Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recently spoke with a friend of mine who is a self-described pagan (by which she simply means "non-Christian"). She is a writer, and is currently working on a book in which the Christians are the bad guys. I asked her how that was going to play out; she said the bad guys aren't bad guys because they're Christians, but because they're bad guys who happen to be Christians. When I brought up Brennan Manning, she nodded emphatically.

Brennan Manning said:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

I am not an atheist. I actually swing closer to Agnostic Christianity, though that term falls short as well. I believe there is a god, but I cannot believe he/she/it is as described by Christians today. I am not totally sold on the god described in the Bible, either.

Many an atheist has brought up the genocide commanded by god in the Old Testament, as well as the killing of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5. These things seem inconsistent with a god of love and grace. Hell also seems contradictory to the nature of a loving god who could save all of humanity from it, but chooses not to.

These are just some of the things that make me question whether or not god is as described by Christians. "But the Bible says so" is not valid to me, either; I cannot comprehend why people are so willing to trust that a council of men--in a time when political back-stabbing was just as bad (if not more literal) than it is today--could discern which of god's books are "inspired," and which ones are not.

"But the Bible says God will protect His Word." Circular logic. The truth is, we cannot know with 100% certainty that the Bible is the unadulterated word of god to all its people, and to the world writ large. You may be convinced, but you could also be wrong. Human fallibility is a frustratingly dangerous thing in that regard.

The biggest "clincher" for me, though, is how Christians accept their god as loving, hide behind him when they can't explain his inconsistent behavior, and claim that he is a force that changes lives--yet their lives remain unchanged. Yes, people have used god as a way to kick addictions and turn their lives around in various ways, but are they really turning to something better?

I have had friends who were alcoholics, drug addicts, homeless, adulterers, even unrepentant murderers. They turned to Christianity, and yes, they were able to kick their habits, get back on their feet, and turn from their behavior. However, as time passed and they went deeper "into their faith," they became self-righteous, hypocritical, prejudicial bigots.

On the surface, these formerly troubled friends were hard-working, family-oriented people. They maintained their jobs, their cars, their families, their homes, and--for all intents and purposes--their lives, all to the glory of god.

They also wouldn't let gays into their home. They looked down on anyone who had so much as a beer or a cigarette. They showed no love for the homeless, whether it was giving a guy a buck or buying him a fast food hamburger. Those people they used to be became the objects of their derision. Adulterers were shunned, rather than approached with understanding and love (I don't equate those qualities with condoning an act).

I would not have my hangups if these were isolated incidents. Unfortunately, in the five sizeable churches I have attended at length (more than six months), these attitudes are prevalent in the congregations. They claim they are defending righteousness, but if righteousness comes from a perfect god, can he not defend it himself?

"I'm protecting myself and my family." Okay, I get that you don't want a gay man or woman in your home because of your preconceived notion they are borderline child molesters, but unless you have had some traumatic, personal experience, your prejudice is unfounded.

What is love, if it is not "loving the sinner but not loving the sin?" People throw out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak, in eschewing lifestyles and choices they deem inappropriate. I have struggled to communicate to people that a person is not their decisions; they are affected by their decisions. That doesn't mean you should let a murderer babysit your kid because of love, but it does mean recognizing that a murderer is more than a murderer; he is a human being, loved by god, and he should therefore be forgiven--whether or not he repents.

Mahatma Ghandi said:
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

If I ever return to Christianity, I expect it will look far different from what is recognized by most as Christianity. Yes, I fall into the category of, "I had a bad experience and so I am doubting," but--whatever god looks like in its character--I conclude that I must have been brought to this point in order to doubt, so I won't continue to follow a false path.

If the god described by Christians is all they say he is, then there should be far more good done by Christians than bad. People would normally point to the Crusades and Inquisitions, the forced conversions of Native Americans, and other events in history to illustrate offenses committed by Christians. In my observation, more contemporary, subtle, and long-standing offenses exist in those who are walking among the world today. What breaks my heart is that these offenses are condoned and commanded from the pulpit, encouraged by Christian culture, and defended with the marching line of the Templars:

"God wills it."

