The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
And "limited communion" is meaningless. Either Churches are in communion or they are not. It is deceptive to state otherwise.

I don’t know how else to describe a scenario where Antiochians and Syriacs have full access to the sacraments at each other’s churches, are prohibited from converting, can be the godparents of children in either church (so an Antiochian can have Syriac Orthodox godparents), and where the churches have recognized each other’s legitimacy and laid down protocols for episcopal concelebration. It is Eucharistic communion which determines the status of ecumenical relations, and the only thing that as far as I know has not happened is concelebration, but since the laity can attend either church, and since both are recognized as legitimate according to the agreement, this means that as far as the laity is concerned, it is as if the Antiochian Orthodox and the Syriac Orthodox are in communion.

Now, whether or not this applies to Eastern Orthodoxy is a question of ecclesiology. According to the ecclesiology I see many Greek Orthodox using, the Antiochians are no longer Eastern Orthodox, if the principles of their ecclesiology are objectively applied. Certainly many Constantinopolitan Orthodox and members of the OCU have claimed the MP is no longer Eastern Orthodox, but the conditions that characterize the MP also apply to Antioch, to a still greater extent.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The best evidence that two Churches are not in communion is that they are not in communion. That is simple, too.

No, that’s a tautology, and tautological statements are tautological - by definition, they prove nothing, since a self-referential assertion is effectively meaningless, since it can be eliminated from a sentence without changing the semantic structure. The two terms of the tautology cancel each other out.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It is enough for me that their allegations against us were dealt with definitively (synodically) as early as 475 at the Third Council of Ephesus, with hundreds of bishops attending under the presidency of HH Pope St. Timothy II, who as the direct successor of our teacher St. Dioscorus can be fairly and accurately said to be a chief exponent of the authentic tradition of our Church regarding its dealings with the Chalcedonians (as they are not alone in having evolved a kind of canned response to what 'the other side' is doing or saying or reportedly doing or saying in the centuries following the schism; see, e.g., Maged S.A. Mikhail's From Byzantine to Islamic Egypt for the explosion of some of those developed myths, particularly with regard to the persistent Hellenistic element in indigenous Egyptian Christianity, which of course long predates any schism). At this council, Eutyches was anathematized by name, together with all who share in his error, and all who share in the errors of Chalcedon and the Tome it very unwisely and without true guidance accepted as orthodox.

That is a very interesting post, particularly since I was unaware of Ephesus III, so I will have to research that! So thank you for enduring this thread enough to articulate it.

For whatever reason, I consistently encounter the strongest anti-OO sentiments and pro-OO sentiments from the Greek churches, as either converts or ethnic Greeks.. Because on the one hand you have someone like Nicholas Marinides, who has written scores of cheap falsehoods about the OO, and on the other hand you have people like Metropolitan Kallistos Ware and especially Fr. John C. Romanides.

And then you have schismatic Old Calendarists whining about Fr. John being an ecumenist because he dared call the Oriental Orthodox by their name: Was Fr. John Romanides an Ecumenist? Yes!

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟25,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, that’s a tautology, and tautological statements are tautological - by definition, they prove nothing, since a self-referential assertion is effectively meaningless, since it can be eliminated from a sentence without changing the semantic structure. The two terms of the tautology cancel each other out.
The key word is evidence. There is no evidence that these churches are in communion with the EO. Therefore they are not in communion.
This should have been the one where I thought I could get agreement.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
This should have been the one where I thought I could get agreement.

I can never agree with a tautology. They contain no information. It’s literally a null-valued statement. It’s the equivalent if writing a computer program with a line such as if 1 == 1; return true; , in that it might compile, but it could literally be deleted without changing the semantics of the program. In like manner, tautologies can be deleted from arguments without changing their meaning. Especially the dreaded “it is what it is.”

The key word is evidence. There is no evidence that these churches are in communion with the EO. Therefore they are not in communion.

But the problem is that there is evidence, in the form of the 1991 agreement, that the Syriac Orthodox are in a state of limited intercommunion with the Antiochians, wherein the two churches recognize the legitimacy of each other’s doctrine and sacraments, have established protocols for episcopal concelebration, and will not even allow people to convert from one to the other under any circumstances, and that a similar arrangement exists between the Copts and Alexandrians.

