• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

What is Keswickian theology?

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟92,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, as an American evangelical, I have encountered the term "Keswickian theology." I know nothing about it aside from that it's somewhat similar to Wesleyan-Holiness theology in that it teaches progressive sanctification and it's the view promoted by the Christian and Missionary Alliance.

What can you tell me about it? How does it differ from Wesleyan-Holiness and Arminianism? Would it be closer to Provisionism?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟355,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, as an American evangelical, I have encountered the term "Keswickian theology." I know nothing about it aside from that it's somewhat similar to Wesleyan-Holiness theology in that it teaches progressive sanctification and it's the view promoted by the Christian and Missionary Alliance.

What can you tell me about it? How does it differ from Wesleyan-Holiness and Arminianism? Would it be closer to Provisionism?
Honestly I had never heard of it until @Akita Suggagaki posted the link above. After reading the wikipedia article it strikes me as yet another case of re-inventing the wheel. What Keswickian theology refers to as "entire sanctification" is what Christianity has always termed theosis, meaning to become God-like. That is the ultimate goal of Christianity in this life but for most Christians it is unattainable. Monks separate themselves from the world to engage in prayer and fasting in order to attain it. It is a work of cooperation between man and the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

It takes its name from the so-called "Keswick Convention", named after the town in the Lake District of England where it takes place. It started in 1875 focussing on the "Higher Life Movement". This grew out of the Wesleyan Holiness Movement. Keswick still happens every year, but I don't know if it still has the same theological focus.

Upvote 0