Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The following article suggests the 1689 is more thoroughly supra, I've asked around but the more I think about it considering the views of the Particular Baptists of the time, I think I would agree.

In contrast, the 1689 Confession seems to advocate a far more definite stance on the lapsarian position. Firstly, in the 1689 Confession, the distinction between ‘predestination’ and ‘foreordination’ is collapsed. The revised section in 3.3 was changed to read, “By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory some men and Angels are predestinated, or fore-ordained to Eternal Life.”35 Furthermore, in chapter 3.6, the addition of a comma36 before the phrase “being fallen in Adam” is far more suggestive of a reading which alludes to the temporal ordo salutis rather than the order of decrees sub specie aeternitatis. Following this reading, “the words, ‘being fallen in Adam’, do not imply that the elect when elected were contemplated as fallen in Adam. The words simply state an historical fact which explains the necessity of redemption by Christ and the other phases of salvation.” These two modifications of the Westminster Confession undoubtedly demonstrate the Baptist’s desire to subscribe to a supralapsarian understanding of the ordo decretorum. However, this definite stance on the lapsarian position does not necessarily call into question the Baptists’ use of the Westminster document. If the Westminster document is careful to avoid language which excludes one or other lapsarian position, then it clearly treats a specific lapsarian position as immaterial to the more immediate task of creating a Confession of Faith. That the Baptist Confession chooses to promote a supralapsarian ordo decretorum does not oppose the Westminster document, but rather elucidates the Westminster Confession so as to give it a more definite interpretation.

http://www.sicliff.co.uk/jon/1689.pdf

What do you folks think?

jm

beloved57

Jun 16, 2006
✟4,663.00
Faith
Calvinist
Following this reading, “the words, ‘being fallen in Adam’, do not imply that the elect when elected were contemplated as fallen in Adam.

The first consideration of the elect were chosen in christ, they subsequently in being created in adam their natural head fell however they were preserved by virtue of being chosen in the spiritual adam.

Upvote 0

larryjf

Dec 28, 2004
Boothwyn, PA
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm supra...
When considering the issue we must remember that it is a logical order and not a chronological order. Since the only order that we see spelled out in the Bible is the chronological order we must first find the relationship between chronological and logical order.

We can observe in our lives that chronological order is the inverse of logical order...

I pick up my keys, go to my car, drive to the store, get a gallon of milk.

Logically the order was "i have to get a gallon of milk" and then my mind worked its way back to the picking up my keys.

Upvote 0