Obviously these agreements are specific to these churches and do not extend to the entire Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox communion. The Ethiopians, for example, would never agree to such a relationship with an EO church, since powerful monasteries in their church maintain, incorrectly, that we are Nestorians, just as we have some people who continue to erroneously insist the Oriental Orthodox are Eutychian monophysites (although only one bishop outside of the Old Calendarists that I am aware of holds to that view, that being the very controversial Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus).

At any rate, I grow weary of discussing this, and I suggest we agree to disagree on this matter since neither of us seems likely to change our views on the matter, and I am not troubled by you having a difference of opinion on this issue.

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟25,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know how else to describe a scenario where Antiochians and Syriacs have full access to the sacraments at each other’s churches, are prohibited from converting, can be the godparents of children in either church (so an Antiochian can have Syriac Orthodox godparents), and where the churches have recognized each other’s legitimacy and laid down protocols for episcopal concelebration. It is Eucharistic communion which determines the status of ecumenical relations, and the only thing that as far as I know has not happened is concelebration, but since the laity can attend either church, and since both are recognized as legitimate according to the agreement, this means that as far as the laity is concerned, it is as if the Antiochian Orthodox and the Syriac Orthodox are in communion.

Now, whether or not this applies to Eastern Orthodoxy is a question of ecclesiology. According to the ecclesiology I see many Greek Orthodox using, the Antiochians are no longer Eastern Orthodox, if the principles of their ecclesiology are objectively applied. Certainly many Constantinopolitan Orthodox and members of the OCU have claimed the MP is no longer Eastern Orthodox, but the conditions that characterize the MP also apply to Antioch, to a still greater extent.
Your first statement is clearly not true. I have copied the 4 provisions of the letter agreement below. There is no "...full access to the sacraments...." 6. applies only if there are both bishops present for a funeral, baptism, or matrimony, and merely says who presides. 7. prohibits mixed bishops concelebrating Divine Liturgy, while 8. extends that to priests.

The tricky one is 9. where a priest from one can celebrate services including Divine Liturgy and matrimony, for the other, if there is no priest of the other. I have some questions, but clearly yes there is literally communion between them. I still relate this as an accommodation between two churches in a hostile land. If there is a requirement that there is a church building - a physical church - with no priest, but with a community, that is even more support that this is an accommodation.

I do not know what happens in practice, but the letter is written so as to bar "...the laity can attend either church (meaning for communion)...". The letter gives only one situation where that is allowed.

Letter provisions:
6. If bishops of the two Churches participate at a holy baptism or funeral service, the one belonging to the Church of the baptized or deceased will preside. In case of a holy matrimony service, the bishop of the bridegroom's Church will preside.
7. The above mentioned is not applicable to the concelebration in the Divine Liturgy.
8. What applies to bishops equally applies to the priests of both Churches.
9. In localities where there is only one priest, from either Church, he will celebrate services for the faithful of both Churches, including the Divine Liturgy, pastoral duties, and holy matrimony. He will keep an independent record for each Church and transmit that of the sister Church to its authorities.

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟25,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can never agree with a tautology. They contain no information. It’s literally a null-valued statement. It’s the equivalent if writing a computer program with a line such as if 1 == 1; return true; , in that it might compile, but it could literally be deleted without changing the semantics of the program. In like manner, tautologies can be deleted from arguments without changing their meaning. Especially the dreaded “it is what it is.”

But the problem is that there is evidence, in the form of the 1991 agreement, that the Syriac Orthodox are in a state of limited intercommunion with the Antiochians, wherein the two churches recognize the legitimacy of each other’s doctrine and sacraments, have established protocols for episcopal concelebration, and will not even allow people to convert from one to the other under any circumstances, and that a similar arrangement exists between the Copts and Alexandrians.

Obviously these agreements are specific to these churches and do not extend to the entire Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox communion. The Ethiopians, for example, would never agree to such a relationship with an EO church, since powerful monasteries in their church maintain, incorrectly, that we are Nestorians, just as we have some people who continue to erroneously insist the Oriental Orthodox are Eutychian monophysites (although only one bishop outside of the Old Calendarists that I am aware of holds to that view, that being the very controversial Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus).

