Why did Samson give in to Delilah's nagging?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟122,763.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Samson had a weakness for foreign women. That's his tragic flaw, built-in in his character.

Judges 16:

4 Some time later, he fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek whose name was Delilah.
Samson couldn't help but fall in love with Delilah and express his love for her.

15 Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven’t told me the secret of your great strength.” 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was sick to death of it.
She had been nagging him for days. He finally gave in:

17 So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.”
Besides his apparent weakness for the beautiful Canaanite woman Delilah, there could be another hidden reason: He got overconfident.

20 Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!”
He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.”
He thought he was invincible.

But he did not know that the Lord had left him.
21 Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison.
Just before he died, he learned the lesson of being dependent on God:

28 Then Samson prayed to the Lord, “Sovereign Lord, remember me. Please, God, strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes.”
Why did Samson give in to Delilah's nagging?

1. He had a fatal weakness for loving a foreign woman.
  2. He began to think that he was invincible.

• Winner
Reactions: Ted-01

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟823,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ALSO, "A leak that keeps dripping on a rainy day and the nagging of a wife are the same —" Pro 27:15

"And Samson’s wife wept before him the seven days their feast lasted, and on the seventh day he told her because she pressed him with entreaties. Then she told the riddle to her countrymen." Judges 14:17

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟823,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The feast was a bachelor party for Samson and Delilah. Once a couple was bethrothed, usually the groom returned to his father's house to prepare for his bride while she made herself ready (Rev 19:7). Their communication was through a friend of the bridegroom. Sometimes that designated friend and the bride ended up marrying as it was in Samson's case Judges 14.

'But Samson's wife was given to his companion, whom he had used as his friend." Judges 14:20

Upvote 0