I will point out one unconfirmed story of a Native American who was tied to a stake to be burned if he did not convert to Christianity. After being offered one last chance to accept Christ and be set free, he asked, "If I accept Christ, I will go to heaven when I die, correct?"

"Yes, of course."

"And in heaven, there will be Christians there, correct?"

"Yes, of course."

"Kill me now."

It's a sad state of affairs when the history of the church, into the modern day, shows a continual pattern of driving people away from the very thing they are meant to attract people toward. Of course, the Crusaders justified their actions. Likewise the Inquisitors, the White Europeans against the Native Americans, and countless Christian orders who infiltrated pagan lands. Even slavery was justified--and still is, in some places--as "the will of God." No one saw their actions as going against god's commandments at the time; it is only in hindsight that we see these things as unconscionable.

The atrocities still exist. In "developed" countries, there is less bloodshed and the hatred is more subtle, but it is perhaps just as prevalent as any time before today's era. Who would want to be a part of such hypocrisy?

In conclusion, I will say that I could be completely wrong. Even as a Christian I professed that idea (to the chagrin of the Southern Baptist Convention members I knew). All we can do is trust in what we believe. To quote Billy Joel, "you may be wrong, for all I know, but you may be right." I do not mean this as an attack on Christians; I mean it as an observation and my personal experience, in the hopes of bringing at least some to an understanding of my perspective.

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
They also wouldn't let gays into their home.

"I'm protecting myself and my family." Okay, I get that you don't want a gay man or woman in your home because of your preconceived notion they are borderline child molesters, but unless you have had some traumatic, personal experience, your prejudice is unfounded.

What is love, if it is not "loving the sinner but not loving the sin?" People throw out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak, in eschewing lifestyles and choices they deem inappropriate. I have struggled to communicate to people that a person is not their decisions; they are affected by their decisions. That doesn't mean you should let a murderer babysit your kid because of love, but it does mean recognizing that a murderer is more than a murderer; he is a human being, loved by god, and he should therefore be forgiven--whether or not he repents.

Are you gay?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

Nanopants

Keine I realize you want to be heard more than you want to be told, and I hear you, but I just want to throw something out there because I've been through it.

If I ever return to Christianity, I expect it will look far different from what is recognized by most as Christianity. Yes, I fall into the category of, "I had a bad experience and so I am doubting," but--whatever god looks like in its character--I conclude that I must have been brought to this point in order to doubt, so I won't continue to follow a false path.

Ok. Have you ever seen one of those holographic images, which is actually more than one image, depending on which way your turn it? I personally think that is roughly analogous to the way scripture works, which can be shown using scripture but I'll spare the boring details. If that's true, because the "image" one perceives of God depends on what the reader chooses to believe about God, the effect that it has is interactive: as the reader judges, the book judges the reader. The word of God isn't called a sword for nothing, and a sword cuts (divides). IOW, Christ came to bring a sword, and it does divide households, just as He said.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,510.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Biggest glaring thing mentioned was the part about wanting to be forgiven, whether or not the person repents. That's pretty unethical and asking way too much even from just another person, let alone God.

So you think a mere person might be more able to forgive than your all powerful forgiving god.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
So you think a mere person might be more able to forgive than your all powerful forgiving god.

Interesting.

No, I actually have a low opinion of people(to include myself) and I don't expect much from people based on the depraved history of mankind.

Reactions: Owlette
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Biggest glaring thing mentioned was the part about wanting to be forgiven, whether or not the person repents. That's pretty unethical and asking way too much even from just another person, let alone God.

Unethical? It's Biblical. We're to even forgive our enemies and bless those that curse us.
Bad to hear you had those experiences with christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,009,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keine wrote:

Hell also seems contradictory to the nature of a loving god who could save all of humanity from it, but chooses not to.