At any rate, I grow weary of discussing this, and I suggest we agree to disagree on this matter since neither of us seems likely to change our views on the matter, and I am not troubled by you having a difference of opinion on this issue.
We agree to disagree. I pursued this because I've seen 'some' (cannot say 'many') who want to portray that EO and certain OO (and others of long tenure not identifying as OO) are closer than they are, or by clever wording or omission, leave the impression that they are in communion.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Unfortunately I can’t agree to disagree yet, since after I posted that, you posted a reply with inaccuracies which unfortunately must be addressed, but I will give you a bit of time before replying; specifically, you made a claim about the articles which is completely bogus, and I am concerned that you would make such a claim, because the agreement does not say what you claim it says; I am not accusing you of intentional dishonesty, by any means, but rather I feel you have inadvertently misread the articles, and should objectively reread them.

We agree to disagree. I pursued this because I've seen 'some' (cannot say 'many') who want to portray that EO and certain OO (and others of long tenure not identifying as OO) are closer than they are, or by clever wording or omission, leave the impression that they are in communion.

I don’t think that’s the case. But many people have advocated for full reunion, including Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal.

Also I have never claimed that the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are in a general state of full communion. The agreement we are debating is specific to the Antiochian and Syriac Orthodox churches and only applies to them, and does not even apply to the autonomous Antiochian Orthodox Church in North America.

A similar agreement exists between the Alexandrian Greeks and the Coptic Orthodox, but I do not have the text of that agreement.

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟25,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately I can’t agree to disagree yet, since after I posted that, you posted a reply with inaccuracies which unfortunately must be addressed, but I will give you a bit of time before replying; specifically, you made a claim about the articles which is completely bogus, and I am concerned that you would make such a claim, because the agreement does not say what you claim it says; I am not accusing you of intentional dishonesty, by any means, but rather I feel you have inadvertently misread the articles, and should objectively reread them.

I don’t think that’s the case. But many people have advocated for full reunion, including Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal.

Also I have never claimed that the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are in a general state of full communion. The agreement we are debating is specific to the Antiochian and Syriac Orthodox churches and only applies to them, and does not even apply to the autonomous Antiochian Orthodox Church in North America.

A similar agreement exists between the Alexandrian Greeks and the Coptic Orthodox, but I do not have the text of that agreement.
I stand by what I said, both the latest and earlier. In part you are objecting now on precisely what you said we should agree to disagree on.
On the other part, just above, you imply that the "...specific to the Antiochian and Syriac Orthodox churches and only applies to them..." after speaking of full communion. Those churches are NOT in full communion. It is clearly a limited accommodation only. Can we agree to disagree on that?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
In part you are objecting now on precisely what you said we should agree to disagree on.

Well, this is ironic, insofar as it seems we have a disagreement as to what subjects we had agreed to disagree about.

At any rate. I had proposed, or thought I had proposed, in my mind, that we should agree to disagree in general and end this entire debate, since it is obvious that our positions cannot be reconciled.

This is especially true insofar as I believe the Oriental Orthodox are as Orthodox as we Eastern Orthodox are, perhaps more so, and if anyone has to make concessions to restore communion with them, it should probably be us due to the violent persecution that they were subjected to by the Byzantine Empire, especially under Justinian, and obviously you take a different view. Since we can tell from what my pious friend @dzheremi wrote that they are wary of us, perhaps in the same way we are wary of even considering offers for reunification sent by the Melkite Greek Catholics, since we do not want to wake up and discover the Pope is now in charge (which happened to some Eastern Orthodoxw about 670 years ago due to the formation of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth). And based on that, I can understand why some Oriental Orthodox might be concerned that we might force them to venerate Pope Leo or Emperor Justinian.

But the situation with the Antiochian Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox is that both churches recognized each other as equally valid, and even went so far as to prohibit conversions between the two churches, which is something that can only be morally justified if each church believes the other church is an equally viable as a path to salvation.

My position has always been that specifically the Syriac Orthodox Church and the Antiochian Orthodox Church are in a state of limited intercommunion, although from a pan-Orthodox perspective, the fact that such relations were entered into, and a similar ecumenical relationship was entered into between the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria and its Alexandrian Greek counterpart, is obviously a step in the right direction for EO-OO relations as a whole; also the numerous memorial liturgies served in Eastern Orthodox churches for the victims of the Armenian genocide, with Coptic bishops entire, was a very good act and also a move in the right direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟25,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's agree to disagree on THIS, please.

That is what I sought to agree to disagree on, and that is acceptable.

Although I do feel obliged to make a post correcting certain inaccurate statements about the agreement itself which I believe resulted from a misreading of it on your part. However, I believe that clarifying certain details about the ecumenical agreement can be done without debating the issue of what kind of relationship the Syriac Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are in; my goal rather is simply to clarify what the agreement says without saying how it should be interpreted.

