• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

What does it mean?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟149,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Southern Baptist Convention's decision not to incorporate the Nicene Creed into their statement of faith does not necessarily imply a rejection of the creed. While many Protestant denominations include the Nicene Creed and other creeds in their statements of faith, the Southern Baptist Convention may have reasons related to their own doctrinal positions or traditions for not adopting it formally. It's important to consider the specific theological and historical context of each denomination when interpreting such decisions. So, what does the SBC decision mean?

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟307,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Southern Baptist Convention's decision not to incorporate the Nicene Creed into their statement of faith does not necessarily imply a rejection of the creed. While many Protestant denominations include the Nicene Creed and other creeds in their statements of faith, the Southern Baptist Convention may have reasons related to their own doctrinal positions or traditions for not adopting it formally. It's important to consider the specific theological and historical context of each denomination when interpreting such decisions. So, what does the SBC decision mean?
Probably that they don't want to be linked with Catholicism, or they want to be subject only to the Bible. More likely the latter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟800,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have a link from the SBC showing their statement?

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟149,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟800,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did find this:

Home Christian News Southern Baptists Do Not Adopt Nicene Creed at Annual Meeting​

Southern Baptists Do Not Adopt Nicene Creed at Annual Meeting​

By​
Dale Chamberlain
-​
I’m a little careful, a little skittish about too much ecumenism,” Allen said.​
“And I think the Nicene Creed, while generally is a very good creed and it’s certainly been accepted by many traditions,” Allen added, “there are still a couple issues of wording in that creed that could be interpreted to foment or to produce doctrines or concepts of doctrines that we as Baptists would reject.”​
“Though the language is directly from Scripture in Acts, the language was interpreted by many among the Church Fathers and by many today who use the creed to mean baptismal regeneration. Baptists would reject such an interpretation,” Allen said. “If that language is interpreted to mean that we are baptized ‘because of’ the forgiveness of sins, which is the meaning in the Greek New Testament I might add, then there is no problem with the statement.”​
“The Nicene Creed is otherwise a strong Trinitarian document affirming the biblical doctrine of the Trinity,” he added. “Baptists can wholeheartedly endorse it when properly interpreted.” Allen said that he would not oppose the addition of the Nicene Creed to the BFM “with proper clarification.”​
NOTE: Mr Chamberlain does not speak for the Baptist Convention

He finishes his opinion piece with this:

None of the three motions to add the Nicene Creed to the BFM were brought to a vote. Two were referred to the SBC’s Executive Committee for evaluation over the coming year, and the third was ruled out of order for being presented in the nature of a resolution.​
Hope that helps​

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟800,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟149,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Right - that is NOT their site - thanks you.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟271,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Information about this will eventually be published in The Baptist Record. SBC -
Home - Mississippi Baptist Convention Board

But form now here a little information
From a Baptist website

Baptists, however, have prided themselves on being “not a creedal people.” A historic declaration taught in Baptist seminaries for centuries is that Baptists “have no creed but the Bible.”

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟800,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the article you quoted from was from:

churchleaders.com
churchleaders.com

Which is different from the SBC

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟590,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yo, my brother @Vambram , as you are Baptist, can you explain the SBC decision, and whether you agree or disagree with the SBC on not adopting the Nicene Creed? Will some baptists personally adopt the Nicene creed even if the SBC does not?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟978,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SBC is not creedal.

Neither is SDA.

They both argue for "sola scriptura" as their basis for doctrine -- not "creeds".,

So while we agree with a given creed it is not our guide -- the Bible is. I suspect Southern Baptists have a similar stand.

"Southern Baptists have summarized their biblical convictions in a statement of faith called The Baptist Faith and Message. Southern Baptists are not a creedal people, requiring churches or individuals to embrace a standardized set of beliefs; but we are a confessional people."

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟64,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The SBC may not be into creeds, but it is confessions, which today are called statements of faith. Here is a link to the latest Faith and Message: Baptist Faith & Message 2000 - The Baptist Faith and Message

As to the Nicene Creed, I do know, anecdotally, that it was read in some Baptist churches in the early 20th Century. That same anecdote may explain some hesitancy at including the Nicene Creed. My mother was reading it aloud and when she got to the part one holy catholic apostolic church, she skipped over "catholic." After the service, the minister told her it was a reference to the church as a whole and not specifically the Roman Catholic church.

While we're on the subject, Baptist churches used to be big on the Church Covenant and would display it in the sanctuary. Lifeway publications sells the cards I remember that are printed with the Church Covenant. Since it's on their order site, I won't link to it, but it's easy to find.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟124,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yo, my brother @Vambram , as you are Baptist, can you explain the SBC decision, and whether you agree or disagree with the SBC on not adopting the Nicene Creed? Will some baptists personally adopt the Nicene creed even if the SBC does not?
I agree with the explanations given by BobRyan and Tuur. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟307,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can a pastor in good standing with the Southern Baptist Convention agree to the Nicene creed in good faith?
Yes, he can personally, but he can't require his congregation to do so.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟978,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can a pastor in good standing with the Southern Baptist Convention agree to the Nicene creed in good faith?
Why would you doubt that he could do that?
In your POV do you think that a confessional group like SBCs are required to not agree with the Nicene creed??

What aspect of the Nicene creed do you see as being out of line with the "Baptist Faith and Message"?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟149,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why would you doubt that he could do that?
In your POV do you think that a confessional group like SBCs are required to not agree with the Nicene creed??

What aspect of the Nicene creed do you see as being out of line with the "Baptist Faith and Message"?
I asked about a Baptist pastor in good standing and the creed because the SBC rejected inclusion of the Nicene creed in their statements of faith.

Upvote 0