• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

UAW claims illegal labor threats in X talk between Musk and Trump

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,881,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The United Auto Workers has filed federal labor charges against Tesla Inc. CEO Elon Musk and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, the union said Tuesday.​
The complaints come after the two men had a two-hour-long conversation marred by technical difficulties the previous night on X, Musk's social media platform formerly known as Twitter. The union specifically cited comments from Trump during an exchange about government efficiency and spending of taxpayer dollars.​
"You're the greatest cutter," Trump said Monday, referencing Musk's history of eliminating staff across his businesses. "I mean, I look at what you do. You walk in, you just say, want to quit? They go on strike. I won't mention the name of the company, but they go on strike. And you say, that's OK. You're all gone. You're all gone. So every one of you is gone."​
The union noted in its statement that federal law prohibits workers from being fired for going on strike and that threatening to do so is illegal under the National Labor Relations Act.​
"The UAW has filed federal labor charges against disgraced billionaires Donald Trump and Elon Musk for their illegal attempts to threaten and intimidate workers who stand up for themselves by engaging in protected concerted activity, such as strikes," the union said in a statement issued by spokesperson Jonah Furman.​
I didn't see the UAW fired up with Biden. They are getting fired up now with Harris in campaigning against Trump.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

The United Auto Workers has filed federal labor charges against Tesla Inc. CEO Elon Musk and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, the union said Tuesday.​
The complaints come after the two men had a two-hour-long conversation marred by technical difficulties the previous night on X, Musk's social media platform formerly known as Twitter. The union specifically cited comments from Trump during an exchange about government efficiency and spending of taxpayer dollars.​
"You're the greatest cutter," Trump said Monday, referencing Musk's history of eliminating staff across his businesses. "I mean, I look at what you do. You walk in, you just say, want to quit? They go on strike. I won't mention the name of the company, but they go on strike. And you say, that's OK. You're all gone. You're all gone. So every one of you is gone."​
The union noted in its statement that federal law prohibits workers from being fired for going on strike and that threatening to do so is illegal under the National Labor Relations Act.​
"The UAW has filed federal labor charges against disgraced billionaires Donald Trump and Elon Musk for their illegal attempts to threaten and intimidate workers who stand up for themselves by engaging in protected concerted activity, such as strikes," the union said in a statement issued by spokesperson Jonah Furman.​
I didn't see the UAW fired up with Biden. They are getting fired up now with Harris in campaigning against Trump.
Maybe the unions are waking up and starting to be real unions again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,270,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...and if "disgraced billionaire" Elon Musk (like how they tossed that jab in there, that article wasn't biased at all lol) doesn't want to cooperate, maybe they can go back to having people whacked like the old days.

Hopefully all of the fat cats get in-line with the UAW agenda...if there's one problem we've had lately, it's that American cars are too cheap and too reliable, we need to go back to the gold standard of a mid-sized American sedan costing 50% more than the Japanese counterpart, and having a lifespan of 90k miles before having a catastrophic oil consumption issue.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hopefully, the real auto workers in the UAW have not bought into the stuff that Kamala Harris and the leadership of the Democratic Party has been saying. Hopefully, they don't vote how the UAW president wants them to vote in November. I truly do believe that most of the auto workers will recognize that the push by the Democratic Party for electric vehicles is NOT something that the vast majority of Americans want.

• Winner
Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully, the real auto workers in the UAW have not bought into the stuff that Kamala Harris and the leadership of the Democratic Party has been saying. Hopefully, they don't vote how the UAW president wants them to vote in November. I truly do believe that most of the auto workers will recognize that the push by the Democratic Party for electric vehicles is NOT something that the vast majority of Americans want.
I take it that you are in favor of a planned economy? Why not let the buying public decide?

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I take it that you are in favor of a planned economy? Why not let the buying public decide?
I do want the buying public to decide. Unless I am not seeing enough data, the vast majority of Americans appear to prefer gasoline and diesel vehicles as compared to EVs.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

E pluribus unum
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟338,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
...and if "disgraced billionaire" Elon Musk (like how they tossed that jab in there, that article wasn't biased at all lol) doesn't want to cooperate, maybe they can go back to having people whacked like the old days.
It was a quote from the union official, not a statement by the reporter. (and "disgraceful billionaire" would be better

Hopefully all of the fat cats get in-line with the UAW agenda...if there's one problem we've had lately, it's that American cars are too cheap and too reliable, we need to go back to the gold standard of a mid-sized American sedan costing 50% more than the Japanese counterpart, and having a lifespan of 90k miles before having a catastrophic oil consumption issue.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟179,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not sure what you’re trying to convey here?
UAW members will still be employed to build EVs; the motive technique isn’t all that important.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I do want the buying public to decide. Unless I am not seeing enough data, the vast majority of Americans appear to prefer gasoline and diesel vehicles as compared to EVs.
So why do you need to discourage the sale of EVs? I suspect it's because the Chinese have shown themselves able to make better EVs more cheaply than American manufacturers.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟138,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So why do you need to discourage the sale of EVs? I suspect it's because the Chinese have shown themselves able to make better EVs more cheaply than American manufacturers.
No serious person discourages the sale of EV’s ! If you want one you should be able to buy one. It is the forcing of manufacturers to build them and dealers to try to sale an unwanted product that is the problem here.

