Could Vienna’s approach to affordable housing work in California?

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The thing that Nordic countries and some western European countries have done well is cherry pick the best aspects of the welfare state, and the meritocracy, and make them work in unison and complementary systems. In the US, "welfare state" is taboo among staunch conservatives, and "meritocracy" is taboo among staunch progressives.
We agree on something!

However, I would not describe the social systems of Western Europe as 'cherry picking'. Politically Austria and Sweden are very different. Their histories in the Twentieth Century have been very different; it is hardly surprising that these two countries have arrived at different solutions to their social issues.

American conservatives appear to loathe anything that smacks of spending their tax dollars on welfare. Most Western Europeans see such expenditure more as investment in people rather than a drain on private wealth. (Perhaps this is the real discussion we should be having?)

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We agree on something!

However, I would not describe the social systems of Western Europe as 'cherry picking'. Politically Austria and Sweden are very different. Their histories in the Twentieth Century have been very different; it is hardly surprising that these two countries have arrived at different solutions to their social issues.

American conservatives appear to loathe anything that smacks of spending their tax dollars on welfare. Most Western Europeans see such expenditure more as investment in people rather than a drain on private wealth. (Perhaps this is the real discussion we should be having?)
I would agree that they see it as an investment, which is why they treat it as an investment and those social benefits aren't doled out as "willy nilly, loose & free" as some people seem to have this image in their mind of.

Many seem to think that these countries are providing these particular services for free, and in a way that gels with their lifestyles and/or passions.

That's often not the case, these countries aren't just looking to throw money away.

For instance, when you look at the staggeringly low number/percentage of people being able to get degrees in Finland in fields like Philosophy, Visual/Performing Arts, and Journalism that I posted previously, and then compare that to what we have in the US:

We have 90k fresh people graduating with Journalism degrees and 88k fresh grads with Fine arts degrees every year in the US.

Despite the fact that there's not near enough stable jobs out there for those specialties to justify it.
According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, the job forecast for those two fields are
Journalism: 4,600 full-time openings per year, over the next 10 years
Visual and Performing arts: 2,700 per year over the next 5 years (much of it not full-time salaried work)

The Nordic countries are smart and prudent, they keep an eye on those numbers, which is why they say "We're expecting between 150 and 200 openings per year in the Journalism field over of the next 5 years, and we know some of those will be filled by people who've already gotten their degrees in years past, so we're only going to have 80 opening in Journalism studies this year, and we'll be accepting the 80 applicants who show the most promise in that field after a rigorous and selective application process"

If you talk to some of the young people here about tuition-free education and student debt forgiveness, that's clearly not the idea that's in their head. They've gotten in their mind that it means "I'll be able to pursue and study this thing that's my current passion with no barriers to entry (with the option to change majors part way through if I like something better in 2 years), and I won't be obligated to pay anything for it"

That's not what the Nordic model is doing. The nordic model is treating it like you said, as an investment... and wise investment dictates that sometimes you have to be blunt and honest with people and say "sorry, you're not studying fine arts, there a very limited number of jobs in it, and we don't think you're good enough to be in the top 10% of applicants". It means being pragmatic enough to be able to acknowledge the fact that a person can be deeply passionate about something, but still kinda suck at it. (to put it more bluntly)

As it pertains to the Vienna model
If you look at some of the details I mentioned before about some of the specifics and rules encapsulating the Vienna social housing model (that some of the glowing favorable articles neglected to mention), there are social buy-ins for that, that young people here wouldn't like if they knew the details.

For instance, the city residency requirements (if you're an able bodied person, you have to be living in and working in the city for multiple years to even get on the waiting list).

The move-in fees/taxes are quite pricey (up to $30k...so you're still gonna have to either save up some money or do some financing).

