woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray a lot more in the hard times, I must admit. I just had one yesterday (some of the reason I am not going to church today). I realised again how little I have done with my life.. I have wanted to be a servant of God, but I have done so little.

JM

Does an author have to write a 100 books to effectively get his point across? It only takes one well-written book to make a point that will effect a positive change in the lives of those who read it.

Likewise, our walk with the Lord doesn't have to be about how much we've done for Him, but about how faithful we have been to Him in the little things, to show that Christ is in us, and that we aren't of the world.

Therefore, don't worry about whether you aren't doing enough for the Lord, as if to assert that you must exhaust yourself in doing many things in order to prove that you love Him, or to cause Him to love you more. There is nothing that you can do to cause Him to love you any more or less. He knew you before you even existed, and has always loved you.

Don't let your cares consume you. Instead, cast them on the Lord, believing that He cares for you. 1Pt. 5:7
By doing this you will soon discover that God doesn't merely call us to render Him service, but to enjoy His presence.

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
I pray a lot more in the hard times, I must admit. I just had one yesterday (some of the reason I am not going to church today). I realised again how little I have done with my life.. I have wanted to be a servant of God, but I have done so little.

JM
Our perspective changes when we view ourselves not as individuals but as part of the body of Christ. The nail on my little finger has not done as much in my body as has my heart but what my nail has done the heart can never do.

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SundaySUNDAYSeptember 30

A Guide for the Journey: The Shepherd

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want" (Ps. 23:1, NKJV).

Some children were asked to draw a picture of God. Each one drew a heart somewhere in it. When asked why, they declared unanimously that God is love.

It is easy to have a good opinion about God and His purposes when everything is going well. As we grow older and life becomes harder and more complicated, our view of God often changes. God doesn't change (Heb. 13:8, James 1:17); we do.

Because of the pastoral lifestyle of the people in Old Testament times, Psalm 23 uses the image of a shepherd to describe how God cares for us. The symbol of a shepherd is used for God—in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. It's a wonderful and changeless picture. Before we look at Psalm 23, let's survey how different Bible writers understand the work and character of the Shepherd.

What do you learn about the Shepherd from each text?

Isa. 40:11

Jer. 23:3, 4

Ezek. 34:12

John 10:14-16

1 Pet. 2:25

What does the Shepherd do to care for His sheep in Psalm 23:2-6?

What does it mean to you to know that there is Someone like this caring for you?

How could you encourage someone whose own picture of God has been obscured because of his or her struggles?

Remember to post your thoughts and questions for todays lesson.

Respectfully, your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
MONDAY
October 1

Locations on the Journey

"He leads me in right paths for his name's sake" (Ps. 23:3, NRSV).

Imagine the "paths of righteousness" (vs. 3) stretching out before you, way out into the distance. You cannot see the end, but you know that at the end of the journey is home, God's house. As you focus a little closer to you, do you see where the paths lead to? You can see some places clearly, but other parts are totally obstructed by large or dangerous obstacles. Sometimes the path disappears over a ridge. Some parts of the path are easy to walk along; others are difficult. It was just like this as Israel traveled from Egypt to the Promised Land, and it is described the same way in this psalm.

Identify from Psalm 23 the locations that David sees the sheep passing through when following the paths of righteousness as they make their way to the house of the Lord.

But why are these paths called "paths of righteousness" (NIV, KJV) or "right paths" (NRSV)? Here are four important reasons. First, they are the right paths because they lead to the right destination—the Shepherd's home. Second, they are the right paths because they keep us in harmony with the right Person—the Shepherd Himself. Third, they are the right paths because they train us to be the right people like the Shepherd. Fourth, they are the right paths because they give us the right witness. As we become the right people, we give glory to the Lord. They are "right" or "righteous" paths whether the going is easy or hard.
It is important to realize that when God leads us, it is not simply a question of His delivering a parcel to the destination. It is much more than guidance and protection. Like the many examples all through the Bible in which God is leading His people (whether it is leading Abraham by His promises or leading Israel by the pillar of fire and cloud), when God is guiding, it is always about Him training His people in righteousness.

