Nazareth
✟24,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So often as a teen I would write fantasy stories, some of which was quite dark as I was "into" that. But that was back before I sought God.

Now that God has called me to Him, I only want to do what pleases and glorifies Him. And I love to read, write and I like fantasy.

Lately I've thought of a story about a little girl who is locked up in a dungeon, and two fairies are sent to fulfill her wish to find her father. The fairies are like parental/ angelic figures and they embark on a journey in the quest to find her father. I want to incorporate values of God such as faith, love, patience, respect, companionship, hope, mercy, humbleness and fighting against evil/ sin. Also the fairies magic does not work like in fairytales, where everything is just given, but is revealed with time and in mysterious ways.

But is writing fantasy, even with values of God, giving glory to God. Or is it just satisfying my fleshly desire. Because I only want to do this if it's His Will and for His Glory. Because even as a child, I had a vivid imagination, and there has to be a reason for it.

sarah0688

Jul 20, 2015
Midwest, usa
✟12,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So often as a teen I would write fantasy stories, some of which was quite dark as I was "into" that. But that was back before I sought God.

Now that God has called me to Him, I only want to do what pleases and glorifies Him. And I love to read, write and I like fantasy.

Lately I've thought of a story about a little girl who is locked up in a dungeon, and two fairies are sent to fulfill her wish to find her father. The fairies are like parental/ angelic figures and they embark on a journey in the quest to find her father. I want to incorporate values of God such as faith, love, patience, respect, companionship, hope, mercy, humbleness and fighting against evil/ sin. Also the fairies magic does not work like in fairytales, where everything is just given, but is revealed with time and in mysterious ways.

But is writing fantasy, even with values of God, giving glory to God. Or is it just satisfying my fleshly desire. Because I only want to do this if it's His Will and for His Glory. Because even as a child, I had a vivid imagination, and there has to be a reason for it.
Hi. I like that you like writing stories. I also like to read and write. Did you go to college and study about literature? What are inspirations to write?

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟24,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I like that you like writing stories. I also like to read and write. Did you go to college and study about literature? What are inspirations to write?

No...I went into healthcare but writing was a hobby of mine.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I personally would rather your words are entertaining people than someone in whom Jesus Christ is not flourishing. Even if the themes are fictional, your words have the potential to change hearts - and if they look up the author's biography, there is potential there for a powerful testimony ;)

Thank you for using your voice and the talents you have been entrusted with!

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
.. I think it is not harmful as long as you are not distorting the true message of Christ and leading people to believe damaging lies about God (as some hollywood shows misquote scripture and misrepresent Christianity) - so keep fiction separate from non-fiction and you'll be only doing good by reinforcing positive morals through fictional writing :)

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Ever heard of C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, sister? ;) They were what truly introduced me to Christianity and to the concept of a loving God in the first place, from when I was 5 years old, and I still treasure them all these years later. Lewis, who was a very popular and respected lay Christian writer and apologist in the mid 20th century, wrote the series specifically to introduce young (and not-so-young) readers to basic Christian concepts and ideas in an engaging way, without all the heavy-handed religiosity that he himself had found off-putting as a child.

So if you also love writing and feel called to use that talent in a way that serves God... go for it! :) I'd say keep it in prayer and let Him guide your writing and re-writing and just see how it evolves and where it leads. If your motive is to bless others and lead them to Christ — if you're doing this out of love for God and for your neighbour — then good will surely come of it. All the best to you, friend. :glowingstar:

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

Practically almost anything you do can be done for the glory of God. You don't need to do anything special or be self-sacrificing to bring glory to God.

Upvote 0

sarah0688

Jul 20, 2015
Midwest, usa
✟12,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Practically almost anything you do can be done for the glory of God. You don't need to do anything special or be self-sacrificing to bring glory to God.
A really pretty statement. :heart:

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Fantasy stories are totally okay to write! Besides, when God didn't like something in the Old Testament he'd strike it down, and that's never happened to you, has it? ;)

Having a vivid imagination is great for writing fantasy stories, and I say go for it with all you've got! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟24,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fantasy stories are totally okay to write! Besides, when God didn't like something in the Old Testament he'd strike it down, and that's never happened to you, has it? ;)

Having a vivid imagination is great for writing fantasy stories, and I say go for it with all you've got! :D

Yeah...in the Old Testament.

But after the New Testament it became apparent that eternal punishment would be the consequence.

Now God's punishments on Earth are corrective.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟24,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm pretty sure indulging in your own interests that serve no purpose to God isn't bringing glory to Him though.

But I hope to portray God through this story (without actually bringing Him into the story because it is fiction). I just want to know that He's pleased by it. Because I know fantasy can be associated with witchcraft and other bad stuff but I hope to bring some good into it, if possible.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah...in the Old Testament.

But after the New Testament it became apparent that eternal punishment would be the consequence.

Now God's punishments on Earth are corrective.

I wonder why it suddenly changed though...

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟24,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder why it suddenly changed though...

