south wales
✟33,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you wouldn't accept my research if it contradicted your belief.

I just asked a question @trophy33 & he more or less told me to go & research it myself. As there is no research from you to accept, this is the reason I said 'go search it out for yourself' Don't just take my word for it.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,056,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what are you doing here posting on a conspiracy thread ?
I've told you before, my concern is with the Bible. And anyone who says "here's a verse; this IS the meaning" and then make a doctrine from it. That happens on other boards too, and all too often.
Flat earth is not a Scriptural teaching and has nothing to do with salvation. And if you don't understand that latter bit, you don't understand the Bible.

You may not have noticed, but the first post of this thread was a joke - I mean, a real one.
The statement was that the earth is 71% water which is not carbonated, therefore it's flat. A fizzy drink which has lost its "fizz" is said to be flat. The earth is made of 71% non carbonated (not fizzy) water, so that proves it's flat.

I should think the OP is the one who is laughing now; 58 pages on something which could have been answered with the words "very funny". Or maybe, "that's not the best joke I've ever heard."

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,056,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just asked a question @trophy33 & he more or less told me to go & research it myself. As there is no research from you to accept, this is the reason I said 'go search it out for yourself' Don't just take my word for it.
I'm sorry, but I'm not taking your word for anything.

If I can quote verses to you which say that nothing can snatch us from God's hand nor separate us from his love, tell you that I am fully vaccinated and you reply "at least the devil will be happy with you"; you don't understand Scripture.
If I can quote verses which tell us that a flat earth has nothing to do with salvation, and you reply "we have to be warned, in case of alien invasion"; you don't understand Scripture.
And I'm not listening to someone who dismisses ALL eye witness accounts, photos, documentaries, interviews etc as "lies" without providing any evidence to back up that sweeping statement.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟33,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may not have noticed, but the first post of this thread was a joke - I mean, a real one.
The statement was that the earth is 71% water which is not carbonated, therefore it's flat. A fizzy drink which has lost its "fizz" is said to be flat. The earth is made of 71% non carbonated (not fizzy) water, so that proves it's flat.

Yes I did notice, 58 pages on, who's laughing now.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟33,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I can quote verses to you which say that nothing can snatch us from God's hand nor separate us from his love, tell you that I am fully vaccinated and you reply "at least the devil will be happy with you"; you don't understand Scripture.

If you think that getting the covid jab was OK, it is you who doesn't understand Scripture.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟216,535.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Nah, it's real I can assure you, and guess what, there are billions who see it cross the sky everyday & it's not a star at the center of the Solar System, it is a light with it's abode being in the firmament, do you know how I know this ? God tells me so.
I have even seen the sun in England, although we see it less often than in some other countries.

Seeing the sun (*) rise in the East in the morning, cross the sky above us, then setting in the West in the evening, allows us to work out that the earth must be a globe. Doubly so when you realise that there are times zones - while some places are experiencing the midday sun, other areas are in the middle of the knight.

* - when not hidden by clouds.

Yes, I have watched some YouTube videos that explain how the sun moves above a flat earth. The problem is that these explanations fail to explain how the sun can simultaneously be overhead for some people while setting for others and rising for yet others, all at the same time.

The Bible was inspired by God but it was written by many different authors over centuries, in their own styles, usually using normal language. Language is not literal even when describing real things. It is normal to describe things as they appear to the observer. As has been pointed out repeatedly by others, the Bible does not generally explain how things work. The sun and moons are lights and cross the sky. No explanation or detail of how the light is created or how they move. That is for us to discover.

The only documents that attempt to be completely literal are legal documents - which ironically are then very difficult for normal people to understand. So, you end up paying another lawyer to explain it, or an even more expensive lawyer to find some loophole or alternative interpretation.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟216,535.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
When I go to our lake the bottom part of boats are under horizon a few miles away. Very simple way to verify roundness of earth with that method.
Agreed.

But there are flat earth YouTube videos that claim boat gets smaller due to perspective and if you have the right camera with a zoom (P900 is often quoted - seems to be a Flat Earther favourite) then you will see the whole boat by zooming in. One of these videos at the end shows just a mast. Duh!

