• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Will unbelievers be resurrected with imperishable bodies?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟138,414.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1Co 15:
42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.
The imperishable bodies will be glorious and powerful. Paul was talking about believers.
54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
Death does not have power over the imperishable bodies.
Re 20:
13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
Unbelievers will be resurrected to some kind of perishable body to suffer the second death.
When Jesus returns, will the dead, believers and unbelievers, be resurrected and receive imperishable bodies?
Believers will be resurrected to imperishable bodies; unbelievers, to perishable ones.
See also Does the Bible teach conscious torment over an infinite period of time?

JesusFollowerForever

Devoted to Jesus
Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟35,220.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In your opinion, who will resurrect, the ones who believe in christ only, but to not follow his teachings or commandments? would they resurrect? I would like your opinion as you know scripture very well,

Blessings Tony.

• Love
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟25,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1Co 15:

The imperishable bodies will be glorious and powerful. Paul was talking about believers.

Re 20:

Unbelievers will be resurrected to some kind of perishable body to suffer the second death.
When Jesus returns, will the dead, believers and unbelievers, be resurrected and receive imperishable bodies?
Believers will be resurrected to imperishable bodies; unbelievers, to perishable ones.

I have always thought that eternal life will always depend on sustenance by God. I don't like the idea people having an "imperishable" body, i.e. apart from God.

If that is true, then both the righteous and the unrighteous could have the same kind of bodies. But I agree that doesn't seem to be what Paul is saying.

KT

• Agree
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟333,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1Co 15:

Re 20:

See also Does the Bible teach conscious torment over an infinite period of time?
The KJV indicates that our (believers) bodies will be immortal, but also "incorruptible". Those words mean similar things, but are not exactly the same. Incorruptible means sinless. We will not be able to sin or have any evil thoughts at that point. I think that is a better word to use in conjunction with "immortal" than "imperishable" because "imperishable" means the same thing as "immortal", which just means to never stop existing.

So, I think unbelievers who are resurrected will have immortal (eternally existing), but not incorruptible bodies.

I think scripture is pretty clear that unbelievers will experience eternal torment. Consider this passage:

Revelation 14:9 A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, 10 they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.” 12 This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.

While I believe that the references to "burning sulfur" and "the smoke of their torment" are figurative, I believe when it says "there will be no rest day or night" for them is meant to be taken literally. This can be a scary thing to think about. Disturbing even. People say we shouldn't try to scare people into the kingdom, but I say why not? Whatever it takes. The gospel is not just some feel good story that we should tell like a children's story. The gospel is about being saved from something and being offered eternal life instead. Saved from what? Eternal death (the second death). But, is death annihilation? Is physical death the annihilation of our bodies? Clearly not since all of the dead will be bodily resurrected. I don't believe the second death results in annihilation, either. No, it's eternal separation from the presence of God in a place figuratively called "the lake of fire".

2 Thess 1:9 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might.

If people think it is cruel and not fair for the lost to experience eternal torment, then do they think us inheriting eternal life is also not fair? It's not up to us to decide what is fair, it's up to God.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟333,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In your opinion, who will resurrect, the ones who believe in christ only, but to not follow his teachings or commandments? would they resurrect? I would like your opinion as you know scripture very well,

Blessings Tony.
John 5:28: “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

Upvote 0