Can anyone explain how the moth got it's owl eyes?

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟933,186.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I like the lactose intolerant argument.

God made Adam perfect.

But through loss of genetic information, some people are lactose intolerant now.
That's an example... but it isn't consistent with the evidence... it also doesn't have a method of measuring genetic information in the Creationist context.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a evo is someone who entertains a creo.
My dumb self thought it was olive oil.

I’m to old for abbreviations and slang, apparently.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Natural selection is a process. It modifies physical biological organisms.

So?

Analogies are often a poor way to explain things. I'm not sure what you think your point is.
At least you now admit that physical random mutations are 100% luck. The luck that drives your fantasy. Like all the sequential mutations that create an eyeball that integrates w the brain, detailed owls eyes on both wings etc
You take for granted that all the mutations that created a complex mammal “just happened “
Whimsical!!!!!

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
At least you now admit that physical random mutations are 100% luck.
The ones that happen, yes, they are random. That's just the start. No one had denied this at any point in this discussion, nor has anyone denied that in evolutionary biology in the last 100 years.
The luck that drives your fantasy. Like all the sequential mutations that create an eyeball that integrates w the brain, detailed owls eyes on both wings etc
Seeing stuff is useful to survival. Any mutation that makes it easier to see stuff is useful and kept by selection.
You take for granted that all the mutations that created a complex mammal “just happened “
Whimsical!!!!!
It took millions of years and generations. Nothing "just happened."

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My dumb self thought it was olive oil.

I’m to old for abbreviations and slang, apparently.
I was pretty sure he was using the term as I expected, I just wanted him to say he was using a slang term to slag on me. I would have also rejected his description of me as an "evolutionist". I am not. I am a physicist. I do not study biology.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
At least you now admit that physical random mutations are 100% luck. The luck that drives your fantasy. Like all the sequential mutations that create an eyeball that integrates w the brain, detailed owls eyes on both wings etc
Whimsical!!!!!
That is quite an .achievement. You have forced us to admit that random mutations are random. Congratulations!

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is quite an .achievement. You have forced us to admit that random mutations are random. Congratulations!
While ignoring the gist of my post.
What about all the just right mutations that “just happened “?
Coincidence?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟361,398.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Right, and I am in the process of evolving wings, why? Because I need them just like the moth needed owls eyes

Are you in a position where wings would be beneficial to you? Since the answer is no (humans are a pretty well rounded species, I just wish I could hold my breath for that bit longer for swimming), then you're not going to evolve them.

The various species of owl butterflies and moths had problems with predation from birds and thus evolved their distinctive patterns to act as a warning and to give them time to flit away to safety. Those butterflies and moths that had the genetic mutation for the patterns already survived while those that didn't died, and thus the former had their mutations passed on.

Upvote 0

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you in a position where wings would be beneficial to you? Since the answer is no (humans are a pretty well rounded species, I just wish I could hold my breath for that bit longer for swimming), then you're not going to evolve them.

The various species of owl butterflies and moths had problems with predation from birds and thus evolved their distinctive patterns to act as a warning and to give them time to flit away to safety. Those butterflies and moths that had the genetic mutation for the patterns already survived while those that didn't died, and thus the former had their mutations passed on.
Yes wing’s would be beneficial to me for sure, I could fly and soar and save on gas. So watch out, I am going to start to evolve them!!!!
“Those butterflies and moths that had the genetic mutation for the patterns ……..”
They just luckily had them? Oh?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟361,398.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Yes wing’s would be beneficial to me for sure, I could fly and soar and save on gas. So watch out, I am going to start to evolve them!!!!

That is not how it works at all. You desire to save gas is not an environmental pressure on your biology. Wings won't grow through successive generations because of the desire to save money on petrol.

“Those butterflies and moths that had the genetic mutation for the patterns ……..”

Nothing lucky about it at all. Humans have a similar thing, called mosaicism. We just don't need it because as a species we don't need to camouflage passively or use our body passively as a threat display. We can do those things willingly.
The genetics for every change in the body is in the DNA of every being. It's just a matter of natural selection selecting for or against, dependent on environment. It's why seals, as an example, have flippers that are supported by exactly five sections of bones incredibly similar to a human's hand. They even have nails.

1714670505249.jpeg

(And cue snide and rude remark in 3... 2.. 1...)

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope, you misrepresented me
Thank you for confirming my point.

Clearly, you’re not here for a discussion, and that’s fine, but it also means that I have no need to engage with you any further. We all get you’d rather do this silly gaslighting nonsense than focus on the topic (and what you said) because you were caught out. Props to anybody who has the time to entertain those shenanigans, but I don’t.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟243,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
While ignoring the gist of my post.
What about all the just right mutations that “just happened “?
Coincidence?
And you are ignoring the millions of equally right mutations that never happened at all. With a different roll of the dice different species and different ecologies would have emerged. Organs to fulfill the same function might still have evolved, but the mechanisms they employed could have differed.
I fear you are letting your incredulity and your misguided belief that if evolution is true, your faith is mistaken, blind you to the reality of evolution.

Upvote 0

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wings would be beneficial to me, it’s not up to you to say
And yes, mutations are random and if you get all the mutations to create a masterpiece such as the eye, then it’s absolutely lucky.

Upvote 0

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And you are ignoring the millions of equally right mutations that never happened at all. With a different roll of the dice different species and different ecologies would have emerged. Organs to fulfill the same function might still have evolved, but the mechanisms they employed could have differed.
I fear you are letting your incredulity and your misguided belief that if evolution is true, your faith is mistaken, blind you to the reality of evolution.
There is not enough time in the universe’s existence for chance to create even one useful protein. I site Douglas Axe on his research.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟361,398.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Wings would be beneficial to me, it’s not up to you to say
And yes, mutations are random and if you get all the mutations to create a masterpiece such as the eye, then it’s absolutely lucky.

It's hilarious that you reblogged from yourself but not me. Real funny.

And you can say that wings would be beneficial to you until you're blue in the face, but humans don't need wings. Our transportation needs are met by our bipedalism and our ability to make vehicles to move us around. We have no biological imperative to evolve wings. Natural selection does not work the way you think it does.
Actually a lot of things don't work the way you think it does.

Upvote 0