• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Causes of Anxiety

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Last Update: February 4th, 2014AD

I intend to constantly update this post over time as a summary of more obscure things I've found regarding the sources and causes of anxiety - things beyond the usual "talk therapy" & pharmaceuticals. Hopefully this will help some people as a jumping point to study specific issues more deeply. (This post is not meant to be medical advice, but for educational use only; please see your personal medical practitioner for applicability to your individual situation).

Thoughts - negative thoughts; dwelling on negative thoughts grows their power over time. When noticing a negative thought, try distracting the mind with another task (e.g. doing mathmatical problems in your mind, playing Tetris, etc.). The more you "feed" a thought, the stronger it grows. The opposite is also true: the less you "feed" a thought, the weaker it grows. Also, regular mindfulness meditation strengthens the ability of the rational brain to control the fearful brain. Also, thoughts can be modified and erased. Whenever one recalls a thought, there exists a window of opportunity to change that thought. Practically speaking, if one actively works to maintain a neutral and relaxed emotional state during the recollection of a problematic thought, that thought can be discharged of its emotional significance. If this is done repeatedly, over time, the thought and its negative emotional association can be "erased"! Something else to keep in mind: the brain, on a certain level, does not distinguish between reality and virtual reality - both are stored as valid memories and experiences in the brain. You might want to remember this when considering engaging in virtual reality experiences which might impact you negatively - whether television, movies, games, etc.

Overactivity in one part of the brain - Often, anxious individuals have a stronger fearful brain (e.g. amygdala, right temporal lobe) than the rational, calming brain (e.g. left temporal lobe). Stimulation of the left temporal lobe have been shown to give individuals a greater sense of balance and control over anxiety and anxious thoughts. Possible ways to stimulate the left temporal lobe include 1. engaging in more "logical" activities, e.g. mathematical problems, chess, etc. 2. decreasing stimulation to the right temporal lobe, e.g. eye patch over the left eye, 3. mindfulness meditation. Secondly, modern media and "entertainment" stimulates the fearful brain using various techniques, in order to prey on your "animalistic instincts" for their gain (e.g. selling a product, watching their show, etc.). This constant stimulation of the fearful brain (the seat of the instincts) wears away and diminishes the ability of the rational, calming brain. Notice how older shows show a more calm and steady pace, while "modern" shows cut scenes every 3 seconds to a new, unfolding drama? What is it doing to your brain?

Gluten intolerance/sensitivity/Celiac - Many individuals are intolerant to gluten (the "chewy" substance found in wheats, rye, barley, etc.). Eating wheats scars the villi in the intestines of these individuals, causing massive inflammation in the gut and all throughout the body and brain. Over months or years, this can cause immense damage to the gut, and, as a result, the gut can no longer digest nutrients from foods properly. This can result in nutritional deficiencies, which, compounded over time, can lead to many illnesses including anxiety, depression, panic attacks, ocd, heart failure, organ failure, arthritis, hypo- or hyper-thyroid, adrenal exhaustion, hypoglycemia, weight issues, etc.
(Wheat today is not the same wheat our ancestors ate hundreds or thousands of years ago - through "genetic engineering", so-called "scientists" have changed the gluten in wheats in the past 50-70 years in order to increase profits!). Avoiding gluten may take months or years to completely heal from a lifetime of abuse to the gut.

Pyroluria - a blood disorder (possibly caused by a shock or lyme disease) where massive amounts of zinc, b6, biotin, manganese, and molybednum are released from the body. Deficiency in zinc causes an overload of copper in the body, and too much copper causes a zinc deficiency (Most(?) houses in the US is serviced by copper pipes for water). Some symptoms of insufficient zinc includes the inability to handle even minor stress, anxiety attacks, etc. Deficiencies in B6, Biotin, Manganese, Molybednum are also linked to high stress states. A urine test can be obtained over the Internet for a moderate price to verify the presence of kryptopyrolles.

Low Zinc - can result from high copper intake (Most(?) houses in the US is serviced by copper pipes for water). Deficiency in zinc causes an overload of copper in the body, and too much copper causes a zinc deficiency. Some symptoms of insufficient zinc includes the inability to handle even minor stress, anxiety attacks, etc. Insufficient zinc also prevents formation of sufficient stomach acids during digestion, which itself can cause nausea (a symptom commonly associated with anxiety).

Hypoglycemia - can mimic anxiety attacks. The brain's primary "fuel source" is blood sugar. When blood sugar gets too low, it senses a danger situation and causes the body to release adrenaline/epinephrine (& nor-adrenaline/nor-epinephrine), which itself releases reserves of blood sugar to feed the brain. A side effect of the adrenaline & nor-adrenaline release are anxiety effects, including nausea (digestive functions are stopped when blood is diverted to one's muscles to engage in "fight" or "flight"). Usually linked to thyroid and/or adrenal issues.

