• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Why should churches and church leaders be in politics?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,019,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Getty Images/KingWu
Getty Images/KingWu

In a previous column, I raised the question of whether churches should be involved in politics. My answer then still stands: Yes, but if churches go into the political arena they should go as churches, not as the religious wing of a political party or candidacy.

However, I must add that churches recognize another fact: It is not only possible that churches will be drawn into politics, but highly probable as the battle for the presidency in the USA gets hotter.

Here's why: Every political system and cause is based on a particular worldview, and worldviews enshrine sets of values. Values are set by whatever a political enterprise deems as transcendent to all other principles and worldviews.

Churches not only give rise to values that comprise worldviews that express and guide political enterprises, policies, and power holders, but the value system constitutes a "holy" authority for judging between political ideologies, campaigns and the style of governance once a particular candidate with his or her own beliefs if elected to office.

Thus Donald Trump tries to put together some form of transcendency in his campaign efforts, and Kamala Harris at some points seeks to display her transcendent values and the worldview that forms her political doctrines.

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: Vambram

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟614,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Christians are not involved in Politics, especially in a democracy, then non-Chiristians will rule over you. Your rights will be eliminated, and godlessness will be the norm. I have been involved in politics since Barry Goldwater days (early 60s). I was a delegate to the 1988 SC State Republican convention. The old saying is true: If you do not vote, you have no right to complain about how things are done. At this point, I am somewhat bound. I will never vote for a pro-abortion candidate, so that binds me to the Republicans. There are other issues also. I can't vote for pro-sodomy and trans candidates. These are also abominations in God's sight. So, our choices are dwindling quickly. Contribute to the process as well as you can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟118,452.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If Christians are not involved in Politics, especially in a democracy, then non-Chiristians will rule over you. Your rights will be eliminated, and godlessness will be the norm.
I feel like if you are part of a church, the focus should be doing God's work, and politics is a distraction. "Render unto Ceasar". But I agree with your statement above, if we have a vote, why would you want to allow non-Christians to spread their worldview and Godless agendas? Why wouldn't you want to live under Christian values as much as you can?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟307,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like if you are part of a church, the focus should be doing God's work, and politics is a distraction. "Render unto Ceasar". But I agree with your statement above, if we have a vote, why would you want to allow non-Christians to spread their worldview and Godless agendas? Why wouldn't you want to live under Christian values as much as you can?
Well said! The secular people can’t force me to accept their atheistic point of view. I have a relationship with a living God!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟614,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truth. The reality of human nature is that it will always fall to the lowest common degeneracy. This is where a pure democracy will take you. If you do not participate, that is where it will inevitably fall. I am not criticizing, only stating a fact. It will inevitably fall if we do not exercise our faith and standards in this culture. Some say it has already started down that "slippery slope" and is beyond the point of no return. Derek Prince said that a nation is like an apple. Once it has started to rot, it will not stop. I do not participate in politics any longer beyond voting. I try to make public displays of faith, like praying over a meal and wearing Jesus/Christian tee-shirts. We cannot allow our culture to cast these behaviors out as abnormal or cultish.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0