You don't get to pick your own unit, the government picks it for you. Which means the "Well, y'know, I'd really like to have that nicer new one that's over by the museums and coffee shops, I really think the exposed brick, hardwood floors, and ample natural light would match my style and furniture better and would be better for entertaining, and I absolutely LOVE that balcony" isn't going to be a thing. You may get lucky enough to be assigned to one of those, but there's more quite old buildings than new ones, so there's a very real chance that after that 2 year wait, you get assigned to one that was built in the 1940s that's extremely drab, with only 2 small exterior facing windows, a tiny awkwardly shaped living room, and wallpaper and bathrooms that look like they haven't been updated since the 1970s.

You meet that special girl or guy who you think you'd like to have move in with you? Well, they have to go through all that application stuff now too before they can become a permanent resident, at which point, they reevaluate the household income. Or worse, you and a BF/GF moved into one together from the start, and now want to break up... one party now has to get back on a waiting list if want to get another place in the city to be able to move out (since the majority of housing is social housing), and the other could be stuck with the original rent amount that was decided based upon the 25% rule of both combined incomes.

Per Austria's own data, for the city of Vienna (2022)
1,598 registered partnerships were established and 138 were dissolved. (1 separation for every 10 new registered partnerships... compared to the US where for the same year, there was 1 separation for every 2 new new partnerships)

Either they've found the secret to happy home lives, or, it's a very real possibility that people may be kind of trapped in some less-than-stellar relationships due to the reasons I mentioned and how the social housing program can lock a person in.

So in the case of both models, there's some great public services people are getting, but there's a lot of freedoms/flexibilities they're giving up that they're not fully considering when being so eager to embrace these models.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 346985
(and if they want to make it look nicer, it's on them to do the work and cover the expenses for modernizing)
Thats a rather unflattering portrait of socialized housing.

In America we have some unflattering portraits of free market housing.

91bd88f8-df22-4f56-9b70-c9793b851f79-homeless_camp_with_trash.jpg

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would agree that they see it as an investment, which is why they treat it as an investment and those social benefits aren't doled out as "willy nilly, loose & free" as some people seem to have this image in their mind of.

Many seem to think that these countries are providing these particular services for free, and in a way that gels with their lifestyles and/or passions.

I think almost everybody is aware that the cost of providing social housing falls on taxpayers. In countries with functioning social provision it is an area of frequent vigorous debate. In America that understanding is one of the the principle reasons why social provision is so little implemented.

You don't get to pick your own unit, the government picks it for you.

That is is a distortion. Available accommodation is offered to those on the list as it comes up. Clients can only accept or refuse what is available. Just as in the private real estate market the choice is always restricted; it is only possible to buy what is on offer.

Per Austria's own data, for the city of Vienna (2022)
1,598 registered partnerships were established and 138 were dissolved. (1 separation for every 10 new registered partnerships... compared to the US where for the same year, there was 1 separation for every 2 new new partnerships)

Either they've found the secret to happy home lives, or, it's a very real possibility that people may be kind of trapped in some less-than-stellar relationships due to the reasons I mentioned and how the social housing program can lock a person in.

That's absurd! Are you really suggesting that the dysfunction of American relationships is in some way evidence that the break-up rate of Viennese couples is related to Viennese social housing policy? And that the difficulties of expensive accommodation allows more breakups in America? One of us, at least is confused.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....You don't get to pick your own unit, the government picks it for you..... [in the Vienna model]
I see youve been challenged on this. Where exactly did you get this bit of info, so I can review it for myself?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
54 degrees in math and all the natural sciences for the whole country??? That cannot be right.
What I posted was for the year 2019

Hans posted some stats from the year 2023. Which you can see, the numbers are still quite low compared to what one would expect for a country of that size.

Here's the data for 2022

But it's possible that it's a clash of nomenclature with regards to the designations for the different degree types... the site Hans provided lists "faculty of science", which also includes medical science (which is the largest category from the Statista source), so some of those numbers could fall under the "Health" category shown in the sources I posted.

That is is a distortion. Available accommodation is offered to those on the list as it comes up. Clients can only accept or refuse what is available. Just as in the private real estate market the choice is always restricted; it is only possible to buy what is on offer.
How is it a distortion?...you go to a government website after you've waited 3 years, and they say "these are the 3 you're allowed to pick from"...and they're taking private ownership and bargaining off the table, how is that not "the government choosing"? If your number comes up, and 3 crappy ones from 1940s are all that's available, how is what I said inaccurate?