High or Low Histamine - can cause anxieties. Histamine is commonly associated with allergies, but it is also a neurotransmitter involved with many brain functions. Histamine is also associated with the release of adrenaline/epinephrine (& nor-adrenaline/nor-epinephrine).

Progesterone/Estrogen imbalance - A lack of the hormone progesterone, and an excess of estrogen in one's body can cause anxiety attacks. There are alot of phyto-estrogens in today's meal choices, leading many to experience excesses of estrogen (& estrogen-like substances), and depletion of progesterone. Progesterone is critical for the formation of MAO molecules in the body, and MAO itself destroys adrenaline & nor-adrenaline in the body, leading to a less stressed state. Yes, men can also experience low progesterone. Progesterone creams are sold over-the-counter.

Lack of Testosterone - Can also cause timidity and a lack of confidence, leading to anxiety.

Adrenal & Thyroid issues - A hyperthyroid can produce a thyroid storm of hormones that mimic many symptoms of anxiety. Things to look out for are warmer-than-normal hands & feet, a high metabolism, frequent hunger, or if you can't gain weight no matter how much you eat. An out-of-control thyroid can also stress your adrenal glands, which themselves release additional hormones in an effort to counteract feelings of stress in the body. Thyroid issues usually go hand-in-hand with adrenal insufficiency.

Magnesium/Calcium imbalance
- Magnesium is used by the body to calm the nerves, while calcium is used to excite the nerves. Many people today have an imbalance in these two minerals, often leaning towards much more calcium than needed.

Insufficient Water intake - Water intake is important for the body. The average body is made of 80% water, and is important for the regulation of processes, including waste removal. Insufficient water can cause the body to retain many wastes, including acids produced by the muscles, which may lead to higher feelings of stress.

Slouching: Causes muscle strain & tension, prevents one from breathing in a full breath of oxygen, causing acid buildup in the muscles and a cycle of more tension.

Not Enough Exercise - Exercise is important to optimize hundreds of functions in the body, as well as improving the body's ability to remove wastes and chemicals from the body. It helps the muscles and organs function better at removing the stress hormones once the body produces them. A healthy body will rapidly process those stress hormones and return an anxious individual back to a calm state much faster than an unhealthy body.

Too Much Exercise - Overexercise may produce an abnormal breakdown of muscle and/or organ tissue, which may lead to increased feelings of stress! Adrenal glands may be overly stressed by overexercise, leading to production of more adrenaline & nor-adrenaline. It particularly affects individuals with type A blood, as these individuals do best with calming (not vigorous) exercise, e.g. walking, jogging, etc.

Taking anxiety remedies
- You might ask, "how can taking anxiety remedies cause more anxiety?" The theory is this: If you ingest substances to suppress your anxiety, your body & mind's natural reaction is to push back against that external suppression. So, when you're off of your remedy, you might actually feel more anxious in the long run! A couple of studies may hint that taking anxiety increasing substances (e.g. yohimbe herbal drops, etc.) may have the opposite effect - sensing an external attempt at raising anxiety, your body & mind begins to work to suppress it. So, in the long run, taking substances which may increase your short-term anxiety may actually reduce your long-term anxiety!

Bad environment - People exposed to natural scenes (forests, etc.) hold much less stress. Try to surround you most frequented areas with nature as much as possible (e.g. windows looking out to a garden, computer desktop wallpapers with forest scenes, pictures, plants, sounds of nature playing, etc.), and try to be in nature as much as possible!

Last edited:

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
what about HoboPhobia The extreme and utter fear of hobos, or the homeless. need some one to explain how to over come this things because they can be abusive if approach improperly I feel its real even to some people
It is my personal belief that all the different forms of anxieties involve essentially the same underlying physical malfunctions in the body and/or brain. So, if a friend were to ask me about a specific type of anxiety, I would recommend that she investigate the same sources (as I've listed above) as with any other type of anxiety.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for posting this. Its very helpful to know all of these things. I have been found to have a thyroid condition as well as low progesterone. It has really played horrid tricks on my mind. I am trying to learn to be an overcomer.
:thumbsup: May YHWH guide you on the path to healing.

Upvote 0

Dales

Mar 13, 2013
✟15,120.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Netzarim,
Very informative post on the causes of anxiety and like to add physical, sexual and emotional abuse, drugs used to treat high blood pressure, personal disputes/ conflicts with family members or friends and death or loss of loved ones are also major causes of anxiety.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Hi Netzarim,
Very informative post on the causes of anxiety and like to add physical, sexual and emotional abuse, drugs used to treat high blood pressure, personal disputes/ conflicts with family members or friends and death or loss of loved ones are also major causes of anxiety.
Thank you Dales.

