Visit site
✟7,727.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I work for Broadway in Chicago and this year our big headliner show is Book of Mormon. I was just wondering if anyone had seen it or heard about it and what you guys thought about the show. I know the South Park guys can get pretty offensive. Should I go see it or am I risking serious offense here? I'm not Mormon and I appreciate South Park's potty jokes as much as the next 23 year old American...

Here's a synopsis:
The Book of Mormon tells the story of two young Mormon missionaries sent to a remote village in northern Uganda, where a brutal warlord is threatening the local population. Naive and optimistic, the two missionaries try to share the Book of Mormon, one of their scriptures —which only one of them knows very well—but have trouble connecting with the locals, who are more worried about war, famine, poverty and AIDS than about religion.

So what's the verdict? Any ideas? Opinions?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟378,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The wife and I just saw it in NYC. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. The songs, as well as the play, were written by Matt, Trey, and a collaborator. I can't say any of the tunes are so memorable that you leave the theater humming them, bit the lyrics are extremely clever. In one number, the character sings this:

I'm about to do it for the first time
And I'm gonna do it with a girl
A special girl
Who makes my heart kinda flutter
Makes my eyes kinda blur
I can't believe I'm about...

To baptize her...

:D

The whole scene is a hilarious double-entendre. The dialogue contains 4 letter words and there are numerous references to male and female anatomy (in good South Park style.) The show is definitely irreverent, but not mean-spirited. It lampoons Mormonism big-time, but in a light-hearted way. The main plot element is really about overcoming insecurity and discovering strength inside oneself. I thought the ending was actually kinda sweet. People who take religion very seriously will be offended, but AFAIK, the Mormons themselves haven't made any big deal about it.

I give it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

More lyrics: The Book of Mormon Musical - Baptize Me Lyrics

Upvote 0