Do you honestly think it's as simple as "okay, well I don't like those, so keep me at the top of the list until one of those nice new ones you built become available?"

You don't think there's a mad rush on "I want one of the new ones with granite countertops next to the trendy part of town" and that people often are forced to "settle"?

That's absurd! Are you really suggesting that the dysfunction of American relationships is in some way evidence that the break-up rate of Viennese couples is related to Viennese social housing policy? And that the difficulties of expensive accommodation allows more breakups in America? One of us, at least is confused.

No, what I'm saying is that we all know people will stay in less-than-stellar relationships for financial reasons. IE: there's women who will stay with men who cheat on them (or worse) because they have a house and money.

What happens when a person's in a terrible relationship, but breaking up and moving out means getting on a 2-year waiting list to find another place in the city?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But it's possible that it's a clash of nomenclature with regards to the designations for the different degree types... the site Hans provided lists "faculty of science", which also includes medical science (which is the largest category from the Statista source), so some of those numbers could fall under the "Health" category shown in the sources I posted.

There is a side panel directory structure visible on the very page I linked. It gives links to the various departments in the "faculty of science" -- chemistry, physics, math & stats, comp sci, geology. Nothing there that could be confused for "health". ("Faculty of X" is the name used in many European countries for subdivisions of a university usually called "college" or "school" at US universities.)

Those categories used by "statistica" were quite odd, frankly.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a side panel directory structure visible on the very page I linked. It gives links to the various departments in the "faculty of science" -- chemistry, physics, math & stats, comp sci, geology. Nothing there that could be confused for "health". ("Faculty of X" is the name used in many European countries for subdivisions of a university usually called "college" or "school" at US universities.)

Those categories used by "statistica" were quite odd, frankly.
I'd grant that premise...

But I think my underlying point still stands, if we were to adopt the Nordic model for education, there'd be some aspects of that that the progressive left who tout the model, would undoubtedly not like a whole lot.

The main one being, that they tailor their quotas to market demand, which means that if they estimate that there will only be X number of job openings in the fields of fine arts and journalism, they're not going to pay for X times 10 number of people to go study those things in terms of public investments.

People tend to overestimate how much their "passion" is worth to a functioning society. (and also tend to overestimate how good they are at it)

"If we just did things like <insert European country here> everything would be so much better" only applies when we're taking the things that are both good, and more challenging.

There's no functioning society on the planet that can guarantee housing, food, luxuries, etc... to everyone on the sole basis of what they claim to be passionate about or what they think is "fun". That's just the harsh reality.

If that were the case, the world would be full of "video game analysts" and "pizza taste testers", because nobody would mop up after a toilet overflowed if everyone was guaranteed housing and necessities to "pursue their passion".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'd grant that premise...

But I think my underlying point still stands, if we were to adopt the Nordic model for education, there'd be some aspects of that that the progressive left who tout the model, would undoubtedly not like a whole lot.
I don't know who those people are. I don't think I am one of them. I just want public education to be better funded.
The main one being, that they tailor their quotas to market demand, which means that if they estimate that there will only be X number of job openings in the fields of fine arts and journalism, they're not going to pay for X times 10 number of people to go study those things in terms of public investments.
If you say so. Your posts are all I've ever heard of this mode of "quotas" being used.
People tend to overestimate how much their "passion" is worth to a functioning society. (and also tend to overestimate how good they are at it)
Part of the problem with this kind of analysis of the American Higher Education "system" is that you just can't "go to college". You have to pick *some* specialized field. Even most of the people I have seen get Ph.D.s in physics don't do science professionally. That's just the way it is. Many jobs don't have specific targeted degree programs anyway.
"If we just did things like <insert European country here> everything would be so much better" only applies when we're taking the things that are both good, and more challenging.

There's no functioning society on the planet that can guarantee housing, food, luxuries, etc... to everyone on the sole basis of what they claim to be passionate about or what they think is "fun". That's just the harsh reality.