How conscious are you that righteousness is the Shepherd's priority for your life? How can trials change your life so that you better reflect the character of Christ?

Don't forget to add your thoughts, comments, and additional questions. :wave:

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟455,118.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SS Lesson Study for Tuesday. 10/2/07 for Sabbath 10/6/07

Unexpected Detour 1: The Valley

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me" (Ps. 23:4, NKJV).
It would be nice if the paths of righteousness wound their way only along the grass-covered banks of cool streams. But that is not the way David paints it. Also along these paths is the valley of the shadow of death—not a place that we are too eager to visit! At certain times of the year, the wadis and ravines found in Israel are krone to flash floods that could come unexpectedly and prove overwhelming. These places are also characteristically narrow, with steep sides that block out the light. Hence, "the shadow of death" is an image for a "very deep shadow" or "deep darkness."
Think about the times you have been in your own "valley of the shadow of death." What has it been like? Did you have fear, even though you knew that the Shepherd was there? Which Bible texts were most precious to you at that time and why?

How do you think the sheep ended up in the valley? Do you think the sheep went there on their own, or did the Shepherd lead the sheep that way Himself? Justify your answer.

Elisabeth Elliot writes, "A lamb who found himself in the Valley of the Shadow of Death might conclude that he had been falsely led. It was needful for him to traverse that darkness in order to learn not to fear. The Shepherd is still with him."—Quest for Love (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Fleming H. Revell, 1996), p. 218. Have you ever felt that you have been "falsely led" into the valley? How did you respond to God during this time? Why do you think the Shepherd might be willing to risk being misunderstood by permitting us to enter a dark valley?

Please post your remarks and questions each day as an additional post just like any other thread.

Thanks,
Red

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Doc--sorry--it's been a very busy week for me. But this quarters lessons hit our family head on. We have been thru a terrible ordeal for over 5 years now.

And I can tell you that severe trials inform you of your true spiritual state. We may think we have a certain level of 'maturity' in the 'walk'--but let something horrific happen from out of the blue--and you will find out really quick where you are truly in need of fixing.

The easy times will never reveal this to us. Even thought the Word tell us to praise God in EVERYTHING--I can tell you that it is almost impossible to that. It's after you come out of your shock is when you can begin to see the hand of God even in the fire.

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
WWWEDNESDAYWWWWW
WEDNSDAY October 3

Unexpected Detour 1: The Surrounded Table

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over" (Ps. 23:5, NKJV).

Throughout our lives we will inevitably have enemies. How do you deal with them? Have you ever lain awake at night, dreaming up ways to take revenge on those who are trying to hurt you or destroy your work? It can be hard for Christians to deal with enemies.

What type of enemies have you had? How have you responded to those who have tried to hurt you? How well did you follow Christ's words in Matthew 5:44 or Paul's words in Romans 12:18-21?

In Psalm 23:5, David shows us a way of dealing with enemies. He obscures their presence by looking instead at what God is doing in his behalf. And God is there preparing a banquet for him.

In David's culture, when an honored guest came for a feast, the host would anoint his head with oil as the guest was about to enter the banqueting hall. The oil was a mixture of olive oil and perfume. Then the guest would be seated in front of far more food than he or she could ever eat.

How could the three items (table, oil, cup) in Psalm 23:5 help to remind us about how God provides, even when we are in the valley?

As Paul reminds us, "our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places" (Eph. 6:12, NRSV). Our enemies include those we see and those we don't. Yet, when we are with the Shepherd, not one enemy, visible or invisible, can steal what He has provided for us.

Reflect on how the Shepherd has treated you when you have been surrounded by enemies. What can you see during these difficulties that can enable you to give thanks?

Don't forget to post your comments and questions.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟455,118.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know you were thinking Wednesday
WEDNESDWEDNESDAY October 3

Unexpected Detour 1: The Surrounded Table

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over" (Ps. 23:5, NKJV).

