✟7,888.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's general experience is of changing churches? If you've chosen to change churches (rather than having to change because of moving away, for example), what prompted that decision? Did you have a strong sense that God wanted you elsewhere, or did it feel like your own decision? And did it work out well? Did you feel like there was any stigma attached to switching churches?

I've been thinking about a potential church change for the past few months, so I'm curious to see how my experience so far matches up with other people's.

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome.

In the States, changing churches seems common. There seems to be no stigma attached to making a change.

Officially, I'm still a member of a mainline Presbyterian church, but I've been attending an Evangelical Presbyterian church for about a year. It's worth the drive.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,259,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's general experience is of changing churches? If you've chosen to change churches (rather than having to change because of moving away, for example), what prompted that decision? Did you have a strong sense that God wanted you elsewhere, or did it feel like your own decision? And did it work out well? Did you feel like there was any stigma attached to switching churches?

I've been thinking about a potential church change for the past few months, so I'm curious to see how my experience so far matches up with other people's.
If you are changing in obedience to God, then it's a good thing. If you are changing for more truth, that is also a good thing, as long as you have researched with great care first. If you are changing to be free of some moral teaching that hampers your style, you better check on God's opinion of that particular moral teaching first. If you just don't like the music, maybe OK or not.

I have only changed when I have moved. And I have an upcoming move in a year. I have looked around in the new area and have several options. I think my main criteria are coming down to three things. First and foremost would be the prayer life of the new place. Do they really get down to prayer in the liturgy and outside of it? Or are they going trough the motions? A more distant second would be whether their music is any good. I have become a music snob. I want hymns, a pipe organ and an organist and choir who knows how to do Byrd, Palestrina, and Tallis, Bach, Elgar, Faure, Gounod, and the like. Given the choice between a prayerful place and a place with good music, prayer wins, but I think they go together. An even more distant third criteria would be the architecture of the building. I find many church buildings from the last 50 years to be rather sterile compared to older ones or the best new ones like those designed by Duncan Stroik and the like. But there again, sterility in architecture in my opinion leads to sterility in worship. So beauty in building and music MIGHT lead to beauty in worship.

Last edited:
Reactions: theFijian
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Changing for me was a matter of conscience. The beliefs and practices--many of which were recent innovations for the old church--conflicted with what I believed to be correct. So I felt I had to switch.

It is slightly stressful, but its also invigorating and liberating.

I would always recommend being absolutely sure before making the move, but few of the people in the new church are going to sneer at someone who comes to them because the newcomer has concluded that this new church is right! IOW, dont worry too much about the transition.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Anglican church in my own parish is much further away than the one I attend, there is another one in the same team that is about the same distance, But as they are all linked under the same rector and team of priests, the services are much the same in each.

However I much prefer the one that I have attended for almost 20 years.
The Team covers seven Anglican churches is Saddleworth and parishioners can attend any they wish to. Indeed on Thursday all the team held a joint Ascension day service in one of the other churches, It was a year since I had previously attended a service there.

After all, where and how you worship, is between you and God, no one else.

It is interesting that only 24% of our congregation live in the Parish. like me the majority actually live in other parishes. Says something but I don't know what?

Upvote 0

ArnieJ

May 12, 2018
Cambridge
✟7,888.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone for your responses : )

The main reasons I want to change churches are personal rather than any issue with my church per se:
- feeling there's no way for me to contribute. This has bothered me more and more over the last couple of years. I'm actually now already a volunteer in a community project run by another church and I can also see other ways I could serve well in that church
- honestly, I prefer the slightly louder, more demonstrative style of this other church, their teaching style etc
- I have a couple of really good friends at my church, but otherwise lack a sense of community or being looked out for. As far as I can tell, I don't think this is due to my own behaviour/attitude
- I've been aware for over a year that I'm not flourishing at my current church. I'd like to be back in a place where I love my church and feel like I'm growing

What do you think? Good reasons to switch? I have another church I'm happy to go to, so it's not like I'd end up nowhere

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please indulge me while I tell you my story. If you want to skip my history and go to my advice/lessons-learned, skip to the next paragraph... I grew up in a Brethren church in Pennsylvania. After graduating college and getting married we moved out of state and ended up joining a fairly large (~1000 people) Southern Baptist church. We spent about 19 years there and had many wonderful friends, but then because of my job we moved out of state and joined another church. After a few years there we discovered that the pastor was a pedophile, so we left for another church. It was good, and we developed some good friendships there. For reasons I'm not quite sure of, though, we left and joined another church. We developed some friends there too, but the church governance seemed to be at odds with biblical guidelines, so we left. We then went a few months w/o a church and ended up going to a church that really didn't feel right, but it was better than nothing. We were just "pew sitters", though, and didn't really get involved; nor did we make any friends. We left in search of a church where we could be involved again, and joined a church of another denomination. After a while there, the doctrinal differences between the Bible and what they had implemented were too great so we left. We're now again at a fairly large non-denominational church where I hope we can stay.

Personally, I think we skipped around too much. I was very picky and wanted a church that was 100% on point with every biblical doctrine. I still think that doctrine is supreme, but there are a few areas where I'm now willing to compromise on the "small stuff". We also lost a lot of friends because we switched so much. It takes years to build friendships for us, so every time we switched, there was an investment lost. (We just lost touch with our old friends after a while.) I also wanted a place where I could use my spiritual gifts, and some churches didn't have room for that. Now I'm content to use them as God opens doors.

My advice is to be careful about switching too much. Your primary decision should be, is this where God wants me? If you can't tell, though, then ask yourself how your current church is doing, doctrine-wise. You'll also want to assess if you can comfortably serve and be served. And don't forget about the friendships. How would you feel about losing the friendships you've developed at that church? I think switching churches is a big decision and should be met with much prayer and patience.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟976,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm a 50-year Methodist now in exile to the Episcopal Church. I looked for something new when my once large UMC began to fiddle with worship style. Worship there became like a theatrical production more glorifying to the performers than God, in my opinion. Only an applause meter was missing. I sat in worship week after week feeling empty until I finally realized what was wrong with me was I felt like I wasn't worshipping. It was very hard to leave 20-year church friends, but I discovered the beauty in the reverential worship liturgy of The Episcopal Church. From the first day I felt like I was worshipping again. I'll add it took me 6 years to move from regular visitor to confirmed member, largely due to guilt for what I left behind.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone for your responses : )
..................................................................................................

What do you think? Good reasons to switch? I have another church I'm happy to go to, so it's not like I'd end up nowhere
There is no compelling reason for you NOT to switch. Just do not move to a church that resolves some of the personal issues that you have outlined for us--as important as they are--but which is indifferent or downright wrong when it comes to sound doctrine and practice.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone,

I too have been thinking if i am getting enough feeding from my church. I need lots more. But i am so involved in our church life. It would be so disruptive to leave.i yearn for a bigger congregation, better sermons and more opportunities to do Bible study.

Reactions: TzipiDee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm a 50-year Methodist now in exile to the Episcopal Church. I looked for something new when my once large UMC began to fiddle with worship style. Worship there became like a theatrical production more glorifying to the performers than God, in my opinion. Only an applause meter was missing. I sat in worship week after week feeling empty until I finally realized what was wrong with me was I felt like I wasn't worshipping. It was very hard to leave 20-year church friends, but I discovered the beauty in the reverential worship liturgy of The Episcopal Church. From the first day I felt like I was worshipping again. I'll add it took me 6 years to move from regular visitor to confirmed member, largely due to guilt for what I left behind.

You know i feel like you. Too much showing off goes on. I need better worship.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone,

Me too. I am not growing. Need more.

Upvote 0