If that were the case, the world would be full of "video game analysts" and "pizza taste testers", because nobody would mop up after a toilet overflowed if everyone was guaranteed housing and necessities to "pursue their passion".

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you honestly think it's as simple as "okay, well I don't like those, so keep me at the top of the list until one of those nice new ones you built become available?"
Of course not. Please don't put words into my mouth.

Social housing has been an aspect of life in the UK too, so I am very familiar with how it works. There is always a limited choice, which is all you are saying too.

People are always free to decline offers. That is not the authority's choice - it is theirs. That is the distortion you have spun.

Maybe you don't approve of local government holding housing stock, especially when public funds deriving ultimately from taxation have been used to build it. I do and the Austrian people do, despite issues of availability. The way to ameliorate the problem of choice and aging accommodation is to build and upgrade. This is a proper investment in local communities.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know who those people are. I don't think I am one of them. I just want public education to be better funded.
As do I...

But that's not what "Free college for all" types have in their mind.

If you say so. Your posts are all I've ever heard of this mode of "quotas" being used.

I linked it before, but here's the specific part:
Admissions to tertiary education in Finland are restricted for all programmes and fields of study. Tertiary institutions set the number of admissions after negotiating funding with the central government, and admissions to different programmes and fields are based on expected labour-market demand. As many as 67% of applicants to first-degree tertiary education are rejected in Finland – the highest proportion among countries with available data, closely followed by Sweden (63%). As in Sweden, the field of study with the highest share of students rejected is social sciences, journalism and information, where over three-quarters of applicants are rejected

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As do I...

But that's not what "Free college for all" types have in their mind.

I linked it before, but here's the specific part:
Admissions to tertiary education in Finland are restricted for all programmes and fields of study. Tertiary institutions set the number of admissions after negotiating funding with the central government, and admissions to different programmes and fields are based on expected labour-market demand. As many as 67% of applicants to first-degree tertiary education are rejected in Finland – the highest proportion among countries with available data, closely followed by Sweden (63%). As in Sweden, the field of study with the highest share of students rejected is social sciences, journalism and information, where over three-quarters of applicants are rejected
I don't know what the point of this is. No one advocated for the Nordic model of higher education here, did they? This thread was about an approach to housing in Austria, which is not even close to Scandinavia.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what the point of this is. No one advocated for the Nordic model of higher education here, did they? This thread was about an approach to housing in Austria, which is not even close to Scandinavia.
Not in this particular thread, but it has parallels (as do most European social welfare programs) to this conversation...

In that, younger people here get the readers digest version of social programs in other countries by US political factions (that highlight only the "good parts"), and then back those same politicians who are pushing for unsustainable versions of said programs that lack necessary prudence and guardrails that make those programs sustainable in our country.

Which means, they won't be voting for an actual "Vienna Model"

They'll be voting for this

Under the misguided premise of "Well, it worked in Vienna...and this is the same thing right??"

While conveniently ignoring the fact that Vienna is able to make that work because
A) There's extremely strict immigration requirements for the entire country, and very strict residency requirements. (which means they'll have to compromise on some of their positions on immigration)
B) People there are willing to "settle" for a relatively "plain" place to live.
C) This was a decision Vienna made a long time ago, so a lot of the land was already allocated for housing, which made it possible to be a "walking city". And it allowed for it to become the norm where people live in the same city they work in. That's not going to be the case for a lot of major US cities.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not in this particular thread, but it has parallels (as do most European social welfare programs) to this conversation...
Umm. Wait, how many Euro social programs were discussed in this thread anyway. I only recall your injection of Finnish higher education (that's where I came in properly).
In that, younger people here get the readers digest version of social programs in other countries by US political factions (that highlight only the "good parts"), and then back those same politicians who are pushing for unsustainable versions of said programs that lack necessary prudence and guardrails that make those programs sustainable in our country.
As you may have noticed, political platforms and campaigns tend to be rather thin on fine details (or sometimes any details at all) nor are the voters particularly interested in them. I don't think the voters are necessarily wrong. We don't have a parliament or strong party system, so any package is going to have to be negotiated after they are in office, not before in the party manifesto, and there is no point making vary specific promises and potentially getting opposition for very specific things that will likely not be included after negotiations.