However, you raised another issue which I cannot possibly agree to disagree with you on, as it is much more important than the rest:

EO doesn't seek to convert any other confession.

I don’t think you understand. Under no circumstances does the current ecumenical agreement allow a Syriac Orthodox Christian to join the Antiochian Orthodox Churcj, or vice versa. It is not allowed under the 1991 agreement. Instead, Syriac Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox are allowed to worship and receive the sacraments in each other’s churches as much as they need.

Furthermore, it is not true that the Eastern Orthodox do not seek to convert any other confession. Indeed, we venerate as Equal to the Apostles a number of people, specifically because they converted entire nations to Christ, St. Gregory the Illuminator of the Armenians, St. Nino the Evangelist of Georgia, and St. Vladimir the Great, the Evangelist of the Kievan Rus people, a Slavic tribe that partially intermarried with Swedish Vikings (who also provided the Varangian Guards, who protected the Emperor at the Bucoleon Palace in Constantinople* and while travelling) and who were also the literal ancestors of the Russians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, and the Rusyn peoples such as the Carpatho-Rusyns and Lemkos, and also the spiritual ancestors of the Native Alaskans, Chinese, Japanese and other ethnicities converted to Orthodox Christianity in the second millenium. And likewise we also praise the Holy Apostles for the nations they converted: St. Paul, who evangelized the gentiles of the Western Empire, and St. Peter, the first Patriarch of Antioch, who supervised St. Paul and converted Jews in the same areas, before reaching Rome and setting up the Church there with St. Paul, before the two were executed by the mad emperor Nero. And St. Peter’s protege, St. Mark the Evangelist, owner of the house with the Cenacle, was sent to Alexandria to establish the Church in Egypt, which he did, before himself being martyred. Then we have Andrew the First Called, who evangelized Byzantion and various populations along the shore of the Black Sea, generally having travelled Northwest from Antioch, who was crucified on an X shaped cross, for the same reason St. Peter insisted on being crucified inverted, because they did not feel worthy to be crucified in the same position as our Lord (whereas St. Paul, as a Roman citizen, was beheaded; the reason why the basillica built on the site of his martyrdom is called St. Paul outside the Walls is if I recall related both to the location of the Circus Maximus, and the fact that weapons were not allowed through the inner walls surrounding the center of Rome, the Pomerium, which in Roman Paganism was regarded as a sacred domain in which weapons were not allowed unless wielded by Praetorian Guards; this was terribly inconvenient and thus the Roman Senate had a second Curia built outside the Pomerium in addition to their Curia on the Capitoline Hill). And we have St. Bartholomew who was skinned while preaching to the Armenians, and St. Thomas the Apostle, who travelled East from Antioch with his disciples Saints Addai and Mari, converting Jews and Gentiles on the trade route to India, and thus establishing churches in Edessa, Nineveh, Seleucia-Cstesiphon and Kerala, home to the Kochin Jews who settled there to engage in commerce shortly after Alexander the Great opened up trade routes to the Malabar Coast. And it was in Kerala where an enraged Maharajah gave St. Thomas the Apostle a crown of martyrdom by throwing a javelin at him. And likewise, the other Holy Apostles also converted many other Pagans and Jews to Christ, and all were martyred except for St. John the Beloved Disciple and Theologian.

And in the fourth century, St. Athanasius the Great, rather than ignoring the rival confession of Arianism, worked under his mentor, Pope Alexander of Alexandria, to eradicate it; as protodeacon to St. Alexander, he defended the anathema against Arius at the Council of Nicaea, and procured an anathema against Arianism as a whole, and was instrumental in the formulation of the first edition of the Nicene Creed. Later, after the sinister Arian bishop Eusebius of Nicomedia through politics persuaded the ageing and ailing St. Constantine, who we venerate for legalizing Christianity and causing the conversion of many Romans to Christianity, to have St. Athanasius exiled on a false accusation of murder, to Nicaea, on the opposite end of the Emperor, a perilous journey that St. Athanasius later survived only through the grace of God, and from which he returned when evidence surfaced that exonerated him, but then unfortunately after St. Constantine reposed in the Lord, his son, Constantius, was converted to Arianism by Eusebius, and promptly exiled St. Athanasius again, and in the 340s-350s AD, St. Athanasius fought “contra mundum”, against the world, to re-establish Christianity and eradicate Arianism, during a period of time when, through Imperial support, Arianism had the upper hand, but through divine assistance and his own endurance, St. Athanasius made progress, aided by allies such as St. Ephrem the Syrian, the “Harp of the Spirit”, who composed hymns and metrical homilies to promote Christianity (for Arianism, going back to Arius, had made a major effort to propagate songs promoting its central anti-Christian premise that Jesus Christ was a created being, of a different essence than the Father, the Son of God, but not the co-eternal and co-equal person of the Holy Trinity who put on our humanity in order to restore and glorify it through His incarnation.

