A Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest that we take the studying of the CCC very slowly. Not, boring slowly, but slowly.

One poster has already commented on it, and he's right.

Jerome Kropp over at The Catechism of the Catholic Church Internet Study Group has the right idea.

I don't think we want to do it that way -- but I would suggest that we follow a weekly discussion of either a subsection, a couple paragraphs, etc. If we see that the discussion is getting complex, we can always make whatever we're talking about longer, instead of every week a new section...

We should start a new thread, title it much like Jerome titles his, or something of that sort.

Finally, this Study forum should be exhaustive and conclusive. I encourage everyone, who may have doubts on the interpretation of the Catechism, to ensure that whatever answers they have regarding what the Catechism means, to yield to those around them. In other words, I don't want two or three people who can decide amongst themselves who is right, nor do I want debating or argumentative posts in this section.

This is the CCC. It is, what it is.

These are some ideas I'm presenting, but I personally would like to see these addressed, and I would like to see structure.

Thoughts?

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I think that sounds great! It would benefit me to have a few weeks assignments ahead of time... as some weeks I have more time than others.

I also think it would help me if at the end of the section if somebody could come up with a review-- to help reinforce what we've just learned.

What a great, great idea!!! I hope this gets going!

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Skripper said:
BA,

Is this related to the CCC thread that's already going or something else?
The current CCC thread, IMO, should break out into distinct subsections rather than having a huge thread with numerous posts on different sections.

That's not a very good structure.

A naming scheme should be developed for each thread. For example:

Part One, Chapt. One - The Profession of Faith - Man's Capacity For God

Next thread:

Chapter Two, Article One - The Revelation of God

Next thread:

Chapter Two, Article Two - The Transmission of Divine Revelation

...and so on.

Each section is given a week of participation. After the week is over, the thread starter must post the summary (provided at the end of each section in the CCC) or summarize it theirselves. The thread could be either closed or left open.

Each section, however, can last longer than a week, should there be a lot of discussion on it.

Upvote 0

GinooKo

Feb 26, 2004
Colorado
✟9,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am currently taking a three year program of Cathechism at Maryvale Institute, Birmingham, England. The Cathechism is studied over six periods during the three years. The six course units are:

Unit 1. Faith and Revelation; The Creed: God the Father
Unit 2. The Creed: God the Son, God the Holy Spirit
Unit 3. LIturgy and the Sacraments
Unit 4. Introduction to Morality
Unit 5. The Ten Commandments
Unit 6. Prayer

Each unit has an outline for Daily Study. For example.

Week 1
Day 1 Apostolic Constitution "Fidei Depositum" and Prologue
Day 2 The LIfe of Man - to know and to love God
Day 3 Handing on the Faith: Cathechesis
Day 4 The Purpose, Intended Audience, and Structure of the Cathechism
Day 5 Practical Indications and Necessary Adaptions.

At the end of each week, there's a section of "TO DO". For example. Go through Fidei Depositum and mark the passages which talk about the need to guard the deposit of faith. Then mark the passages which stresses the need to communicate the Gospel to others and the need to present the Gospel in a new way in our own age. What is the connection between "conserving" the Church doctrine and presenting it effectively.

I would be glad to share my study guide with you.

In Christ,
Lanie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
okay this is what i'm proposing and what i'm getting ready to do ;)

the original thread we had started about this will be split into a seperate thread per section of paragraphs. when we've finished commenting on the sections then a new thread would be started for the next section ( along with our commentary) that way any newbies happening along could see each and every section rather than get bogged down by one long huge thread. i'm in the process of splitting apart my original thread ;)

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
okay, this is my plan. since i started the original thread, what i'm gonna do is retitle it to say something like kimber's study or something like that. that way if someone else wants to start a different type of stud such as a theme based one or whatever we won't get it all confused. this is gonna take me awhile y'all so be patient with me. y'all know how slow us southernors are ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟27,206.00
Faith
Catholic
GinooKo said:
I am currently taking a three year program of Cathechism at Maryvale Institute, Birmingham, England. The Cathechism is studied over six periods during the three years. The six course units are:

Unit 1. Faith and Revelation; The Creed: God the Father
Unit 2. The Creed: God the Son, God the Holy Spirit
Unit 3. LIturgy and the Sacraments
Unit 4. Introduction to Morality
Unit 5. The Ten Commandments
Unit 6. Prayer

Each unit has an outline for Daily Study. For example.

Week 1
Day 1 Apostolic Constitution "Fidei Depositum" and Prologue
Day 2 The LIfe of Man - to know and to love God
Day 3 Handing on the Faith: Cathechesis
Day 4 The Purpose, Intended Audience, and Structure of the Cathechism
Day 5 Practical Indications and Necessary Adaptions.

At the end of each week, there's a section of "TO DO". For example. Go through Fidei Depositum and mark the passages which talk about the need to guard the deposit of faith. Then mark the passages which stresses the need to communicate the Gospel to others and the need to present the Gospel in a new way in our own age. What is the connection between "conserving" the Church doctrine and presenting it effectively.

I would be glad to share my study guide with you.

In Christ,
Lanie
Maryvale is is my Diocese and Fr. David asked me to contact him to arrange for me to do some kind of Marvale course...as it is i'm doing rather a lot of private study at the moment and also the course from the K of C - "We Believe".

Please tell me, is this an online long distance course that you are doing, because i know that a lot of courses at Maryvale request that you have days/weekends there about 4 times a year.

also, i don't mean to be cheeky, but is it expensive? I know my priest said that he could arrange something, but i don't like to use up resources like that, he's already provided myself and the children with a selection of reading/ course work material. also, at least one of our local priests is a tutor for Maryvale (and happens to teach at my daughter's high school too)

Thanks Lanie!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.