Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past
Jan 29, 2005
Southern Oregon
✟14,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Edna St. Vincent Millay wrote, in a poem about a death (& Paul Simon stole just a half-line from it for his Graceland project):

"I know what I know,
But I don't approve
And I am not resigned."

Now, I'm assuming your work reflects your reality....:cry:....but realize that an artist draws from other people's lives, experiences, and viewpoints, and from some Godly place in one's own mind. Some years ago, a dear long-time friend lost her toddler, and I went through all the "stages of grief", and a poem I wrote brought folks to me wide-eyed, saying, "I'm so sorry your baby died!" My response was, "When a child dies, we all die with her a little, because we will miss all she cannot now provide." And it amazed me that people would make the assumption that my writing had to be nonfiction. :scratch: (After all, I'm sure they didn't ask Ray Bradbury if he'd really met Martians.) When my infant grand-daughter died, God granted me through the hole in my heart a verse, which we printed on the memorial folders. And incidentally, I no longer felt privileged to lay claim to the grief of another person who has lost a child. Bless you for sharing your work.

Upvote 0

jobstears

Jan 20, 2005
✟357.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi ConstanceB,:wave:

As writers we all write from a variety of places...much of what I write is from my own personal experiences, as I did in this piece, but on the same token, I also write from the many worlds of the muse that lives in my head; that's the uniqueness of writers, we have many prospectives to glean from, isn't that wonderful?

Thank you for your poignant words regarding my poem; and even though it happened when I was a little girl, the pain of loss still knocks on the front door of my mind.:cry:

blessings,
jobstears

Upvote 0