• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Trump proposes the government pay for IVF; what are Catholics saying?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,025,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At a campaign rally in Michigan on Thursday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump announced a new policy proposal that the government pay for in vitro fertilization (IVF) services.

“Under the Trump administration your government will pay for or your insurance company will be mandated to pay for all costs associated with IVF treatment,” Trump announced.

Trump claimed that the reason for this policy was “because we want more babies.”

We’re pro-family; nobody’s ever said that before, but the IVF treatments are expensive, it’s very hard for many people to do it and to get it, but I’ve been in favor of IVF right from the beginning.”

Though Trump has cast his support for IVF as pro-child and pro-family, the announcement has drawn criticism from numerous pro-life Catholics.

So, what is IVF and can Catholics support government spending on these treatments?

Continued below.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟524,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I heard about this Trump IVF 'business' yesterday. And I don't like it.
Truthfully, I am still almost in disbelief that Trump has moved in this direction.

I listened to Taylor Marshall discuss this last nite. He still intends to vote for Trump ("lesser of two evils"), but is encouraging listeners to 'push back' on this issue now, before Trump possibly wins the election and the IVF issue becomes policy. Then, he says, it will be too late to stop it.

I thought the video was really good. If anyone is interested:

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟839,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm worried about losing a friend when typing about this. I hope I don't.

I still favor Trump for things like border security, immigration, the economy, and foreign policy (i.e. aspiring to end the current endless wars). I still plan to vote for him (I'd never vote for that toxic witch on the other side, even for a million dollars). However, if prolifers are still going to consider a certain person the lesser of the two in regard to abortion, I think they're...ok, plainly put, fools. :(

Would the Church say "Well...Trump views 6 weeks as too short, but at least it's not the second or third trimester, so it's alright"?

Would the Church say "Well...IVF is a mortal sin but if the Republicans are allowing it, that's OK because Republicans used to be more traditionally prolife anyway"?

EDIT: I will say that so far he is against enshrining abortion as a "right" in the FL Constitution.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟308,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I still favor Trump for things like border security, immigration, the economy, and foreign policy (i.e. aspiring to end the current endless wars). I still plan to vote for him (I'd never vote for that toxic witch on the other side, even for a million dollars). However, if prolifers are still going to consider a certain person the lesser of the two in regard to abortion, I think they're...ok, plainly put, fools. :(

Would the Church say "Well...Trump views 6 weeks as too short, but at least it's not the second or third trimester, so it's alright"?

Would the Church say "Well...IVF is a mortal sin but if the Republicans are allowing it, that's OK because Republicans used to be more traditionally prolife anyway"?

EDIT: I will say that so far he is against enshrining abortion as a "right" in the FL Constitution.
You aren't wrong.

God bless you

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟524,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

When Taylor Marshall said "the lesser of two evils", I don't know exactly on what he was basing that statement.
(I suspect it was on more than just the pro-life issues.)

But I know for me, that I am not a 'one issue' voter.
In years past, pro-lifers may have had that luxury, but I don't see it in this election.
This election is critical. There is so very much at stake ... the very future of our nation.

I don't like that Trump has proposed this IVF policy. I don't agree with it.
But still, he has my vote. In no way do I want the America that 'Harris & company' want.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟528,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
At a campaign rally in Michigan on Thursday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump announced a new policy proposal that the government pay for in vitro fertilization (IVF) services.

“Under the Trump administration your government will pay for or your insurance company will be mandated to pay for all costs associated with IVF treatment,” Trump announced.

Trump claimed that the reason for this policy was “because we want more babies.”

We’re pro-family; nobody’s ever said that before, but the IVF treatments are expensive, it’s very hard for many people to do it and to get it, but I’ve been in favor of IVF right from the beginning.”

Though Trump has cast his support for IVF as pro-child and pro-family, the announcement has drawn criticism from numerous pro-life Catholics.

So, what is IVF and can Catholics support government spending on these treatments?

Continued below.
Unfortunately there is no third choice pro life candidate.
I wish we could get this country to be more Catholic...

However; lesser of two weevils.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟587,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is a 3rd choice who is pro-life. I am most likely voting for him.

American Solidarity Party is trying to get on the ballots:

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟524,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

You are in Pennsylvania ... your vote for Trump is very much needed there.

(Just like I am in Ohio ... where every vote for Trump is important, too.)

Upvote 0

Solo81

Jan 19, 2024
Gundy
✟34,084.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
He is not really a good pro life candidate.
???
Trump was always personally pro-choice but he was America's most pro-life President for quite some time. And he's still not pro-life enough for you??

Upvote 0

concretecamper

I stand with Candice.
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟291,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
???
Trump was always personally pro-choice but he was America's most pro-life President for quite some time. And he's still not pro-life enough for you??
All I said is that he is not a good pro life candidate, which is true.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟308,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, he’s some pro-life Christian, alright. (Sarcasm)
He's not the best choice, I agree.

I shudder to think if Harris wins.

She has blood all over her hands.

Upvote 0