Throughout our lives we will inevitably have enemies. How do you deal with them? Have you ever lain awake at night, dreaming up ways to take revenge on those who are trying to hurt you or destroy your work? It can be hard for Christians to deal with enemies.

What type of enemies have you had? How have you responded to those who have tried to hurt you? How well did you follow Christ's words in Matthew 5:44 or Paul's words in Romans 12:18-21?

In Psalm 23:5, David shows us a way of dealing with enemies. He obscures their presence by looking instead at what God is doing in his behalf. And God is there preparing a banquet for him.

In David's culture, when an honored guest came for a feast, the host would anoint his head with oil as the guest was about to enter the banqueting hall. The oil was a mixture of olive oil and perfume. Then the guest would be seated in front of far more food than he or she could ever eat.

How could the three items (table, oil, cup) in Psalm 23:5 help to remind us about how God provides, even when we are in the valley?

As Paul reminds us, "our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places" (Eph. 6:12, NRSV). Our enemies include those we see and those we don't. Yet, when we are with the Shepherd, not one enemy, visible or invisible, can steal what He has provided for us.

Reflect on how the Shepherd has treated you when you have been surrounded by enemies. What can you see during these difficulties that can enable you to give thanks?

Don't forget to post your comments and questions.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

I was still contemplating "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me" (Ps. 23:4, NKJV), as this week has been personally challenging for me...

Looking at "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over" (Ps. 23:5, NKJV), brings up different challenges. In life we are always surround by what sin and evil has made into enemies of God and his people. Looking and only seeing those things or Christians who are Gods people and the good they do can be hard, but you can find what are Gods and be surrounded by them even in with enemies all around......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
I was still contemplating "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me" (Ps. 23:4, NKJV), as this week has been personally challenging for me...
Why do so many who pray this prayer fear evil. Even on this forum many posts refect the fact that the authors are not only opposed to evil but actually fear it.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟455,118.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THURSDAY October 4

A Certain Promise for the Journey
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Ps. 23:6, NKJV).
In the valley or surrounded by enemies, it is sometimes tempting to believe we are alone. It does not always feel as though God has been doing much. But David obviously does not see it like this.
In spite of his trials, what two things does David say in verse 6 that he is certain of? See also Eph. 1:4, 2 Pet. 1:10, Heb. 11:13-15.

Some translations say that goodness and unfailing love will "follow" me all the days of my life. But the original verb is stronger, and the text should read that goodness and unfailing love will "pursue" me all the days of my life. (In fact, it's the same verb form used in Genesis 14:14, Joshua 10:19, and 1 Samuel 25:29 where the idea of "pursuit" is very clear.)
How do you picture goodness and unfailing love "pursuing" you? What do you think David meant by describing God's care for us this way?

No matter how deep the valley or persistent the enemies, the certainty of God's goodness, unfailing love, and guidance is unquestionable. If these thoughts could sustain Jesus through Calvary, we should take heart.

There are times, however, when those we care for are full of questions. Like David, the best way to address these concerns is often not with a theological description of what God can do. Rather, as David shows us in verse 6, it is through an affirmation, the sharing of a personal conviction, of the truth about our God.
What evidence is there from your own knowledge of God that illustrates the certainty of His goodness and unfailing love? What evidences could you add from the Bible? How could you share this with those who may be questioning God's care? How is the Cross the greatest example of this "pursuit"?

FRIDAY
Please post your remarks and questions each day as an additional post just like any other thread.

