• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

dealing with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have a problem dealing with people that think they are disadvantaged.
They have problems like long term ankle pain, say they have terrible back pain, but move normally.
Claim some small disability and demand to get welfare for this.

Why is it the minor set backs people think they have it so rough and the severe disadvantages think they have it so well?

a woman that had chronic ankle pain expected the world to wait on her and wouldn't think of working.
another patient could only move her mouth with any accuracy, had uncontrollable
muscle movements, and had chronic infections that almost killed her several times. She used a joystick controlling her wheel chair to get her around and then had another joystick to use her computer.
She hated to miss any work, yes I said work. She used her computer to help the United Cerebral palsy people get there message out.
You can't get more handicapped then this and still do anything, but she always smiled.
I guess it's all in the attitude. "The world owes me" or "I can do anything"
Don't feel sorry for the handicapped, they show who they are, in how they deal with it.
Anytime I want to complain I think of the 2nd woman. Then the complaint seems to fade.:angel:
She is a Christian, I will look her up after we die,to see her free of the human wreckage she embraces happily. She will fly high then. God puts these people here to show us how trivial things are on earth.

ever

Mar 13, 2004
Canada
✟15,276.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with you about having a good attitude and realizing that there are people a lot worse off. But at the same time, don't be to quick to judge everyone. You can't know what another person is experiencing, you can't always tell how severe one's pain is from looking, or how able they are mentally and emotionally to deal with their disabilities.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
True, as a nurse I overcome the prejudice and hopefully my ill feelings never come out.
But if people only counted their blessings instead of their shortcomings.

I am a short man, I looked at this as a curse in school, I even drove myself harder to make sure I was never short on ability. I learned to laughed when I was picked last, as I could play most sports better then average.

In the Air force, I could low crawl(yes the AIR FORCE KNOWS WHAT LOW CRAWLING IS) faster then anyother person in basic or tech school. I could climb on supply stacks others wouldn't even think about(5'4 and 110 lbs) and my disadvantage was my blessing.

Now I don't look at myself as short, just blessed.

Upvote 0

ShetlandRose

Loves Dogs!
Jan 18, 2004
Land of Hiawatha
✟1,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My hero is my friend who is a quadriplegic. I would give just about anything to see him walk. I have frequent dreams about him, and he is always able-bodied and walking and tall. If ever I begin to complain about my lot in life, he comes to my mind, but not in the form of pity. I would be ashamed to be less of a person than he is. He is compassionate, intelligent, clever and witty--and brave--very brave. He is not afraid to speak up for others and hold up standards of what is right and what is wrong.

I won't have to look him up when I get to heaven. If I go first, I shall wait by the gate for him to arrive, and if he would like, we can walk a ways together side by side. :angel:

Upvote 0

Kira Faye

Spiritualist Witch
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟1,172.00
Faith
Pagan
But u got to give urslef some credit, u can't live life sayign I can't complain cause there is some one else worse then me. Whatever happened to me is a mystery, I do spend every now and again thinkign why me, what I woudl give to be better again, but then I have my sadness and get on with life. There were times I was in so much pain I was seriously goign to run over my arm with a car cause that had to hurt alot less. People don;t really see me as disabled and as such cause they can't see it and I dont; consider myself diabiled, but my body isn't perfect so its not perfectly abled. Though I do agree some peopel ham it up quiet abit, I got to work when I can't walk properly only use one arm on checkouts and hardly had any sleep cause of huge heaches that have me close to smashing my head hoping to kncok myself out so the pain will be gone, but I still carry on.......I don't see it is as being brave or for people to look up to me for any reason and that I'm special, its just u do it.........

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.