out. I’ve been in these types of discussions before, and found they invariably lead nowhere. As Jesus Christ said, when people don't receive you, shake the dust from your feet and let the dead bury the dead.

The day will come when you will regret that you closed your mind to the truth on so many occasions, and were&nbsp;unreasonably abusive to people who meant you no harm. I wish you well. God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.