Thanks,

Red

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1]The Shepherd's Crucible[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial](Psalms 23) [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Introduction: All my life I have heard that Jesus is the Good Shepherd and I am one of the dumb sheep. I accept that. I know I need protection. I know that I can make some really dumb decisions. What occurred to me for the first time last week is that the sheep also get sheared and eaten! Their lives are preserved by the shepherd so that they can in turn give up their lives for others. Why don't we discuss that part of the sheep analogy? Is it because we don't want to, or because the focus of the illustration is elsewhere? Let's dive into our study today and find out what Psalms 23 has to say about the sheep story!
  1. My Shepherd
    1. Read Psalms 23:1-3. Who wrote these verses? (King David - who grew up as a shepherd.)
      1. When you think of King David, do you think of him as a "sheep?" (No. I think of him as a great warrior-king.)
      2. Why do you think he thought of himself as God's sheep? What characteristics of the shepherd/sheep arrangement does he mention in these verses? (The shepherd takes care of the sheep's needs.)
      3. The mention of water and grass make it seem that God takes care of our essentials. Why does David refer to "paths of righteousness?" (Read John 21:15-17. It is likely that David is only referring to spiritual food and water.)
        1. When David refers to spiritual nourishment, is he telling us God will make us great theologians if we stick with Him?
        2. What does he mean when he refers to having his "soul" restored? (Notice the terms used: "green" pastures, "quiet" waters and "he restores my soul." David is writing about that aspect of spirituality which gives us peace, confidence, rest and joy.)
      4. Why does Psalms 23:3 say that God does this? (For His name's sake. A calm, confidence, peaceful demeanor on our part in the storms of life brings glory to our God.)
        1. What stake does a shepherd have in his sheep? (A shepherd who let his sheep get injured and go hungry would develop a poor reputation. God is concerned about His reputation.)
      5. Notice that the sheep must be "made" to lie down in green pastures and be "led" by quiet waters. What does that suggest about our attitudes in life? (That peace, confidence, rest and joy are not natural.)
        1. What does this suggest about following the natural desires of our heart?
      6. Do you sometimes feel that you are the only one who has gone through the kind of emotional and spiritual problems that you face? That no one else can really understand your situation? What does this analogy to "paths of righteousness" suggest about you being a pioneer in unhappiness? (If you are "off the path" that God has in mind for you, then you may be treading new ground. But, a "path," is a place where many others have walked before. In problems, God has a spiritual "green place" for you that has worked for many others.)
    2. Read Psalms 23:4. What does the phrase "valley of the shadow of death" bring to mind? (A valley is a low spot. A shadow is dark. It lacks light. On the other hand, a shadow is not the real thing. My shadow is simply a dark representation of me. This seems to be a situation in which I am very low, I have trouble seeing the light, and my dark outlook makes me think that my death is at hand, even though it is not.)
      1. We just painted a terrible picture. Why would the sheep in that situation not fear? (God is with us.)
      2. As far as I can tell, King David suggests that two sticks give us comfort. How do you understand this "two stick" theory?
        1. Read Leviticus 27:32. What was one use of the shepherd's rod? (To count the sheep. God knows about you. He counts you as one of His. That gives you confidence in the face of apparent death.)
        2. Read 1 Samuel 17:40. With what did David face Goliath? (His staff and five stones. A staff was a weapon the shepherd could use against intruders. Thus, the two stick theory is that God counts us as His, and He stands ready to protect us against intruders.)
      3. Let's stop a minute and revisit my introduction. The sheep (at least some of them) are ultimately headed for the cooking pot. Why should we take confidence in a shepherd who oversees that process? (Read Hebrews 13:5-6. The Good Shepherd knows us, He protects us, and nothing happens to us without His consent. If we love and trust Him, that gives us confidence about the future. Note also that King David, when he compares God to a shepherd, does not spend any time on the cooking pot side of things. Instead, he focuses on the care and protection given by the shepherd.)
  2. My Cook
    1. Read Psalms 23:5. Have you ever seen a dog who eats in the presence of another dog? How does the eater act? (This is not always true, but often the dog who is eating eats quickly and defensively so that the other dog will not steal his food.)
      1. What is David saying to us in this verse? Are we eating quickly and defensively? (No. This is not a quick meal. God prepares a "table" - a big spread of food - right in front of my enemies. Normally, this would make you nervous. The picture is that God laughs at our enemies. He puts us in a place in which we can ignore them to such a degree that it is comfortable to eat.)
      2. Read Luke 7:46. To what custom is David referring when he says God "anoints my head with oil?" (This is a sign of blessing and favor.)
      3. Just as you might expect, a sheep is not good at holding his cup steady. Is that the meaning of "my cup overflows?" (No. God gives more blessings than we can comfortably handle.)
  3. My Future
    1. Read Psalms 23:6. There are several references in Psalms 23 to negative circumstances. You have a soul that needs restoration (v.3), you walk through "the valley of the shadow of death" (v.4), there is "evil" around(v.4), you have need for comfort (v.4), and there are nearby enemies (v.5). What kind of life does that suggest the sheep would be living without the shepherd?
      1. What kind of life does the sheep who confidently follows the Good Shepherd live? (A life filled with goodness and love.)
      2. What, ultimately, is the fate of the sheep who are with the Good Shepherd - the cooking pot? (No! We are God's house guests for eternity!)
    2. Friend, we are on the journey of life. Problems are all around us. Would you like to take that journey in the presence of the Good Shepherd? Would you like the peace of mind that His presence brings? Would you like to know that at the end of this journey you will live in His presence forever? Give up your sins and give your heart to Him today. Sign up to be one of His sheep - one who avoids the cooking pot!

