WI
✟144,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Sometimes, we may feel like straying from the path, whether at home or at work. So, here are three passages from the Bible that can help us remember that God commanded us to listen to those in authority, as well as a Star Trek analogy. The scripture analysis is below the video player.

Analogy Background: Star Trek DS9 Scene - Worf, a Klingon's Insubordination

Date
May 16, 2024 | Preventing our Insubordination​
Verse
Ephesians 6:1-3 (NIV): "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honor your father and mother’—which is the first commandment with a promise— ‘so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’"

Hebrews 13:17 (NIV): "Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you."

Titus 3:1-2 (NIV): "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone."​
Explanation
The three passages from the Bible you provided all relate to the importance of obedience and submission to authority figures. Let's break down each passage:
Ephesians 6:1-3: This passage is addressed to children and encourages them to obey their parents in the Lord. The reason given is that this is the first commandment with a promise, meaning that by obeying their parents, children can enjoy a long and prosperous life. This passage highlights the importance of respecting and honoring those who have raised and nurtured us.

Hebrews 13:17: This passage calls on believers to submit to their leaders and those in authority, as they are responsible for watching over the community and giving an account of their actions. By obeying and respecting those in authority, their work becomes a joy rather than a burden, which ultimately benefits the community.

Titus 3:1-2: This passage instructs Titus to remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, and to be obedient and ready to do what is good. This passage emphasizes the importance of maintaining peace, consideration, and gentleness towards everyone, including those in positions of authority.

Now, let's explore the Star Trek DS9 analogy. In this scenario from the episode titled "Son's of Mogh", Worf's desire to follow Klingon culture and kill his brother out of honor conflicts with Starfleet regulations, which prohibit insubordination. The Bible passages we've discussed can be seen as providing guidance for Worf to prioritize his duty to Starfleet and obedience to his commander over his personal desires or cultural traditions. In other words, just as Worf must put his loyalty to Starfleet and its regulations above his honor code, the Bible emphasizes the importance of obedience and submission to those in authority, even if it means doing things that we may not enjoy or agree with.​
Societal Relevance
Finally, in the modern world, as Christians, we can avoid disobedience to our managers at workplaces by striving to maintain a positive attitude, focusing on the good that can come from following rules and guidelines, and practicing patience and understanding. Here are some helpful tips for remaining obedient:
  1. Reflect on the reasons for the rules and regulations in place, and consider how they contribute to the greater good.
  2. Cultivate a positive attitude, focusing on the benefits of following the rules rather than dwelling on any potential negatives.
  3. Practice active listening and open communication with your manager, expressing any concerns or questions you may have in a respectful and considerate manner.
  4. Seek to understand your manager's perspective and motivations, and try to see things from their point of view.
  5. Pray for guidance and wisdom in navigating workplace challenges and maintaining obedience, and trust that God has a plan for your professional growth and development.
On May 14, 2024, I had a mild disagreement about what tasks I wanted to do in the future at my employer. Instead of sending an email stating by June 1st, 2024 that switching gears would take place, a different approach would have worked much better. An open communication, to form a dialogue such as asking a question would have worked better. Luckily, my manager and I had the conversation, and we used the analogy of vegetables: Some people may not like eating cauliflower and skip straight to dessert. However, we must consume the vegetables first, showing how we must do stuff that we may not enjoy first, and then we may do tasks we prefer. So, that moment a few days ago was a Hebrews and Titus style learning experience. I am blessed to have a manager that helps me with my communication skills.