Pope St. Athanasius returned to Alexandria, and the Arian bishop was deposed, during the reign of Emperor Julian “the Apostate”, who was a neo-Platonist (his nickname amuses me, because considering his immediate predecessors were militant Arians who persecuted Christians, rather than Nicene Orthodox Christians, converting from Arianism to neo-Platonism doesn’t seem like much of an act of apostasy). And we venerate St. Athanasius as the Pillar of Orthodoxy for his defense of the Christian faith against this heresy. Likewise, we venerate St. Ephrem the Syrian, St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, St. Gregory of Nyssa, and many others, for helping in the struggle, with the three Cappodacians also tackling the dreadful heresy of Pneumatomacchianism, which denied the personhood of God the Holy Spirit, regarding the Lord and Giver of Life as an impersonal force rather than as the third person of the Trinity, coequal and coeternal with the Father, from whom He proceeds, and the Son, who he conceived in the womb of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Who sent Him on Pentecost Sunday to descend upon the Twelve Apostles in the Cenacle at the Third Hour, the same time most regular Christian church services begin, aside from Vespers and feasts such as Pascha which are celebrated at midnight, and also liturgies in some monasteries, to act as our Comforter and Paraclete.

And in modern times, we continue to venerate those who convert people to Holy Orthodoxy, even from other Nicene Christian churches that we have good ecumenical relations with. For example, we venerate St. Alexis Toth for bringing to the Orthodox Church the Ruthenian Greek Catholics who had arrived in North America, only to be informed by the Latin Rite bishops that their married priests would have to divorce their wives, which would have caused horrible hardship for many pious Christian families, and these converts, primarily Carpatho-Rusyns, Lemkos, Byelorussians and Western Ukrainians, made a major contribution to the Eastern Orthodox church in North America, and form a substantial portion of the membership of the OCA, ROCOR, the Patriarchal Parishes, the UOCNA, and even the Antiochian Orthodox churches, and also comprise the entirety of the American Carpatho Rusyn Orthodox Diocese (aside from the bishop, who is Greek, oddly enough, considering the UOCNA, which was also established by Patriarch of Constantinople) and indeed, they are so numerous in parts of Pennsylvania that the city of Wilkes-Barre and surrounding townships are now known as “Fourth Rome.”

Indeed, the instruction to convert people from other confessions to Orthodoxy is in the Great Commission in Matthew 28:19. And a major reason for engaging in ecumenical reconciliation is to facilitate such conversions; the Roman Catholics using a similiar approach, by sending missionaries to work with disenfranchised leaders of minorities within the ethnic groups of different Orthodox churches, managed to set up an Eastern Catholic church that corresponds with every single autocephalous Eastern Orthodox Church, as well as several of the more important autonomous churches.

However, Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, memory eternal, while stating that proselytism and spreading Orthodox are legitimate activities, did say that he regarded negative proselytism as extremely unorthodox. Examples of negative proselytism include the Jack Chick tracts attacking Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, and other types of aggressive polemics, intended to make people doubt the faith in which they were raised, and the Orthodox Church has instead focused on showing people the Truth, and indeed in several cases, for example, the Western Rite Orthodox communities, has done so in a manner that accommodates the existing liturgical traditions of the people.

So I must say I disagree with you on your claim that Orthodoxy does not seek to convert members of other confessions much more than I disagree with you on the somewhat obscure and technical issue, specific to Middle Eastern Christianity, of the exact nature of the relationship between the Antiochian Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox.