Doc :wave:
[/FONT][/SIZE]
whitespace.gif

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟455,118.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FRIDAY October 5

Further Study: Read Ellen G. White, "Missionaries in the Home," p. 143, in Testimonies for the Church, vol. 4; "The Divine Shepherd," pp. 476-484, in The Desire of Ages.
"Those who are finally victorious will have seasons of terrible perplexity and trial in their religious life; but they must not cast away their confidence, for this is a part of their discipline in the school of Christ, and it is essential in order that all dross may be purged away. The servant of God must endure with fortitude the attacks of the enemy, his grievous taunts, and must overcome the obstacles which Satan will place in his way. . . .
"But if you keep looking up, not down at your difficulties, you will not faint in the way, you will soon see Jesus reaching His hand to help you, and you will only have to give Him your hand in simple confidence, and let Him lead you. As you become trustful, you will become hopeful. . . . "You will find help in Christ to form a strong, symmetrical, beautiful character. Satan cannot make of none effect the light shining forth from such a character. . . . God has given us His best gift, even His only-begotten Son, to uplift, ennoble, and fit us, by putting on us His own perfection of character, for a home in His kingdom."—Ellen G. White, Messages to Young People, pp. 63, 64.

Discussion Questions: To what extent have you been aware that the "terrible perplexity and trial" that comes into your life may actually be part of your "discipline in the school of Christ"?

How might our help, comfort, and encouragement to those in the valley be part of the Shepherd's way of getting people through their crises? What things can you as a church do to be better used by the Lord to help those in need?

1n class, go around and have each person talk about how goodness and mercy "pursued" them. What can you learn from one another's experiences?

Think about the last hours of Christ's life, as He entered into the crucible. From what you can tell, either from the Bible or Ellen White (The Desire of Ages is a great source), how was Jesus, in His humanity, able to endure? What can we take from His example for ourselves in whatever crucibles we face, as well?

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟455,118.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I N S I D E Story Stubborn Believer
by ISAAC ROBLES
I first learned about Adventists when I was ten years old. My older brother, Felipe, had become an Adventist and shared with me what he was learning. But my father did not like Felipe's new religion and told him to stop teaching me and taking me to church. My father thought Adventists were a strange cult that had brainwashed my brother. Although my brother could no longer take me to church, I had learned enough to know that the Sabbath was special. So I tried to spend Sabbaths in my room. I read the Bible and some Ellen White books my brother gave me.
I continued to keep the Sabbath in my room, but my father forced me to attend church with him on Sunday and take part in certain rituals. I didn't want to, but I was just a kid.
My brother had moved to New York, and when I was 12 I went to visit him there. At last I could go to church, finish Bible studies, and be baptized. I felt great that I could follow God. I thought that when my father knew I had been baptized, he would let me worship according to my faith, but that didn't happen. He still made me go to church with him and forbade me to go to church on Sabbath.
For four years I tried to keep the Sabbath, all while my father, aunts, and uncles tried to talk me out of it. Some of my cousins called me "Bible man," but still I did not give up.
One day my cousin found a tract in the trash. He read it and asked me about it. I told him Adventists printed it, and he read it with interest. But I could not teach him or take him to church.
When I was 17 my brother's father-in-law visited and invited me to go to church. At last my father allowed me to start attending church. I told the church pastor about my cousin and the tract he had found. The pastor and I visited my cousin and his wife, and we gave them Bible studies. He and his wife have decided to be baptized as well.
My father even allowed me to study at the Adventist university in Puerto Rico. I praise God for providing a sponsor and a job to help me pay my fees. My father and I have a better relationship now. I hope that one day he will accept my faith.
I thank God for my brother who shared what he learned with me. Your mission offerings make it possible for thousands to hear God's Word every day.