Sir, you'd be surprised how many Christians are starting to turn away from that particular theology thse days, and with good Biblical backup. *ahem*

But there's good examples of Christ followers and there's bad examples, sometimes differentiating between people (you may have one person inside a homeless shelter showing earnest compassion for the people she works with, and another person standing mere streets away outside on a corner holding up a "God Hates You" sign, and both claim to believe in Christ, for instance), and often conflicting within the same person (I myself for one can think of a few things I am genuinely ashamed of for having done or said in the name of God in my past). It's a normal human tendency to look at something in its entirety as a bad or undesireable thing because of the bad examples. Especially among religions, it's very easy for only the bad examples of them to get broadcast to the rest of the world, and the truth is obscured. That's why I try to avoid judging Muslims in spite of ISIS, for instance, and why I try to keep away from group conversations about how annoying Jehovah's Witnesses are because of the door-to-door thing.

I guess, the only thing you can do is try not to let your glasses get too rose-colored. But it's difficult for most humans not to.

Upvote 0

JackofSpades

Väinämöinen
May 10, 2014
✟1,792.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

My five cents:

You don't have to make decision to abandon every last bit of christianity or to accept it entirely. Embrace what you like there and don't accept what you don't. After practising this for while, zadam! - you have your own religion which works for you.

Now this might sound little bit wierd for someone who thinks religion must represent absolute truth, but I see it in a way that religion is just tool to give names and symbols for our connection with god.

Now, I of course understand that this doesn't lead to reconsiliation with other christians (since someone having their own, christianity-based religion isn't technically christian) so if thats what you're looking for, my solution definetly wont work.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My five cents:

You don't have to make decision to abandon every last bit of christianity or to accept it entirely. Embrace what you like there and don't accept what you don't. After practising this for while, zadam! - you have your own religion which works for you.

Now this might sound little bit wierd for someone who thinks religion must represent absolute truth, but I see it in a way that religion is just tool to give names and symbols for our connection with god.

Now, I of course understand that this doesn't lead to reconsiliation with other christians (since someone having their own, christianity-based religion isn't technically christian) so if thats what you're looking for, my solution definetly wont work.

It just might work. I think of all the different Christian beliefs/theologies and it really isn't radical to come up with your own. It isn't like Christians all agree. And that is the motivation. Present yourself as a Christian who doesn't exhibit the problems named. (or search for a church that doesn't.)

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟847,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've always found it strange when a Christian loses his or her faith because of other people. You lost hope because other people are flawed? That doesn't mean you couldn't figure out your own relationship with God, but it's Him we try to get our hope from. Not other people.

Not every Christian fits the mold you just described, of course, but you could've been a light in your own church if you felt it was so dark. you could've been a true inspiration.

At the same time, we are taught not to tolerate sin. God is a God of love, but He is also just, like a good father who teaches and corrects. He knows what the consequences of sin are in this life and has tried to spare us from all of it, but we keep running to the pain and our crutches and then blame God when bad things happen. He's not a cosmic killjoy like so many people think. If people actually listened to Him and followed wisdom, life would be SO much better for everyone.

We each make our own choices. What if we lived in a world where there was no murder? No theft? We all took care of each other so there was no need? No hunger? We blame God because we see on TV there are starving children, but what do we actually do to stop it? He gave us the way to live, a moral code, warned us the consequences of breaking that code and even provided a way out by sending His Son to die and yet people still want to blame God for all the bad in the world.

Maybe people should start taking more responsibility for their own actions, offer more love, give to those who are struggling, and actually repent of sins and work on correcting them and life would be better for everyone.

As for the bible...that's where faith comes in. I've had my doubts, but if you believe in God, you trust Him when He says His word will not pass away. It's not circular reasoning to think God will protect His own work and keep it from being corrupted.

Upvote 0