An island that is visible from the top of a cliff but not at sea or lake level avoids any issues of it (the island) appearing to get smaller. You will actually be closer to the island at water level than from some high ground, so not being able to see it will not be due to it being too far away and thus too small to be seen.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,522.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If the earth is orbiting the sun, what holds the sun up ?
At which point I'm hitting the 'Unfollow' button. This was in some way a quaint thread where it was mildly interesting from a psychological viewpoint to see how far people could go in denying the undeniable. Now it has just become embarrassing. It's beginning to feel like we're belittling a school kid for her lack of knowledge.

I'm I outa here.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
If the earth is orbiting the sun, what holds the sun up ?
Serious answer: As far as the Sun is concerned, you could consider the center of the Milky Way galaxy to be "down". The Sun is in orbit around the galactic center. If the Sun were to fall out of orbit, it would fall into the galactic center. Being in orbit holds it up.

Non-serious answer: It's mostly made of hydrogen, so... it floats!

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,399.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At which point I'm hitting the 'Unfollow' button. This was in some way a quaint thread where it was mildly interesting from a psychological viewpoint to see how far people could go in denying the undeniable. Now it has just become embarrassing. It's beginning to feel like we're belittling a school kid for her lack of knowledge.

I'm I outa here.
It's like watching a slow moving train wreck.
So hard to not just gasp in amazement at what's going on.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,185,172.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
With CGI, it is possible to build computer models of all kinds of different worlds then record what would be seen from a human viewpoint on that world's surface. People have actually done this with flat earth cosmology and what they have recorded is nothing like what we actually observe, the most obvious being that the sun and moon are always visible and never disappear 'over the horizon'. When they build the globe earth model, with the moon orbiting the earth which then orbits the sun, what they record is exactly what we observe In reality.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,399.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to see an AI come up with a good flat Earth map.

But I'd be worried that it might break the AI...
Google's gemini just complains that there is no working model :D

• Informative
Reactions: Yttrium
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟151,585.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was in the context of your claim that you are more tuned in than most, you have some extraordinary knowledge about these things than most etc.

And yet, you are giving such basic 101 astronomy questions. Or better said, childish questions. While, after years of studying this topic, you should have an expert knowledge and much more broader perspectives. Which leads me to a conclusion you are closed in a very small, low quality sources and ignorant bubble.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟33,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Non-serious answer: It's mostly made of hydrogen, so... it floats!

What, like a balloon ? lol'z

With CGI, it is possible to build computer models of all kinds of different worlds then record what would be seen from a human viewpoint on that world's surface. People have actually done this with flat earth cosmology and what they have recorded is nothing like what we actually observe, the most obvious being that the sun and moon are always visible and never disappear 'over the horizon'. When they build the globe earth model, with the moon orbiting the earth which then orbits the sun, what they record is exactly what we observe In reality.

And what exactly do we observe in reality ? We observe in reality the sun traversing the sky. Nice try.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟216,535.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What, like a balloon ? lol'z

And what exactly do we observe in reality ? We observe in reality the sun traversing the sky. Nice try.
And this single observation, seen by millions of people every day, is why we know that the earth is a globe, not flat.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟33,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In modern times, the idea that we live in a geocentric universe upon a level stationary plane Earth has been so marginalized, mocked, and ridiculed that even attempting to have a serious conversation about the subject usually results in nothing but a barrage of smirks, sneers, and sarcasm. In some cases, people have even lost their jobs, reputations or relationships for daring to speak openly about this uniquely taboo topic. Centuries of heliocentric pseudoscience pushed by the Royal Astronomical Society, NASA, and other official organizations along with the systematic censorship of geocentric science has resulted in a stigma where most cannot even consider the subject or have a respectful conversation about it. Instead, the idea is immediately dismissed with utter disdain or exasperation, and the presenter treated as if they must be the most backwater ignoramus of the information age.
By Eric Dubay

Upvote 0