United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings,

This is my first post in this forum. A little background: I was born into a interfaith family between a methodist father and Jewish mother. When I was in my mid 20s I was baptised at an episcopal church that was AngloCatholic in liturgy and theology. After some real struggles feeling comfortable in the episcopal church and the tragic death of my father; I left for a period of time and ended up in a domestic partnership (I do believe this is a sin and struggle with how to reconcile this with my beliefs). My partner is not Christian but has no issues with me being part of the faith and is supportive.
I have started returning to church and have found a lot of comfort and beauty in attending RCC mass (I am blessed to have parishes that both do the High Latin Mass and the more typical post Vatican II N.O. mass). I also fall more in love with the beauty of catholic theology and thought everyday. Recognizing that I am living a lifestyle in contradiction to the Church's history teachings (I'm not arguing that its nuanced, I recognize that that this dilemna is a result of my own choices and failings); what would the process look like if I wanted to be confirmed in the church while not living fully in accord with G-d's will? Is this too high a barrier to surmount? I do plan to marry my partner and we cannot have children due to some severe genetic and mental health issues on my end. Loved to hear if anyone has experienced anything similar or in general what does the confirmation process look like for a baptised christian who is not part of the RCC. Thank you and G-d bless you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings,

This is my first post in this forum. A little background: I was born into a interfaith family between a methodist father and Jewish mother. When I was in my mid 20s I was baptised at an episcopal church that was AngloCatholic in liturgy and theology. After some real struggles feeling comfortable in the episcopal church and the tragic death of my father; I left for a period of time and ended up in a domestic partnership (I do believe this is a sin and struggle with how to reconcile this with my beliefs). My partner is not Christian but has no issues with me being part of the faith and is supportive.
I have started returning to church and have found a lot of comfort and beauty in attending RCC mass (I am blessed to have parishes that both do the High Latin Mass and the more typical post Vatican II N.O. mass). I also fall more in love with the beauty of catholic theology and thought everyday. Recognizing that I am living a lifestyle in contradiction to the Church's history teachings (I'm not arguing that its nuanced, I recognize that that this dilemna is a result of my own choices and failings); what would the process look like if I wanted to be confirmed in the church while not living fully in accord with G-d's will? Is this too high a barrier to surmount? I do plan to marry my partner and we cannot have children due to some severe genetic and mental health issues on my end. Loved to hear if anyone has experienced anything similar or in general what does the confirmation process look like for a baptised christian who is not part of the RCC. Thank you and G-d bless you.
Hey, may I ask why you omit the letter "o" in the name of God?

@Dominus vobiscum , I'm here to help answer your question to the best of my ability, as I became Catholic in April 2022.

Regarding your question, it's important to understand that the Catholic Church has specific requirements for confirmation, which is the sacrament that confirms and strengthens the baptized person in their faith. The Rite of Confirmation states that the candidate must be "suitable to receive the sacrament," which generally means they must have been baptized, be of age (usually 16 or older), and have received religious instruction.

However, the Church also recognizes that people may have complex personal situations and may not be living perfectly in accord with Church teachings. In such cases, the Church encourages individuals to engage in a sincere and open dialogue with their parish priest or pastor to discuss their situation and receive guidance. The priest can help provide guidance on how to approach the sacrament of confirmation and what steps the individual may need to take to live more in accord with Church teaching.

It's important to remember that the Church does not view confirmation as a reward for perfection, but rather as a grace that strengthens the individual in their faith journey. The Church recognizes that all of us are sinners and fall short of the glory of God, and that we are called to continue growing in holiness and seeking God's will in our lives.

In your case, you may want to speak with your parish priest or pastor about your situation and express your desire to be confirmed while acknowledging your current challenges. The priest can help provide guidance and support, and may suggest steps you can take to live more in accord with Church teaching, such as receiving the sacrament of reconciliation regularly, engaging in spiritual reading or prayer, or seeking out counseling or support for any personal challenges you may be facing.

Ultimately, the decision to confirm you would be up to the discretion of the priest, taking into account your sincerity and readiness to grow in your faith. I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you all the best in your faith journey. May God bless you and guide you in your decisions.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2024
Philadelphia
✟1,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hey, may I ask why you omit the letter "o" in the name of God?

