USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
http://stjoan.com/pastorfr.htm

They have "guest speakers" at their Sunday Masses who are supposedly making the Word of God "relevant." Apparently they haven't spent a whole lot of time reading the actual Word of God or they would know they don't need to make it relevant, it already is:

[bible]Hebrews 4:12[/bible]

Of course, their new pastor used to work with Dignity:sick: , so we know their interpretation of

[bible]Romans 1:26-27[/bible]

is "God encourages homosexual behavior." The thing I don't get is that this is a pretty solid diocese with a ton of adoration chapels, so why isn't the bishop doing something about this?

The again, their ministries don't include adoration, but rather "eco-spirituality." It almost makes you wonder if this is a joke...

St. Joan of Arc pray for us.
St. Joseph, Patron of the universal Church, pray for us.
St. Jerome pray for us.
St. Ireneaus pray for us.
St. Augustine pray for us.

Mary most holy, pray for us.

Kyrie eleison.:prayer:

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Carrye said:
What's Dignity?

They are a gay Catholic organization. They were originally allowed to meet in Catholic parishes. It wasn't for the promotion of homosexuality, so much as it was to deal with it in the world.

Their leadership eventually made a statement in contradiction with the Church, stating that Catholics should not feel bad about being in same-sex relationships or something to that effect. They currently teach that homosexuality is not a mortal sin if one is inclined to do it and does not feel it is a sin. Their argument being that a mortal sin is one you are fully aware of, but because they do not believe it is one, it is therefore not a mortal sin. Actively gay Catholics can therefore, do everything heterosexuals do, including going to confession, while omitting their homosexual acts and be completely legitimate.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
stray bullet said:
They are a gay Catholic organization. They were originally allowed to meet in Catholic parishes. It wasn't for the promotion of homosexuality, so much as it was to deal with it in the world.

Their leadership eventually made a statement in contradiction with the Church, stating that Catholics should not feel bad about being in same-sex relationships or something to that effect. They currently teach that homosexuality is not a mortal sin if one is inclined to do it and does not feel it is a sin. Their argument being that a mortal sin is one you are fully aware of, but because they do not believe it is one, it is therefore not a mortal sin. Gay Catholics can therefore do everything heterosexuals do, including going to confession, while omitting their homosexual acts.

Thanks. I had never heard of them.

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
frjim.jpg
Lets all pray for this priest.

Good News! We Have a Pastor! Our new pastor is Fr. Jim DeBruycker. Fr. Jim grew up in St. Paul. He graduated from St. John’s in Collegeville in 1971, he then went to work for the phone company, and in 1978 entered the Seminary. He has served at Immaculate Conception in Columbia Heights, at Incarnation in Minneapolis, and at St. Olaf. He served as a regular presider for Dignity, at the Newman Center. He is presently serving as a Chaplain at Hennepin County Medical Center, and as Pastor at St. Leonard’s (just 5 blocks north of St. Joan’s). When George announced his retirement, about 7 months ago we asked him to interview at St. Joan’s. He had just gotten an extension for three years at St. Leonard’s and was in the middle of a construction project so he turned us down. But late in June the Archbishop called and asked him most persuasively to reconsider; now here he is!
Fr. Jim will start the first week in December. The website hopes to have an interview with him soon. Welcome Fr. Jim!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lonnienord said:
cool are you looking forward to your new pastor?

Yup.

It'll be confusing for a bit, though, since we already have one Fr. Jim. And it's always hard to accept a replacement for someone who has spent a lot of time at a parish like Fr. George had.

I hope he gets a better "official" picture, though!

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Dan,

Has Archbishop Flynn for the most part simply looked the other way? I can't see him doing that, but he must be...It is interesting though that the Archdiocesan site doesn't link to St. Joan's website, though they have one and the Archdiocese links to other parish sites.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RE: Original first OP

I love Archbishop Flynn and I would be surprised if this particular parish that you are referring to is in complete communion with Rome, otherwise, Flynn would say something. Flynn is the one who denied the Eucharist to the "Rainbow" group.

I will keep this parish in my prayers and also your new Pastor Lonnie and also your Pastor Cadan.

God be with them and help them always.

God's Peace,

Debbie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CaDan said:
Archbishop Flynn celebrated Mass at St. Joan's three years ago on a pastoral visit. He is a very involved bishop.

Yes, Flynn is a very involved bishop. I noticed that Lonnie isn't getting a new pastor, but your parish is, sometime in December.

So do you know what the OP is referring to regarding what appears to be some kind of procedures that seem to not be following the Liturgy as it should. I'm not asking to be critical... I'm just curious.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Filia Mariae said:
Has Archbishop Flynn for the most part simply looked the other way? I can't see him doing that, but he must be...It is interesting though that the Archdiocesan site doesn't link to St. Joan's website, though they have one and the Archdiocese links to other parish sites.

:scratch: Doesn't the bishop assign priests to parishes?

Diane

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Diane_Windsor said:
:scratch: Doesn't the bishop assign priests to parishes?

Diane
yup!! and there is really nothing against this Priest. Obviously or the bishop wouldn't have begged him to become pastor of this church. The fact that he was involved with dignity doesn't mean he condoned homosexual activity. and we have no evidence of liturigical abuse.

We need to pray for everyone involved in this misunderstanding

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
lonnienord said:
yup!! and there is really nothing against this Priest. Obviously or the bishop wouldn't have begged him to become pastor of this church. The fact that he was involved with dignity doesn't mean he condoned homosexual activity. and we have no evidence of liturigical abuse.

We need to pray for everyone involved in this misunderstanding

Lonnie-

Dignity DOES condone homosexual activity. And we have explicity evidence of liturgical abuse. Allowing anyone to give a "homily" besides the priest of deacon is forbidden and they are advertising it on their website.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
CaDan said:
Archbishop Flynn celebrated Mass at St. Joan's three years ago on a pastoral visit. He is a very involved bishop.

It's sad that while he has done so much good in this diocese, as Perpetual Adoration chapels are springing up everywhere (I believe there are now 50 in this diocese), he has allowed this to continue. At least he doesn't allow the archdiocesan site to link to their site.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.