PAULINE NOGELO (left) was a student at the University of Eastern Africa in Baruton, Kenya, when she shared her testimony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
LESSON 2
*October 6 - 13 The Crucibles That Come
gless02.jpg
dot.gif

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week's Study: Jer. 9:7-16, Rom. 1:21-32, 2 Cor. 12:7-12, 1 Pet. 4:12-19, 5:8-11.

Memory Text: "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed" (1 Peter 4:12, 13, NKJV).

In chemistry labs one often places various materials into a small container and heats them to extreme temperatures. As the container becomes hotter, the materials either melt, fizzle, spit, or burn brightly, depending upon what they are made of. The container is called a crucible.

A crucible is defined in the dictionary as (1) a vessel used for melting a substance that requires a high degree of heat, (2) a severe test, (3) a place or situation in which concentrated forces interact to cause or influence change or development.

These definitions also give us a helpful insight into what happens in our spiritual lives. This week we'll highlight some reasons that we may suddenly find ourselves under pressure and experiencing tests in places in which circumstances cause us to change, develop, and grow in character. This will help to give us an awareness of what God is doing in our lives so that when we enter a crucible, we will have an idea of how to respond.

The Week at a Glance:

What are the causes of the difficult times that we experience through our lives?

*Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, October 13.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SUNDAY
Sunday October 7, 2007

Surprises

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you" (1 Pet. 4:12, NIV).

Surprises, painful surprises, can come in many ways. A car veering across the road into your path. A sudden notification that you're losing your job. A medical test that gives you unexpected bad news. The betrayal by someone you loved and who you thought loved you. As bad as the pain can be, it's always made worse by the element of surprise.

This week we will look at a few specific types of painful situations or crucibles that should not take us by surprise. To begin, let's go back to the text for today in Peter. The Greek word for "surprised" in 1 Peter 4:12 means to be "alien" or "foreign." Peter is urging his readers not to fall into the trap of believing that fiery ordeals and trials are alien to Christian experience. Rather, they are to be considered normal—they can and should be expected.

The word used for "fiery ordeal" (NRSV) or "painful trial" (NIV) or "fiery trial" (NKJV) comes from another Greek word, and it means "a burning." In other places it is translated "furnace." This experience of suffering for our faith could therefore be considered a "smelting process," the process of the crucible.
Read 1 Peter 4:12-19. What is Peter's message?
Notes:

Many of us are surprised about suffering because we often have an oversimplified view of the Christian life. We know there are two sides—God, who is good; and Satan, who is bad. But often we then automatically put everything that feels good in the box with God and everything that feels bad in the box with Satan. But life is not so simple. We cannot use our feelings to decide what is in God's box or Satan's box. Sometimes walking with God can be challenging and hard. And following Satan can appear to bring great rewards. Job, who is righteous yet suffering, illustrates this when he asked God, " 'Why do the wicked live on, growing old and increasing in power?' " (Job 21:7, NIV).

Peter was referring to trials that are the consequence of standing up for Christ. But there are also other reasons that trials come. How could 1 Peter 4:12-19 help you to tactfully explain to a friend why they should not be surprised at the painful trials they might face?
Notes:

Don't forget to post your comments and questions for each day.

