Farmington
✟32,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
15 Verses on being perfect. I write these because I've heard too many say "Nobody is perfect" and such like; often as an excuse used to excuse some sin. But these verses alone make clear the Holy Scriptures, the very Word of God does call us to be perfect.

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." - Matthew 5:48.
Jesus own words here use the Greek teleios, meaning brought to its end, finished, wanting nothing necessary to completeness, that which is perfect, consummate human integrity and virtue, of full age, mature*

"And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect." - Genesis 17:1. Hebrew tamim, means complete, whole, entire, wholesome, unimpaired, innocent, having integrity morally.

"That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." - 2 Timothy 3:17. Greek artios, fitted, complete, perfect, having special aptitude for specific uses.

" Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." - Hebrews 13:21. Greek katartizo, to render sound, complete, mend, repair, ethically to strengthen, perfect, complete, make one what he ought to be

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. - Job 1:1. Hebrews, tam, perfect, complete, morally innocent, having integrity, morally and ethically pure.

I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. - Psalm 101:2. Hebrew, tamim & tom, meaning integrity, completeness, fullness, innocence.

Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.. - Philippians 3:15 Greek teleios*

The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master. - Luke 6:40. Greek katartizo

Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. - 2 Corinthians 13:11. Greek, katartizo

Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. - Colossians 1:28. Greek, teleios

Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.. - Colossians 4:12. Greek, teleios

But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing - James 1:4. Greek teleios

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ - Ephesians 4:13. Greek, Greek, teleios

For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. - James 3:2 Greek, teleios

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. - John 17:23. Greek Teleioo, to make perfect, complete, accomplish, bring to an end, render a thing full.

• note: Teleios is also used in 1 Corinthains 13:10, " But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away" and James 1:17, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning"
  • In these verses it definitely implies the perfect perfection as it is speaking of Jesus and the gifts from the Father.

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟32,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
These verses are talking about blamelessness I think. We are called to be blameless. No one can be as perfectly holy as Christ was.

Blameless would also apply here. But Jesus does call us to Christian perfection. Is it sinless? No, but close. Christ is the only one who has ever walked this earth completely sinless. Anyone who is saved has their sin past, and indwelling sin nature. Sanctification doesn't kill the sin nature and that's why we have to daily crucify, mortify, and put to death the flesh, and deny ourselves.
Perfection also does not free us from things like illness, feeling down, or any form of infirmity, but it will help us get through them better. Paul spoke of being made strong in weakness.

He also admitted to having not yet attained perfection, but he strove for it, and this is the full passage prior to one of the verses I shared above:

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. (The perfect here is teleioo: to make perfect, complete, accomplish, bring to an end, render a thing full)

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. (This perfect is teleios: brought to its end, finished, wanting nothing necessary to completeness, that which is perfect, consummate human integrity and virtue, of full age, mature)

What Paul is saying is though he has not yet attained, he continues to press toward the mark. That means he takes aim at the goal, or mark, for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus, and he is reaching forth, not looking back because he is forgetting those things that are behind. Did he attain by the time he was martyred? Scripture doesn't say. But there are approximately 10 years between his letter to the Philippians and when he wrote 2 Timothy & Titus which were some of his last letters. And tradition says he was martyred around 67 AD.

• Informative
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0