Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CAN a woman be a pastor--yes, my wife IS a great pastor, called and commissioned by God Almighty!
follow your calling and don't let ANYONE get in the way. Listen to God, not to the clanging symbols that would tell you to abandon your calling! God will provide a way!
and if anyone in this thread is feeling called by God and want a sympathetic ear--feel free to pm me any time!
herev, married to a sherev, together answering God's call to pastor those whom He puts in out path.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
CAN a woman be a pastor--yes, my wife IS a great pastor, called and commissioned by God Almighty!
follow your calling and don't let ANYONE get in the way. Listen to God, not to the clanging symbols that would tell you to abandon your calling! God will provide a way!
and if anyone in this thread is feeling called by God and want a sympathetic ear--feel free to pm me any time!
herev, married to a sherev, together answering God's call to pastor those whom He puts in out path.
I agree:)

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed that everyone here who is arguing that woman can be pastors does so with an appeal to emotion, but does nothing to actually consult the Word of God. When we do consult God's Word, we find that men and woman play different roles in the church. I'll copy and paste what one pastor had to say on this, since he writes it better than I'm going to.

A Lutheran pastor's opinion:

With the majority of Christendom, Lutherans never admitted women “pastors” until modernist and postmodernist thinking began to invade some parts of the church in the past generation. Orthodox, biblical Christianity still is firmly convinced for a number of reasons that women, although they might otherwise be eminently qualified, lack one thing: They are not men.

You included a number of Scriptures from your step-son in your question; I’ll touch on them and some others as we study the issue. In 1 Corinthians 14:33-38, Paul tells not only the Corinthian church, but also others, what should be done. Before insisting that women “keep silence,” that is, not teach or preach, Paul says this is true “in all the churches of the saints. (v. 33)” That this is not his invention is clear from verse 36: “Was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached?”

Many who urge the ordination of women do so based upon Galatians 3:28, which would pit Paul against Paul. He writes, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” But this verse doesn’t teach that all differences are erased. Racial, sexual, and physical distinctions remain, yet all Christians have equality in salvation: All are equally sinful and equally saved by the work of God through Jesus Christ.

In Christ, God does not overturn all the previous distinctions, including those of Creation. The miracle of the Resurrection does not overthrow the mystery of the relationship or the marvel of the distinction between man and woman. Dr. Al Barry, former president of The Lutheran Church — Missouri Synod, said, “We believe that God has gifted men and women with different responsibilities and duties.... So also in the church, God has gifted men and women with different, though complementary, opportunities and responsibilities for service. (from What about … The Ordination of Women to the Pastoral Office

As well as the direct words of Scripture, the examples from the Bible point to a male pastorate: Christ’s first pastors, the apostles, were all men. If He had decided that women also should fill that position, why did He not say or do something at the time? Would that have been any more “radical” than anything else He did? The early Church followed Christ’s established pattern and placed only men as pastors.

Relating also to the maleness of the pastor is the idea of pastor as “icon” (image) of Christ. The male-female imagery of Christ and Church as Bridegroom and Bride (cf. Eph 5:22-33) is shown also the example of pastor and congregation.

None of this deals with what has become a battle over superiority and equality. Anyone who thinks that pastors are somehow “superior” to the laity doesn’t realize that these “under-shepherds” are servants of God’s Word. They are called to be the “foot-washers.” They are the ones who are on duty, day in and day out, to give, not to rule.

While Scripture calls a faithful flock to support, honor, and obey a faithful pastor (1 Tim 5:17-18; 1 Thess 5:12-13; Heb 13:17), even this obedience is not slavish. Hebrews says it is because “they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account.” They surrender themselves to Christ and to His Church in order to feed His sheep and shepherd them safely home to heaven. The Church surrenders herself to them as they lead according to Christ’s Word.

Note that I don’t even begin to go through the examples from the Old Testament. Nor do I quote the early Christian Church, which generally associated a female pastorate with sects and heresies. A full study of all these plus the New Testament would be the matter for a large book, not a short column.

Still, there is also the matter of your stepson’s keeping the Commandment, “Honor your father and your mother.” His attitude and behavior do not necessarily do the best job of this. While he may not want to participate in a service he believes to be contrary to Scripture, the staring “out toward the window” shows open disrespect to the parents God gave him.

Because I agree with him that he holds the correct, Biblical understanding, I could not urge him to change his mind about women “pastors.” I do hope that when attending with you, he would act respectfully. He could honor his parents by sitting facing forward, not lounging or looking away, thus not making you and his mother so uncomfortable with him. Yet he could, perhaps, be true to his own beliefs by not actively participating. However, he must honor God above man. If he believes he cannot do so at your Methodist church, should you compel him to sin against his conscience?

Finally, I pray that you try to see that the things of the Church are beyond cultural relevance — indeed, often counter-cultural. Many times our ideas of niceness, fairness, and equality run contrary to God’s Word and His order of creation. When this happens, we need divine help to move beyond our own desires and follow God’s will.