*The Bucoleon was located on part of the grounds occupied by the much more extravagant Topkapi Palace built by the decadent hypocritical Ottoman Sultans to house themselves, their wives and concubines, as well as to serve as a prison for their brothers, since under Turkocratia, rather than the King writing about loving one’s brother, and how it was good for the brethren to dwell together in brotherly love, the brothers of the Sultan were threats to the Sultan’s power, who had to be imprisoned in the Emperor’s own palace, so that his Janissary guards, comprised of the firstborn sons of Christians, could kill them immediately if the emperor or his mother, the Valide Sultan, decided that one of them posed a risk to the rule of her preferred son.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟488,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Your first statement is clearly not true. I have copied the 4 provisions of the letter agreement below. There is no "...full access to the sacraments...." 6. applies only if there are both bishops present for a funeral, baptism, or matrimony, and merely says who presides. 7. prohibits mixed bishops concelebrating Divine Liturgy, while 8. extends that to priests.

The tricky one is 9. where a priest from one can celebrate services including Divine Liturgy and matrimony, for the other, if there is no priest of the other. I have some questions, but clearly yes there is literally communion between them. I still relate this as an accommodation between two churches in a hostile land. If there is a requirement that there is a church building - a physical church - with no priest, but with a community, that is even more support that this is an accommodation.

I do not know what happens in practice, but the letter is written so as to bar "...the laity can attend either church (meaning for communion)...". The letter gives only one situation where that is allowed.

Letter provisions:
6. If bishops of the two Churches participate at a holy baptism or funeral service, the one belonging to the Church of the baptized or deceased will preside. In case of a holy matrimony service, the bishop of the bridegroom's Church will preside.
7. The above mentioned is not applicable to the concelebration in the Divine Liturgy.
9. In localities where there is only one priest, from either Church, he will celebrate services for the faithful of both Churches, including the Divine Liturgy, pastoral duties, and holy matrimony. He will keep an independent record for each Church and transmit that of the sister Church to its authorities.

Let me first reiterate that in correcting the above, I am not seeking to continue the debate about whether or not the Syriac Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox are or are not in a state of limited inter-communion, with you, as I believe that you and I will never be able to agree on that. However, I do believe you have mischaracterized the agreement and what it allows and does not allow, based on a misreading. I will therefore post the numbered provisions and clarify these points, while having a different overall interpretation concerning what they mean in the aggregate for the two ancient Orthodox Patriarchates of Antioch:

Firstly, before we begin, it must be stressed that all provisions apply to each church, mutually. Nothing in the letter contradicts the idea that what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

Now, here are the numbered Articles of the Agreement:

1. We affirm the total and mutual respect of the spirituality, heritage and Holy Fathers of both Churches. The integrity of both the Byzantine and Syriac liturgies is to be preserved.
  2. The heritage of the Fathers in both Churches and their traditions as a whole should be integrated into Christian education curricula and theological studies. Exchanges of professors and students are to be enhanced.
  3. Both Churches shall refrain from accepting any faithful from accepting any faithful from one Church into the membership of the other, irrespective of all motivations or reasons.
  4. Meetings between the two Churches, at the level of their Synods, according to the will of the two Churches, will be held whenever the need arises.
  5. Every Church will remain the reference and authority for its faithful, pertaining to matters of personal status (marriage, divorce, adoption, etc.).
  10. If two priests of the two Churches happen to be in a locality where there is only one Church, they take turns in making use of its facilities.
  11. If a bishop from one Church and a priest from the sister Church happen to concelebrate a service, the first will preside even when it is the priest's parish.
  12. Ordinations into the holy orders are performed by the authorities of each Church for its own members. It would be advisable to invite the faithful of the sister Church to attend.
  13. Godfathers, godmothers (in baptism) and witnesses in holy matrimony can be chosen from the members of the sister Church.
  14. Both Churches will exchange visits and will co-operate in the various areas of social, cultural and educational work.
    We ask God's help to continue strengthening our relations with the sister Church, and with other Churches, so that we all become one community under one Shepherd.

Firstly, the argument that concelebration is prohibited is not supported by the text. Article 7 does not prohibit concelebration between bishops of either churches, it merely clarifies that whereas Article 6 requires that in Baptisms and Funerals concelebrated by bishops of both churches will have the bishop from the church whose member is being baptized or who has reposed preside, no such restriction exists on concelebrations of the Divine Liturgy.

Article 11 furthermore allows a bishop from one church to concelebrate with a priest from another, the bishop will preside over the service. This proceeds bishops “presiding from the throne” as inactive participants, but rather requires that the bishop personally lead the worship, rather than the priest, even if it is in the parish of that priest.