I don't know what "sustainable" means in this context. The big issue for continuation of new programs is funding and we all know how both sides like to go after the funding for the other's pet projects once power swaps.
Which means, they won't be voting for an actual "Vienna Model"

They'll be voting for this

Under the misguided premise of "Well, it worked in Vienna...and this is the same thing right??"
Any actual plan of such sorts is always going to be in the American style: new scope to old programs, more money for old programs, new pilot programs, block grants, tax incentives, industry subsidies, etc. A national housing (especially boosting public housing) isn't going to address the core problems in housing availability in our cites like zoning.

I'm not sure how many of them would have even heard of the "Vienna model". I've seen lots of references to European social programs and policies and never heard of the "Vienna model" for housing until this very thread. (And given the number of distractions in the thread, I'm not quite sure what it really is either.)
While conveniently ignoring the fact that Vienna is able to make that work because
A) There's extremely strict immigration requirements for the entire country, and very strict residency requirements. (which means they'll have to compromise on some of their positions on immigration)
Not sure what immigration has to do with this. Most US social welfare programs are only open to US citizens and permanent residents only anyway.
B) People there are willing to "settle" for a relatively "plain" place to live.
We are talking about government provided housing. I don't know why anyone would think it would be "fancy".
C) This was a decision Vienna made a long time ago, so a lot of the land was already allocated for housing, which made it possible to be a "walking city". And it allowed for it to become the norm where people live in the same city they work in. That's not going to be the case for a lot of major US cities.
The walkability of cities is largely tied to how much development and growth occurred before and after the availability of cars.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Id still like to review the source where you got this.
I replied to the other user with:

How is it a distortion?...you go to a government website after you've waited 3 years, and they say "these are the 3 you're allowed to pick from"...and they're taking private ownership and bargaining off the table, how is that not "the government choosing"? If your number comes up, and 3 crappy ones from 1940s are all that's available, how is what I said inaccurate?

Here's a user doing an "AMA" about it:
1715029935791.png

While they still think it's an overall "excellent system", they outline some of the parts that aren't well-advertised.

This site links to some of their resources where you can peruse the process and the rules (if you use the google translate tool...unless you're fluent in German)

But the allocation criteria is based on more of a "to each according to his need" mindset (not surprising that their largest complex is named after, and has a big statue out front of, Karl Marx). For instance, if I as a non-married person with no kids wanted one, they would show me only the available ones, that "meet my needs" (not my wants, my needs). If you want a bigger one (that has either extra bedrooms, or more living space), you need to provide a justification for that. And I'm guessing that "well, I want a 3 bedroom because I want to have one spare room to be used as an office, and another spare bedroom for a guest room" isn't going to be an approved reason.

So, unless we're splitting hairs over vernacular here.

If I were to register, put in my household situation, they'd show me my spot on the waiting list, and when my ticket came up 2 years from now, they'd then show me the filtered list of the ones currently available, and that THEY felt were suitable for a single guy with no kids.

Would it make you feel better if I changed it to say "the government will show me a slimmed down list of the 3 available options for a 800sq ft 1bd 1ba apartments that they feel are suitable for someone in my situation" rather than "the government picks it for you"?

Like I said, I feel like that's splitting hairs.

The government saying "well, we decided you should be drinking coffee with breakfast, so here's 2 brands of coffee we'll allow you to choose from" isn't really a real choice if I wanted my morning beverage to be orange juice, and if the government owns 70% of the places in the city that serve breakfast (and are aiming to up that even more over the next 5 years), it limits my ability to exercise my real breakfast choice from other sources as well.