This was originally found on this site.

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
^
There were also two well-known women preachers in Paul's time. In Romans 16:7 Paul sends greetings to a woman named Junia and calls her a fellow apostle. In Acts 18:26 Priscilla instructed Apollos on the word of God, along with Aquilla. In Rom 16.1-2 Phoebe is referred to using the masculine form of deacon. Women had a teaching role, and Paul never attacked them, but praised them. In acts 2:17-18 it says

Acts 2:17-18 said:
17 'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy

God has given the gift to prophesy and teach by God. Denying this right is going against God's will. It also turns many against God. It is very hard for you to be told you can’t follow what your dreams and God call you to do, then be told that you can’t because you were born the wrong gender.
Another interesting thing is that most the missionaries in the world, especially in the early century have been women. It has always been ok for women to go into "unknown" lands and preach, and it was often encouraged as the 'White Man's Burden' The problem always came when they wanted to preach at home.

also - http://www.christian-thinktank.com/fem08.html

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
it is a long argument and would require that both sides of the discussion accept the practice of informed biblical critical analysis and are open to accepting that the Bible is rarely CLEAR on such matters. I find it useless and fruitless to enter into such a debate. Suffice it to say, I'm well versed in scripture, plus have lengthy practice and education in established, accepted Biblical criticism (and no, I do not mean criticising the Bible, I mean practicing sound critical analysis of the Bible, including, but not limited to: exegesis, source criticism, historical criticism, literary criticism, contextual analysis, etc.
so, you are certainly welcome to your beliefs and to your strict interpretation of such matters, but these young ladies have the right to know that not all accept it. And just because one doesn't agree with you does NOT mean they are giving way to emotionalism OR eisogesis.
herev

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
^
There were also two well-known women preachers in Paul's time. In Romans 16:7 Paul sends greetings to a woman named Junia and calls her a fellow apostle. In Acts 18:26 Priscilla instructed Apollos on the word of God, along with Aquilla. In Rom 16.1-2 Phoebe is referred to using the masculine form of deacon. Women had a teaching role, and Paul never attacked them, but praised them. In acts 2:17-18 it says

God has given the gift to prophesy and teach by God. Denying this right is going against God's will. It also turns many against God. It is very hard for you to be told you can’t follow what your dreams and God call you to do, then be told that you can’t because you were born the wrong gender.
Another interesting thing is that most the missionaries in the world, especially in the early century have been women. It has always been ok for women to go into "unknown" lands and preach, and it was often encouraged as the 'White Man's Burden' The problem always came when they wanted to preach at home.

also - http://www.christian-thinktank.com/fem08.html
well said

Upvote 0

bronzebender

Jan 19, 2007
✟15,169.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Breetai, may I ask a question? I didn't read through all the posts, so this may have been asked previously, but here is my question.

What about areas where there are NO suitable male leaders? And those areas do exist. Should there just be no church at all, since women shouldn't be pators? Or would you allow a woman to lead a church in such a situation?

I do agree that men should be the top human authority in a church. But I have no problem with women in the pulpit. I know what the Bible says, so that makes it really hard. Should I refuse the teaching of my pastor's wife simply because she is female? Should I tune out if a female is teaching? If I seek to follow that scripture, isn't that the right response? What should I do?

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Breetai, may I ask a question? I didn't read through all the posts, so this may have been asked previously, but here is my question.

What about areas where there are NO suitable male leaders? And those areas do exist. Should there just be no church at all, since women shouldn't be pators? Or would you allow a woman to lead a church in such a situation?

I do agree that men should be the top human authority in a church. But I have no problem with women in the pulpit. I know what the Bible says, so that makes it really hard. Should I refuse the teaching of my pastor's wife simply because she is female? Should I tune out if a female is teaching? If I seek to follow that scripture, isn't that the right response? What should I do?
Sometimes good teaching is hard to find. If you have a good woman teacher/leader (which I have had many of!) my advice is to follow them and allow their teaching to guide you.

There are many examples of women in high levels of leadership in the Bible. I'll repost this link for you:
http://www.alabaster-jars.com/womenindex.html
:)

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2007
✟10,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe that women have the right to be pastors. But I don't want to debate this right now, so I think I'll just back out of the thread slowly.

lol Good choice. i am glad to see you and others here giving your heartfelt responses. :thumbsup:

God bless you! :hug:

My Response: Is that all should preach and teach, no matter the place. ty.

noholdsbarred!

JESUS CHRIST LIVES!