Because of Jesus. He died for our sins and if we accept Him and give our lives to Him, we will be saved. Before that, repentance was based on animal sacrifices to cleanse yourself. But animal sacrifices weren't lasting salvation.

Plus if you read the OT, humans disobeyed and went against God all the time. And while He would grant them mercy, they would continue to sin so He struck them down with His wraith.

We needed a saving grace, so He sent His Only Son to die for our sins. So now He uses corrective punishment to bring us closer to Jesus so we will be His disciples.

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't change. His punishments are always and only corrective, in this world and after. His will is for ALL to come to repentance and salvation — and His will will be done. But that's a topic for a different discussion (we've had a couple lately). ;)

But I hope to portray God through this story (without actually bringing Him into the story because it is fiction). I just want to know that He's pleased by it. Because I know fantasy can be associated with witchcraft and other bad stuff but I hope to bring some good into it, if possible.

Again, do take a look at the Narnia series for one example (and I'm sure there are others out there) of how fantasy writing can be used to draw people to Christ. He even has a very clear presence in that particular fantasy world — just under a different name... :blacksunrays:

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟24,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God doesn't change. His punishments are always and only corrective, in this world and after. His will is for ALL to come to repentance and salvation — and His will will be done. But that's a topic for a different discussion (we've had a couple lately). ;)

Again, do take a look at the Narnia series for one example (and I'm sure there are others out there) of how fantasy writing can be used to draw people to Christ. He even has a very clear presence in that particular fantasy world — just under a different name... :blacksunrays:

That's the thing though...what was corrective about killing those who continued to sin?

And that's another thing...I don't really want to directly mention God or Jesus because I don't want to create a graven image of Him.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe the killing was not actually what God personally did, but what people at that time believed was God's will? Anyway, again, that's a topic for a theology discussion, not "hobbies, interests and entertainment". :p

If you do feel called to write fantasy stories with an underlying Christian theme, you'll be guided as to what is the right way to introduce those ideas as part of the story. Your motive is right — to give glory to God — so I wouldn't worry too much about the exact details. Why not start writing, keep praying, listen for His ideas and see what comes to you?

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Many of Jesus' spoken words were stories (aka parables). Some of these stories did not explicitly mention God or specific doctrinal statements. Rather, they were often about communicating the values and priorities of the Kingdom of God. For example, the Kingdom of God is like ... a mustard seed, a widow, a lost sheep, two men building houses, etc.

If you clearly understand what message(s) you want to communicate and put it into your own words and images, it will help some people understand that message in a way that they might not have before. I think key to this is knowing God better yourself. The better you know Him and His ways, the better your words, stories, and images will reflect Him. Part of this is time, over the years, you'll come to know Him better. Ultimately, your writing will reflect your understanding of God. The more you know Him, the more accurately your stories and imagery will reflect Him.

God has made you a unique treasure meant to reflect His glory in a way no one else can. As you become more and more that person He means you to be, that person can reflect her passions and knowledge of God in a way can touch other hearts in a way that many people cannot. Perhaps part of what makes you unique might be being a storyteller of some type via writing or other arts or means.

What type of timetable might God put you on for writing or other things? Good question. Sometimes it's best to wait on some things for more maturity and wisdom and skill; other times it's best to start practicing the skills and working on improving right away. The only advice I'd give is to learn how to teach yourself new skills. Master grammar. Read and practice various styles of writing. Broaden your capabilities so that you can express yourself clearly and creatively and with emotional impact. Maybe start learning other types of arts that have appealed to you.

A simple pen of ink so black,
can make books enough to fill a stack.
The words it makes can warm a heart,
but for my young friend, that's just a start.
Add in some pens of blue and red,
green, gold, or more to choose instead.
Rain, clouds, sun, moon, and earth appear,
in words and images of cheer or a tear.

Sorta corny and 5 words of more than one syllable (where I was aiming for all one syllable words). But, hopefully it gets the idea across. There's the standard way most Christians feel comfortable presenting their faith in black and white standard terms with some grayscale variety thrown in. Then there is using the arts in a creative manner to paint a vivid picture of their faith in the full living color of the human experience.

• Winner
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟955,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe writing proficiency (as do all talents) hails from God. But I think it’s important to surrender our gifts to Him and seek His direction on the how, when and where of their use. Especially if we’ve used it in a different capacity in the past.

In my experience, the application isn’t always what we suppose. I assumed my writing and speaking gifts would focus on religion. But He directed me towards motivational speaking and life coaching (obvious choices in hindsight).

If I moved ahead without insight my efforts would be devoid of anointing and purpose. Waiting for His input allowed me to develop my skills and receive confirmation from others.

Their feedback reenforced the truth and encouraged me to persevere. I wasn’t idle while waiting. I took classes, developed an apprenticeship (for improvement), joined writing groups, increased my reading output and educated myself on the publishing industry.

Readiness is important. You’ll thank yourself for the ground you covered while waiting if you’re well prepared.

~Bella

Upvote 0