Article 10 ensures that if a priest from each church is available and the two can share a church, the liturgy will still be celebrated according to both liturgical rites; this is in accord with the preface and also Article 1, since it was specifically the goal of this agreement was “All this has called upon our Holy Synod of Antioch to bear witness to the progress of our Church in the See of Antioch towards unity that preserves for each Church its authentic Oriental heritage whereby the one Antiochian Church benefits from its sister Church and is enriched in its traditions, literature and holy rituals.” Obviously, this would not happen if churches did not celebrate both the Byzantine Rite and the West Syriac RIte liturgies when they had the resources, in the form of priests from each church, to do so. It would be a disaster if in such a case, the clergy decided to only celebrate one rite or the other, perhaps because one of the priests was elderly, or one of the congregations was larger, indeed, without this rule it seems likely that parishes in Lebanon and Syria would tend to be dominated by the Byzantine Rite, while those in Turkey and Iraq would be dominated by the West Syriac Rite. And that would be unfortunate. Specifically, Damascus, Beirut and Latakia would likely become Byzantine Rite cities, and Tikrit, Mosul and Baghdad would become West Syriac Rite cities.

Article 9 on the other hand ensures that when only one priest is available, that he is able to serve the faithful from both churches, in whatever rite he has been trained in. And this has doubtless been of substantial benefit, particularly for Antiochian Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox traveling in areas where one church has little or no presence. For example, Syrian, Lebanese and Turkish expats working in parts of Iraq where the dominant Christian churches are the Syriac Orthodox, Assyrian Church of the East and Chaldean Catholic, would still have full access to the sacraments. And likewise, Syrians traveling in parts of Lebanon and Syria, for example, Maaloula, where there are only Antiochian Orthodox churches, would still have full access to the sacraments.* But it does not contain any language that would prohibit the faithful of either church from receiving the sacraments from either church elsewhere.

Finally, there is no provision prohibiting members of either church from receiving sacraments at the parish of another, insofar as articles 1, 2 and 3 recognize each church as fully valid and legitimate, require that the heritage of each church and their respective Fathers and history be integrated into the educational programs of both churches, so an Antiochian will learn about Syriac Orthodox fathers and vice versa, and under Article 3, conversions between the churches are prohibited, and furthermore, article 13 allows members from either church to serve as godparents, or as witnesses at marriages.

Article 9 merely requires that priests in localities where their church is the only one serve members of both churches and maintain independent records (perhaps AOCNA priests were reticent about having to deal with this, and combined with a fear of backlash from other churches in North America, and the risk of this interfering with efforts to resolve the problem of multiple overlapping jurisdictions, this is why AOCNA apparently, at least according to some sources, does not participate in this agreement, but as an autonomous church, it would be a violation of its autonomy to force it into doing so.

The same principle of autonomy is what allows the Church of Sinai, an autonomous church under the Patriarch of Jerusalem, to allow Coptic Orthodox pilgrims to partake of the Eucharist at that important holy site, which is something that within the tense atmosphere of rivalry between the Greek, Armenian and Latin groups that control jointly several places of pilgrimage in the Holy Land, such as the Holy Sepulchre, according to the sometimes absurd strictures of the Muslim-imposed Status Quo Agreement, which features such spectacles as the legendary “immovable ladder”, would unfortunately be impossible for the time being (indeed even in the event of EO-OO reunion, it might not be possible to fully implement this reunion at the Holy Sepulchre due to the Status Quo agreement due to various issues of church politics).

Now, to reiterate, none of this seeks to challenge your views about the relationship between the two churches, on which we agree to disagree. Rather, I am seeking to address what I believe was a misinterpretation of the effect of the numbered articles of the Ecumenical Agreement on your part. I should note I also disagree with a view I seem to recall you expressing at one point, that the provisions expressed in the non-numbered paragraphs are not relevant to the meaning of the article.

*To use a secular example, It’s a bit like the code-sharing agreements between major airlines, for example, between American Airlines, British Airways, Qantas, and Alaska Airlines, or between Air Canada, United Air Lines, Lufthansa, and Air New Zealand, or between Delta, Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic, that allow passengers to seamlessly travel between destinations on each airline’s network. Or in prior decades, the through-train services such as the California Zephyr, which connected Chicago to San Francisco via the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy, the Denver and Rio Grande Western and the Western Pacific, or the City of Los Angeles, which connected Los Angeles to Chicago via the Southern Pacific, Union Pacific and the Chicago & Northwestern Rwy.

Upvote 0