• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Vance, Walz clash over late-term abortion, protections for born-alive infants in debate

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,097,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In their first and only vice presidential debate this election season, Republican Sen. JD Vance and Democratic Gov. Tim Walz on Tuesday night clashed on whether abortion should be a federal or state issue and sparred over each other’s records on abortion limits and protections for infants born alive from botched abortions.

During the Oct. 1 CBS debate, moderated by network anchors Norah O’Donnell and Margaret Brennan, both candidates quarreled over abortion policy and about which presidential ticket has the best track record on handling illegal immigration and the economy.

Vance is an incumbent senator from Ohio running on former president Donald Trump’s ticket, while Walz is the incumbent governor of Minnesota serving as Vice President Kamala Harris’ running mate. Vance is a convert to Catholicism and Walz was raised Catholic but now attends a Lutheran church.

Continued below.

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟330,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what's the verdict on that Minnesota bill in regard to whether or not it supports abortion in the ninth month? Walz claims “that’s not what the bill says.” He did not say whether he would support any restrictions on late-term abortions.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟850,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This was the only debate in years that I could actually watch (I didn't catch all of it). There was actual civility and no personal attacks, from what I did see. I doubt I'll ever see a debate like that again.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
Study
✟313,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
@Lady Bug I agree with you on that one. It was most pleasantly surprising to see a "reaching across the aisle" response being made in particular by Walz, who kept finding common ground on problem solving with Vance. This is American. We need not division but unity at this terrible time in the world. We can make America great again, but we need to work together on that. Are we not the United States?

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟330,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I will never understand the democrats obsession with abortion. They seem to view the right to kill an unborn child as a special right above all other rights.
It's the party of death.

They cry about children being shot but are ok with children being ripped from their mother's womb.

Hypocrites.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟330,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's the party of death.

They cry about children being shot but are ok with children being ripped from their mother's womb.

Hypocrites.
Proverbs 8:36 - but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟314,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, what's the verdict on that Minnesota bill in regard to whether or not it supports abortion in the ninth month? Walz claims “that’s not what the bill says.” He did not say whether he would support any restrictions on late-term abortions.
A Minnesota law that had been on the books since 1976 required “responsible medical personnel” to use “[a]ll reasonable measures consistent with good medical practice” to “preserve the life and health of the born alive infant.”

The legislation Walz signed in May 2023 got rid of the word “preserve” and replaced the previous wording with a revised requirement “to care for the infant who is born alive.”

Pro-lifers say they find that change disturbing.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟530,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Here is an entire article about the Minnesota law.

(And the pro-life concern is the difference between "Lifesaving Care" and "Comfort Care". There IS a difference.)

Tim Walz Removed Requirement to Try to Save Babies Born Alive After Abortion​

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s elevated profile as Vice President Kamala Harris’ Democratic running mate has led to wider awareness of his staunch support for abortion in his state — including a bill he signed into law last year that removed a requirement to try to save the life of a baby born alive after an attempted abortion.

A Minnesota law that had been on the books since 1976 required “responsible medical personnel” to use “[a]ll reasonable measures consistent with good medical practice” to “preserve the life and health of the born alive infant.”

The legislation Walz signed in May 2023 got rid of the word “preserve” and replaced the previous wording with a revised requirement “to care for the infant who is born alive.”

Pro-lifers say they find that change disturbing.

“The concern is that the law no longer requires that lifesaving measures be taken. It only requires ‘care.’ So the law as it’s now written could allow a baby to be left to die, even a baby who could be saved with appropriate lifesaving measures,” Paul Stark, communications director with the pro-life group Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life, told the Register.

The law is one of the items the organization cited earlier this week in a statement by its co-executive director, Cathy Blaeser, that called Walz “an abortion absolutist.”

The same 2023 Minnesota law also removed a previous requirement to report to the state the deaths of aborted unborn babies 20 weeks’ gestation and older and stopped state funding for pro-life pregnancy centers.

The Register contacted the press offices of the Harris campaign and of the Minnesota governor on Wednesday morning, but did not hear back by deadline.

Tim Walz Removed Requirement to Try to Save Babies Born Alive After Abortion

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟314,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟163,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The person who wants late term abortion (or any abortion, but especially late term, and especially 9th month/post birth) and says it with a straight face in all seriousness needs an exorcism, not a title and an office.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟330,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The person who wants late term abortion (or any abortion, but especially late term, and especially 9th month/post birth) and says it with a straight face in all seriousness needs an exorcism, not a title and an office.
Amen!

They’re truly sick in their soul.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟91,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok,

I'm kinda sick of the propaganda of the Pro-life movement, and REALLY sick of my state being dragged through the mud so this movement can feel good about itself.

And, ftr, I'm complete done with the Minnesota Citizen's Concern for Life.

You want Hypocrites, Riles, go look at this crew.

Anyway....

Does the MN Pro-ACT have a viability date built into it ? No.

There, I said it. In Minnesota, a woman has a right to an abortion. Period.

If you're unhappy about it, don't move to Minnesota, I guess. Hey, it was a REPUBLICAN president who got Roe overturned and according to him EVERYBODY wanted this back in the hands of the states and no one but he could do it.

So go complain to him if you don't like it.

Now....

Why was the wording changed from "preserving life" to "supporting care" (paraphrasing here, don't care to look up the law right now)

At the request of both doctors and lawyers, that's why. They have been after Minnesota to change this wording for a while.

Understand, if you dare:

1) "Abortion" in this law is a medical term, not a moral one. It means the premature ending of a pregnancy. It doesn't specific nor indicate whether the premature ending occurred intentionally or not. What a layman would call a "miscarriage" is, medically, an abortion. Medically, the law doesn't make mention or nor make a difference in whether the abortion was intended, accidental or just one of those things that happens, they're all the same.

2) Nobody, like, seriously, nobody has an intentional abortion after about 25 weeks. It just doesn't happen. UNLESS: there's a serious medical issue, then you have might need of one. But 99.7% of abortions (of all types) after 30 weeks are because of serious medical issues.

3) There are, unfortunately, babies born early due to naturally, unintended abortions that are born alive and with horrible defects. The old law could have been interpreted as stating that, medically and legally, these babies had to have what is referred to as "heroic" medical measures preformed on them in an attempt to save their lives.

Medical professionals didn't like the law because all these heroic measure did was extend the life of the babies at great cost and suffering for a few days, and then they died anyway. Supportive, palliative care seems like an alternative that should be allowed as an option.

The lawyers wanted the wording changed because it was taking medical decisions out of the hands of the kid's parents, and, ultimately, the parents should have the ability to make a decision whether heroic care is desired or even appropriate.

So, there you are. Makes sense to me, working in the trenches, doing the grunt work necessary to change the law in order to give parents more control over the healthcare of their children and more options in the case of the unthinkable as the parent of a deformed and suffering child.

But it SOOOOOO much easier to run in circle and scream and shout, especially if it makes you feel all superior and stuff.

So....

Carry on.

PS : One more thing as long as I here and in a mood:

I don't care what third hand facebook/X/TicTok meme you've seen or whatever scare video someone found on Youtube or what story you've read about the "eyewitness" reports of some anonymous "medical professional":

This is no such thing as a fetus, no matter how many weeks mature, surviving an intended abortion. If you do the completely absurd thing and actually look up how these procedures are performed (I do these things so you don't have to, you should thank me) you see that it's an impossibility. Doctors are professionals. They do their jobs well.

The ONLY surviving babes are those whose survived unintended, accidental or one of those things that happens abortions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0