Monday October 8, 2007

Crucibles of Satan

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Pet. 5:8, NKJV).

Read the above text. What's the message there for us? Ask yourself, "How seriously do I take these words?" What things do you do in your life that show whether you take them seriously?
Notes:

Have you ever watched a hungry lion? It's awesome because you know it can catch and eat just about anything it wants. Peter says that Satan is prowling around in the same way. The great tragedy is that when we look around, we can see the consequences of his desire to kill. Death, suffering, and the twisting and perverting of morals and values are everywhere. We cannot escape seeing the work of Satan.

Read 1 Peter 5:8-11. How should Christians react to Satan's prowling?
Notes:

What does God promise to do for those who are suffering? Verse 10.
Notes:

Peter writes these words in the context of responding to Satan's attacks on Christian faith. But as we have mentioned, Satan is at work in many different ways. And although we must be aware of the reality and the power of our enemy, we must never be discouraged, for we must always remember that Jesus has beaten Satan, that Satan is a defeated foe, and that as long as we stay connected with Jesus, as long as we cleave to Him in faith, we can never be defeated either. Because of the Cross, Christ's victory is our victory.

Think about the other ways that Satan causes pain. How could reading 1 Peter 5:8-11 help us to deal with the anguish that we experience because of our fate in living in a sinful world where Satan is allowed to wreak havoc?
Notes:

Don't forget to post your comments and questions for each day.

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Introduction: What should a committed Christian expect in life? The Bible gives us all sorts of advice for living better lives. Deuteronomy 28 promises us that if we obey God He will give us a better life here on earth. On the other hand, if we are careless about obeying God we will have a difficult life here. Why, then, do we find these texts in the Bible which tell Christians to expect bad things? Let's dive into our lesson and see what we can learn from the Bible!

Don't Be Surprised

1. Read Deuteronomy 28:1-8. What does God promise us if we "fully obey" Him? (He promises us blessings. If you read Deuteronomy 28:1-45 you will get the full flavor of this. If you disobey God, your life will be pretty terrible and frustrating.)
  2. Read 1 Peter 4:12. After reading Deuteronomy 28, you bet I'm surprised. Suffering is strange when placed against the backdrop of Deuteronomy 28. If God does not change, and His word is reliable, how do you explain these apparently contradictory statements?
  3. Let's look at the context of 1 Peter 4:12. Continue by reading 1 Peter 4:13-16. Should we expect to suffer for our disobedience to God? (Yes. Peter says you can expect to suffer as a meddler, murderer, or thief.)
    1. What seems to be the exception to the rule of obey and prosper, disobey and suffer? (Peter points out how Jesus suffered. Jesus was leading the charge in the conflict between good and evil. As a result, He was targeted by Satan and his followers. Peter says we can expect the same thing.)
  4. Read 1 Peter 4:17-19. Peter continues in the vein of Deuteronomy 28 by comparing those who follow God with those who do not. Have our expected outcomes changed from the Old Testament to the New Testament? (No! Peter says "If you think you've got problems as a follower of Jesus, imagine what is coming upon the unrighteous!")
    1. What seems to be the primary source of problems for the unrighteous? (The judgment of God.)
  5. Read 1 Peter 5:8-9. Will our sufferings only come from unbelievers who are unhappy that we follow Jesus? (No. Satan is looking to harm us.)
    1. If Satan is looking to harm the followers of Jesus, what good is it to "be self-controlled and alert?" (This suggests that Satan is looking to cause us to sin - which will then trigger our suffering.)
      1. Is it only our sin that causes us to suffer? (The sense of verse 9 is that our suffering causes us to consider abandoning our faith. It refers to "our brothers" undergoing the same kind of suffering. Thus, we are suffering attacks of Satan even though we are obedient.)
  6. Read 1 Peter 5:10-11. Will God return us to a state of blessing if we are faithful? (Yes. We suffer "a little while.")
1. Is this state of blessing here on earth? (The text does not specifically say, but it refers to us being called to "eternal glory in Christ." That is a reference to heaven.)

Upvote 0