@Dominus vobiscum , I'm here to help answer your question to the best of my ability, as I became Catholic in April 2022.

Regarding your question, it's important to understand that the Catholic Church has specific requirements for confirmation, which is the sacrament that confirms and strengthens the baptized person in their faith. The Rite of Confirmation states that the candidate must be "suitable to receive the sacrament," which generally means they must have been baptized, be of age (usually 16 or older), and have received religious instruction.

However, the Church also recognizes that people may have complex personal situations and may not be living perfectly in accord with Church teachings. In such cases, the Church encourages individuals to engage in a sincere and open dialogue with their parish priest or pastor to discuss their situation and receive guidance. The priest can help provide guidance on how to approach the sacrament of confirmation and what steps the individual may need to take to live more in accord with Church teaching.

It's important to remember that the Church does not view confirmation as a reward for perfection, but rather as a grace that strengthens the individual in their faith journey. The Church recognizes that all of us are sinners and fall short of the glory of God, and that we are called to continue growing in holiness and seeking God's will in our lives.

In your case, you may want to speak with your parish priest or pastor about your situation and express your desire to be confirmed while acknowledging your current challenges. The priest can help provide guidance and support, and may suggest steps you can take to live more in accord with Church teaching, such as receiving the sacrament of reconciliation regularly, engaging in spiritual reading or prayer, or seeking out counseling or support for any personal challenges you may be facing.

Ultimately, the decision to confirm you would be up to the discretion of the priest, taking into account your sincerity and readiness to grow in your faith. I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you all the best in your faith journey. May God bless you and guide you in your decisions.
Thanks for your kind reply. The - between G and D is an old Jewish habit. I do it without even thinking at this point. This answer made sense to me; I think I am going to try to go continue going to mass every Sunday connect with the priest at my local church. Blessings.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your kind reply. The - between G and D is an old Jewish habit. I do it without even thinking at this point. This answer made sense to me; I think I am going to try to go continue going to mass every Sunday connect with the priest at my local church. Blessings.
You are welcome, brother. It is cool that you used to be Jewish. :) Jesus was Jewish Himself. Talking to a priest is the best thing you can do, to help you understand the Catholic faith better.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,258,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Greetings,

There is a lot of good news in your post. First, God is manifestly talking to you and you are listening. The evidence is that you see yourself now in a moral dilemma.

Next, you are already validly baptized. Which means that you are indwelt by God and probably why the interest in the faith again. I’m presuming you have begun to talk to a priest about how to join the Catholic Church. It usually involves a long process called RCIA, the rite of Christian initiation of adults.

Third, you were baptized as an Episcopalian. As such you have the necessary background to join the Ordinariate, a group of Anglicans who have become Catholic. You don’t have to, but you can. Fully Catholic, but in a reverent Prayer Book sort of way. Do check it out. They aren’t everywhere, but in a lot of cities.

Fourth, you partner can become Catholic too. Ask her to at least keep up with what is going on in your life in that regard. She might surprise you.

As to marriage, that would solve your dilemma raised earlier. But before proposing that, ask a priest about children and your genetic and mental health issues. A Catholic marriage presumes openness to new life. Not being closed to new life. Talk to a priest about what makes sense in your particular situation. It’s way most likely way too involved for me to make a stab at it from here. And you want a professional opinion and not just my guesses.

If there is no impediment to marriage, she’s interested in the faith, then maybe that’s the route for you, marriage and confirmation and maybe a baptism for her, not in that particular order.

I have more to say but I did want to impress upon you some real hopefulness. Your situation looks like it’s on a positive trajectory.)

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Essentially, remain celibate until you are liturgically married (no sex, no sleeping in the same bed, no passionate kissing). Go to your local Catholic Church and get enrolled in OCIA classes (previously RCIA) so you can receive the Sacraments of Eucharist and Confirmation. Make sure you have prove of your Episcopalian baptism, if not, you will have to be conditionally baptized.

Welcome Home!

God bless

Upvote 0