My personal opinion is that, yes, many of these things you've listed may need to be addressed by an individual. Yet at the same time, they cause one's body to excessively "use up" important nutrients (e.g. zinc, B6, etc) which causes one to experience the bodily feelings such as anxiety (racing pulse, racing mind, cold hands & feet, etc.):

experiences -> thoughts -> body prepares for danger/fight or flight -> excessive nutrient usage -> over time, depletion of nutrients -> anxiety (or depression, OCD, etc.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is my personal belief that all the different forms of anxieties involve essentially the same underlying physical malfunctions in the body and/or brain. So, if a friend were to ask me about a specific type of anxiety, I would recommend that she investigate the same sources (as I've listed above) as with any other type of anxiety.

I was wondering if you were posting about anxiety because you also have problems with it? I've had anxiety problems since I was 15. Mine is rooted in upbringing and several conditions. I still have it today but have found ways to calm, work around it, and sometimes through it.

Faithfully,
CH Sacerdote
:groupray:

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I was wondering if you were posting about anxiety because you also have problems with it? I've had anxiety problems since I was 15. Mine is rooted in upbringing and several conditions. I still have it today but have found ways to calm, work around it, and sometimes through it.

Faithfully,
CH Sacerdote
Shalom! I am posting about it because I have many people close to me with different kinds of anxieties. I'm working towards a Naturopathic Doctorate, so whatever I learn for them, I'll share with everyone here! :)

May YHWH guide you in His ways of peace.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom! I am posting about it because I have many people close to me with different kinds of anxieties. I'm working towards a Naturopathic Doctorate, so whatever I learn for them, I'll share with everyone here! :)

May YHWH guide you in His ways of peace.

Thank you and I ask the same for you and yours. Wow, that sounds like an exciting degree. My pcp is at heart, naturopathic oriented. There is so much good to be had in your field of study that it is absolutely amazing. Today is an accupuncture day for me. I've found it to be subtle yet extremely helpful and supportive.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yes. That would be great.
I recommend the Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Ed Bourne & "Brain Lock" by Jeffrey Schwartz for starters. The first is an excellent comprehensive overview & workbook focusing on many of the "mainstream" conventional and alternative therapies for anxieties. The second is an in-depth explanation of my summary in the OP regarding "thoughts". Hope this helps you get started!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Thank you and I ask the same for you and yours. Wow, that sounds like an exciting degree. My pcp is at heart, naturopathic oriented. There is so much good to be had in your field of study that it is absolutely amazing. Today is an accupuncture day for me. I've found it to be subtle yet extremely helpful and supportive.
Thank you :thumbsup: Natural therapies resonate with my spirit as compatible with what YHWH provided us for healing. I hope your acupuncture helped!

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Wow, this is extremely helpful and I definitely checked off a few boxes of symptoms that I am quite adamant about changing.

One other factor that I can add:

-too much media consumption. ... As another example, I don't know how this happened, but a 'beheading' video had been circulating on the internet, and out of curiosity, I clicked on that link. I could not get those images out of my mind for weeks. It was such an utter violation that I could not quite process it. ... I became part of a 'safe' environment and dropped my guard. However, I then moved back to an emotionally unsafe environment and just felt continually assaulted with negative energy.

Sorry for the long post, but I really appreciate your post and wanted to add my two cents as well.

Peace and love,

MC
Thanks for adding to the conversation, MC :thumbsup:

Yes, media consumption is generally harmful, in my opinion. Most of the shows out there don't really add anything positive to our lives; they generally add more anxiety, lust for people, lust for
"things" (leading to anxiety and depression when the things we own don't meet those standards), violent images, violent thoughts, and waste the valuable time our Father gave us, etc. There's a reason it's called "programming", and a reason most people are addicted to it out there. ;)

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Isn't FEAR the bottom line to most of it
Yes it is ... my thread is dedicated to getting to the root source of those fears (or, in most situations, what are the causes of those feelings of fear).

I don't believe fear is a root cause in and of itself. I believe that, when most people say they are anxious or fearing, they are actually experiencing a mixed storm of physical feelings (e.g. gastrointestinal problems, headache, heart palpitations, sweating, etc.) and their malfunctioning brains can misinterpret it as "FEAR! ANXIOUS!"

Most of those physical feelings, when reinterpreted in a different context, can be seen as "excitement!" instead of "fear!", for example.

Upvote 0