• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

When you pray, how do you pray?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟153,528.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Priests and religious in the Catholic faith pray the liturgy of the hours or some parts of it. This prayer involves the saying of psalms, singing of a hymn, readings from holy scriptures (outside of the psalms) and specific prayers, such as the Lord's prayer and others. When at prayer it is common to have intentions for specific people in need, the pope, bishops, and priests, and for the world. These are liturgical prayers with which Orthodox and Anglican Christians are very likely familiar. I think that some Lutherans also are likely to use similar prayers.

Reactions: The Liturgist

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟1,013,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As an Anglican, we pray the Daily Office from the Book of Common Prayer - Morning, Noon, Evening, & Compline. Within those structured prayers is a place for free-form intercessory prayers to be made, so really both may occur within a period of prayer - both structured and unstructured prayer. Hymns may also be included. I think structured prayer is often misunderstood or at least underappreciated by Christians having other faith practices. That was once true of me in my life, I admit. Now, I have rather come to like and take comfort in the thought that the entire church is praying the same thing at the same time, all in addition to our individual prayers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟458,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We pray from the Agpeya, as that is our daily prayer book.

Perspectives on prayer:

"How should I pray?" with Fr. Gabriel Wissa (I get the feeling this may be directed at younger people)

"Come back to God" by HH Pope Shenouda III (For those struggling with prayer)

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0