I'm not saying there's no "pros" to their system, I'm just saying that many people here aren't fully thinking through the "cons". If someone doesn't prioritize having absolute choice about where they live, and are content having an older place if it means their rent is $600 then great, sounds like they'd be a good candidate for Vienna. But that's not going to be applicable for a lot of younger people here in the US.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,214,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Umm. Wait, how many Euro social programs were discussed in this thread anyway. I only recall your injection of Finnish higher education (that's where I came in properly).
I wasn't referring to just this thread, I was speaking in general. A lot of the programs and policies that get discussed because "Country XYZ did it, and it worked great for them" fail to account for a variety of nuances.

Any young person who thinks "if we just had the same ABC policy as Country XYZ, then everything else would be the same, but I'd get this for free" is usually very mistaken.
As you may have noticed, political platforms and campaigns tend to be rather thin on fine details (or sometimes any details at all) nor are the voters particularly interested in them.
The saying "the devil's in the details" was created for a reason. Perhaps voters should be interested in them.

That's how you end up with the "defund the police" debacles. A candidate gives lip service to a semantically overloaded phrase, and when people finding out the person they thought was their ally was actually basing it on a different definition than what they had in mind, it causes a rift.

See: Jacob Frey and Jenny Durkin getting booed and harassed because they said "well, no, defund the police just means redirecting some funds to other programs, we're not getting rid of police, what are you crazy?" (and the backlash that ensued)
Any actual plan of such sorts is always going to be in the American style: new scope to old programs, more money for old programs, new pilot programs, block grants, tax incentives, industry subsidies, etc. A national housing (especially boosting public housing) isn't going to address the core problems in housing availability in our cites like zoning.

I'm not sure how many of them would have even heard of the "Vienna model". I've seen lots of references to European social programs and policies and never heard of the "Vienna model" for housing until this very thread. (And given the number of distractions in the thread, I'm not quite sure what it really is either.)
So, worse?

I'm not afraid to say it lol. The US has a well-earned track record of trying to implement other ideas from other places, but doing so with a "ready fire aim" mentality that leaves out a lot of necessary guardrails.
Not sure what immigration has to do with this. Most US social welfare programs are only open to US citizens and permanent residents only anyway.
A lot when the same faction that would advocate for something like this, would also claim that it's xenophobic to limit it to only citizens (and citizens who've lived in that particular city for 2+ years)
We are talking about government provided housing. I don't know why anyone would think it would be "fancy".
If you were to ask your average 23 year old Arts major about it, they'd have some very different expectations.

If I told them "Here's the 3 units you can pick from...they were all built in the 1930's, and have awful wallpaper and shag carpet, welcome home!", how do you think that would go?
The walkability of cities is largely tied to how much development and growth occurred before and after the availability of cars.
Exactly, Vienna (as a city) predates the developed United States. Thus my comment about it being two different situations is still applicable.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
if I as a non-married person with no kids wanted one, they would show me only the available ones, that "meet my needs" (not my wants, my needs). If you want a bigger one (that has either extra bedrooms, or more living space), you need to provide a justification for that. And I'm guessing that "well, I want a 3 bedroom because I want to have one spare room to be used as an office, and another spare bedroom for a guest room" isn't going to be an approved reason.
More confusion !

The example offered of a description of the dreadful aspects of Vienna's social housing provision concludes with 'it's an excellent system especially for those who need social housing . . .' I don't know who else would consider applying for it, really, but if they didn't care for what was available it would hardly matter to them.

And there is this:

if I as a non-married person with no kids wanted one, they would show me only the available ones, that "meet my needs" (not my wants, my needs). If you want a bigger one (that has either extra bedrooms, or more living space), you need to provide a justification for that. And I'm guessing that "well, I want a 3 bedroom because I want to have one spare room to be used as an office, and another spare bedroom for a guest room" isn't going to be an approved reason.

I think this demonstrates the weakness of ThatRobGuy's understanding of the intention of social housing anywhere; social provision is never intended as an alternative for working for the good things of life. In every country with social provision the benefits provided are designed as a safety net to protect its citizens from poverty and destitution. No scheme, national or local, in any country I know offers a subsidised housing that exceeds the actual needs of the client - because that would be just plain silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0