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2007
✟10,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Amen brother! wow! God bless you! :thumbsup: :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 8, 2007
✟10,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Amen.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2007
✟10,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, I hate how these verses have been used over the years as an excuse to disempower women, and boy has it worked. I know so many badly hurt women, because males were afraid to let them follow their calling, many of them struggling to keep a faith alive.
While I'm studying theology, I have no personal desire to be a church pastor, partly because I have seen what churches can put their pastors through, and I recognise my calling to ministry is not church based, and for this I praise the Lord.
As far as I can tell, the debate is mostly over whether women can have the title, as although there is the occasional church who refuse to have women preach, these churches don't tend to be happy growing churches from what I've seen. They are allowed, even often expected to do the work anyway. Can we quit arguing and get on with it? Enough people have been hurt already!
Joel 2:28-29
And afterward, I will pour out my spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my spirit in the last days.

I think God has every intention of using women to work for him. I'm not sure his church has the same opinion.
what do we think of people like Deborah? and Lydia? And Abigail?

AMEN SISTER!

Upvote 0

lynxfx

Aug 31, 2006
UK
✟15,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never really thought there was a debate as we are all equal etc.. but reading the following passage from scripture it really tears my mind:
TITUS 1 v5-6
"An elder must be well thought of for his good life. He must be faithfull to his wife..." it goes on constatly referring to the elder as a HE

Is the word of God not here saying that the elder ( pastor ) is meant to be male ? This is not my personal opinion but as I am not God I do not say what should be done. I really don't know how to take this scripture in any other way.

God bless Chris

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I never really thought there was a debate as we are all equal etc.. but reading the following passage from scripture it really tears my mind:
TITUS 1 v5-6
"An elder must be well thought of for his good life. He must be faithfull to his wife..." it goes on constatly referring to the elder as a HE

Is the word of God not here saying that the elder ( pastor ) is meant to be male ? This is not my personal opinion but as I am not God I do not say what should be done. I really don't know how to take this scripture in any other way.

God bless Chris
I'd ask Herev if I were you. He posted a few times on the last couple pages or so of this thread and invited anyone to PM him.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
TITUS 1 v5-6

God bless Chris
From Ephesians 4

1Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
2with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
3being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
5one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
7But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift.
8Therefore it says,
"WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH,
HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES,
AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN."
9(Now this expression, "He ascended," what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.)

11And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
12for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Now I don't see it specify there that only men are given these gifts, and that leaves me to conclude that women receive them as well. And it's a sin not to use the gifts God gave us. So what do you want women to do? Sin or rebel against outdated patriarchal social standards?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
From Ephesians 4

1Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
2with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
3being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
5one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
7But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift.
8Therefore it says,
"WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH,
HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES,
AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN."
9(Now this expression, "He ascended," what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.)
11And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
12for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Now I don't see it specify there that only men are given these gifts, and that leaves me to conclude that women receive them as well. And it's a sin not to use the gifts God gave us. So what do you want women to do? Sin or rebel against outdated patriarchal social standards?
:thumbsup:

You can also think of "Men" as "mankind" right?

Upvote 0

favoredbyGod

Feb 2, 2007
✟8,229.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you research what Paul was talking about he was speaking of the women in the Ephesus church and how they started a lot of confusion in that particular church.

the bible states that God is not a respector of persons, their is NO male or female in Christ Jesus we are all one!

Remember Priscilla and Aquilla (Priscilla being a woman the dominant one which is why her name is always listed first) help Paul with their ministry traveling and they even had church in their home.

So you really have to do your homework before you come to a conclusion.

Scripture also says, If your eyes or hands cause you to sin, cut them off.

All of us have sinned right? How many of us have cut off our hands or cut out our eyes?
NONE, I hope. You would be foolish to. Thats why it is important to research the scriptural context so you can know why it was said!

Reactions: LuvAslan
Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
If you research what Paul was talking about he was speaking of the women in the Ephesus church and how they started a lot of confusion in that particular church.

the bible states that God is not a respector of persons, their is NO male or female in Christ Jesus we are all one!

Remember Priscilla and Aquilla (Priscilla being a woman the dominant one which is why her name is always listed first) help Paul with their ministry traveling and they even had church in their home.

So you really have to do your homework before you come to a conclusion.

Scripture also says, If your eyes or hands cause you to sin, cut them off.

All of us have sinned right? How many of us have cut off our hands or cut out our eyes?
NONE, I hope. You would be foolish to. Thats why it is important to research the scriptural context so you can know why it was said!
Good post!
:)

Upvote 0

UniqueByGrace

Feb 17, 2007
England
✟15,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi, yes women can be Pastors. Both men and women worked in different fields with Jesus. i say women have a bone to pick with the devil because the devil picked on eve, so women must fight back and be victorious for Jesus. Deborah was a jugde in the bible, a leader atthe time. if you read Proverbs chapter 31 in the bible it speaks of the many qualities of a women of virtue notice that the woman has any roles but in the house and even in the working area of business in verse 16, so women who even did the strong works of men were valued. esther was a chosen women in the bible. Mary Magdalene was the first to see the Lord Jesus rise from the dead.
check out Galatians 3:28
as soon as God gives the grace and ability a women can be Pastor.
God bless. UniqueByGrace xxx

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.