Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
How should Christians relate to homeless people, and how should they help? Should they help?
Is it a matter of prayer only, or what else should be offered?
Should non-Christians be helped?
What are your opinions? And what does the Bible say?
Are you, as saved Christians, under any obligation to help others?

Here is a video about one woman's experience of homelessness..

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How should Christians relate to homeless people, and how should they help? Should they help?

We are obligated to help the poor. In fact that is what we will be judged for in the end. Those who help the poor are rewarded while those who refuse to help the poor are condemned, see Matt 25:31-46. But there are some words of wisdom in the Didache:

Happy is he that gives according to the commandment; for he is guiltless. Woe to him that receives; for if one having need receives, he is guiltless; but he that receives not having need, shall pay the penalty, why he received and for what, and, coming into straits, he shall be examined concerning the things which he has done, and he shall not escape thence until he pay back the last farthing. But also now concerning this, it has been said, Let your alms sweat in your hands, until you know to whom you should give.

This is something I am torn on a near daily basis over. If someone is hungry I will feed them and not ever complain about it. But I see people every day begging for money, claiming to be hungry, but when you give them anything they run straight to their meth dealer. In that case, am I to give according to the commandment, refuse to give so that they are not punished for it, or let my alms sweat in my hands until I know to whom I should give?

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This a sad video. I think she's right about our ignorance of the situation and I've heard Christians on this forum with judgmental attitude thinking most homeless are drug addicts. Living like that who wouldn't want to escape reality with drugs. I love her spirit. I think I need to change my brand.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
This a sad video. I think she's right about our ignorance of the situation and I've heard Christians on this forum with judgmental attitude thinking most homeless are drug addicts. Living like that who wouldn't want to escape reality with drugs. I love her spirit. I think I need to change my brand.

I think Mark is doing a great job in showing the reality of the situation. It's so easy to see somebody taking drugs etc, and then think they don't really need help.
But they need more help.. how are you supposed to get off drugs when you are sleeping in the cold and with your mental health in tatters? We've got it all the wrong way around.. there are hidden reasons for things that we will never understand if we approach people with judgement. It's not for us to judge.

• Agree
Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We are obligated by our faith to help as we are able, which might look different at different times. It could be giving money directly, offering to buy a person a meal or some groceries (if they're outside a restaurant or grocery store for instance), volunteering at a shelter, donating old (but still in good condition) clothing or unused toiletries to a shelter, etc.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are probably hundreds of Christian charities that address matters of homelessness, poverty etc. There are many ways to support these organizations always beginning with prayer then with action like financial support ( alms giving), volunteer work, being a dedicated paid staff member etc.

The Lord gives us instruction in alms giving and prayer in Matthew 6:1-13.

Here are examples of Christian charities doing the Lord’s work:

Other Christian charities:

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟73,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I worked for a social service agency in the EU that was overwhelmed with all kinds of requests for help from individuals. Since it is impossible to care for all, the attitude was one of what is their reason for needing aid? Those with more genuine stories got the priority. I suppose if you only meet one you can concentrate on them but be careful and don't just go on emotions that tug you. You have to find out why they do not recieve some government aids? have they tried? There are lots of shelters and programs that do help. many reject them though because they can be strict. Others time out and just drift from city to city. Again no judgments, but be practical and led of the Spirit.

• Useful
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christianity is based on Love. We Love one another including our enemies. Unhoused individuals as well as the marginalized, poor, disenfranchised and unfortunate are shown Love not through obligation but through desire. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is based on Love. We Love one another including our enemies. Unhoused individuals as well as the marginalized, poor, disenfranchised and unfortunate are shown Love not through obligation but through desire. Blessings.
I think it's both love and an obligation. It's love that obliges us to respond. As was mentioned earlier, in Matt 25 we are told we will be judged on how we treat the vulnerable. But we are also told that how we treat them is how we treat the Lord. So if we love the Lord, we can't sit around on our hands and do nothing.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's both love and an obligation. It's love that obliges us to respond. As was mentioned earlier, in Matt 25 we are told we will be judged on how we treat the vulnerable. But we are also told that how we treat them is how we treat the Lord. So if we love the Lord, we can't sit around on our hands and do nothing.
Sometimes, obligation can feel like a burden or restriction. It can limit your freedom to choose or act as you please. For example, you might feel obligated to work long hours to provide for your family, even if you'd rather spend more time with them.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes, obligation can feel like a burden or restriction. It can limit your freedom to choose or act as you please. For example, you might feel obligated to work long hours to provide for your family, even if you'd rather spend more time with them.
Yes, that isn't the sense in which I meant it though.

Here's an analogy that might clarify how I see it. Let's say a person's elderly mother has dementia and they have no siblings. As her only child, this person has an obligation to care for the mother in some way, whether that's making arrangements for in-home caregiving, or visiting their mother at a nursing home, or something else. If the person has always had a strained and painful relationship with their mother, then that's going to feel like a burden. But if there was mutual love and affection, then the person will be motivated by love and it will not feel burdensome even though it may be difficult at times. Either way there is an ethical obligation, but it's experienced completely differently, and the motivation with which the person acts is different.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟46,816.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel this Charles Spurgeon's excerpt is quite applicable to this topic.

It is remarkable that all of us remember the rich. We talk about all men being equal but I do not believe there is an Englishman who is not silly enough to boast if he has happened to be with a lord in his lifetime. To have seen a live lord is a most marvellous thing and there is scarcely one of us that could resist the temptation of talking about it.
I say, again, “Remember the poor.” There is no necessity to tell you to remember the rich—to be very respectful and to speak very kindly and lovingly to those who are above you—you will take care of yourselves on that point—but it is the poor you are disposed not to attend to and therefore I will press on you this commandment, that you remember the poor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
What's wrong with burden? Why this insistence on freedom.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
i meant what does a Buddhist think about homelessness and what does that person do about it.
A Buddhist forum would be a good place to ask that. I'm here to ask Christians about Christianity, not to enter into a debate about Buddhism.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What's wrong with burden? Why this insistence on freedom.
"For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." Galatians 5:13

Edited to add that in context Paul is speaking about the Mosaic Law.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟430,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Buddhist forum would be a good place to ask that. I'm here to ask Christians about Christianity, not to enter into a debate about Buddhism.
Whatd up. How do Buddhists in this country feel about homelessness?

Upvote 0