• Winner
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No serious person discourages the sale of EV’s ! If you want one you should be able to buy one. It is the forcing of manufacturers to build them and dealers to try to sale an unwanted product that is the problem here.
The problem here (and it's a typical one, so it's good to bring it up) is that domestically produced EVs are more expensive than comparable engine-powered cars. They needn't be, and the UAW knows it.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,270,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think the logistics are still a concern for most people. It's not that they don't like the idea of newer technology, or being able to save money at the pump. It's that the charging infrastructure network isn't there yet to make it a practical option for most people yet (especially people who can only afford to have one car that they use for everything)

For instance, when I pull up the EV charging station map on Google Maps, the closest one to me is 11.2 miles away, and it's a single charging station that's attached to a dealership, and the station isn't accessible 24-hr... you can only get to it Mon-Sat from 8am-7pm.

The closest one to me that'd be a 24-hr charging location (that's not attached to a dealership) is 19 miles away.

It'd be the equivalent of if there was only one gas station in a 19 mile radius, and the station only had one pump.

The actual technology itself is pretty cool (for those who've ever ridden in a Tesla, you know what I'm talking about)

I think Hybrids are the more feasible option for people looking to cut down on prices at the pump and gasoline usage now that a lot of Hybrids don't look like clown cars anymore. I actually just replaced my daily driver with one of the new Honda Accord Regenerative Hybrids. It looks like a normal car, it's quick, and I can go 600 miles on a $25 fill up.

If those EV quick charging stations were as easily available (or almost as easily) as gas stations, I could've seen myself taking a serious look at a Tesla.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟603,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The new vehicle market is already riddled with market distortions triggered by government rules and incentives. They're part of the reason why Japan can't compete against American firms in pickup trucks and why everybody's making crossovers instead of wagons. Moaning about a push towards EV's isn't about championing a free market; it's about pwning the libs regardless of the consequences. If it were about a free market, the right would be trying to fix the CAFE standards along side the left. But they're not.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,270,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
it's about pwning the libs regardless of the consequences
Unfortunately, I do think that's part of it...

There's no particular reason why someone would have some sort of attachment to a particular fuel source like gasoline if that wasn't at least a little bit of the mentality.

When people want a car, they want something that achieves a certain purpose
"I want it to be quick from 0-60"
"I want it to last a while"
"I want it to be able to pull my boat"
"I want something big enough that I can comfortable drive with 4 people"
etc...

Why would they care, all that much, which fuel source is working the magic when they push the pedal on the right, as long as it goes and does what they wanted it to do?

It'd be like if someone had some sort of attachment to a particular battery type.
"I only want my <insert electronic device> to run on Lithium batteries, none of those Alkaline batteries!", unless they had a really good reason, they'd get funny looks.

I think further evidence of the "own the libs" mentality is the fact that we have a lot of people buying large trucks, who don't even use them for "truck stuff".

Interesting article here
(and it's from a publication that's pro-Detroit muscle car, pro-Performance truck, so they're certainly not EV sympathizers)

1723645371191.png

We've got droves of people buying F-150's for grocery shopping & daily commuting. (and only a quarter of them using them for actual tasks that need a truck)

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟71,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, I do think that's part of it...

There's no particular reason why someone would have some sort of attachment to a particular fuel source like gasoline if that wasn't at least a little bit of the mentality.

When people want a car, they want something that achieves a certain purpose
"I want it to be quick from 0-60"
"I want it to last a while"
"I want it to be able to pull my boat"
"I want something big enough that I can comfortable drive with 4 people"
etc...

Why would they care, all that much, which fuel source is working the magic when they push the pedal on the right, as long as it goes and does what they wanted it to do?

It'd be like if someone had some sort of attachment to a particular battery type.
"I only want my <insert electronic device> to run on Lithium batteries, none of those Alkaline batteries!", unless they had a really good reason, they'd get funny looks.

I think further evidence of the "own the libs" mentality is the fact that we have a lot of people buying large trucks, who don't even use them for "truck stuff".

Interesting article here
(and it's from a publication that's pro-Detroit muscle car, pro-Performance truck, so they're certainly not EV sympathizers)

View attachment 353248

We've got droves of people buying F-150's for grocery shopping & daily commuting. (and only a quarter of them using them for actual tasks that need a truck)
I have never understood the obsession with pickup trucks that the US consumer seems to have

It is one of the worst financial decisions a young guy can make: instead of spending 25k on a new sedan, he goes and finances a 45k pickup truck. Why? Because I need my truck!

no you don't --unless you are using it for work, you don't need a truck

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟71,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Regardless of the truth of some of the statements between Musk and Trump about the auto unions, it was a big mistake for Trump to be swimming in anti-union rhetoric

he needs union workers in places like MI and PA to support him--this was not a good move

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have never understood the obsession with pickup trucks that the US consumer seems to have

It is one of the worst financial decisions a young guy can make: instead of spending 25k on a new sedan, he goes and finances a 45k pickup truck. Why? Because I need my truck!

You need it for the male image.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟138,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This post show ignorance of the usefulness of a pickup truck especially for people in rural areas. But even if one wants and can afford one just because this still is America right?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟226,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This post show ignorance of the usefulness of a pickup truck especially for people in rural areas. But even if one wants and can afford one just because this still is America right?
I’m a big proponent of people buying whatever car it is they want and I myself drive a car that seats nine and is a gas guzzler, but even I can admit that most people who own trucks around my rural area do not use them as trucks and don’t “need” them. And in those situations, going into monstrous debt to get them (or any other vanity vehicle), is stupid.

If they want to buy them, I certainly won’t stand in their way, but I also will also think they are stupid.

Upvote 0