• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

The Efficaciousness of the Word verse listing.

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟124,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note: This listing of verses as taken me a few years to gather. When I find an appropriate verse I just add it to the listing.

God's holy inspired Word has several characteristics that guarantee powerful results. First, it is infused with the power of the Holy Spirit. Second, God's word is truth. It awakens our conscience. With the power to reach into the private corners of our hearts, the Word bares our motives and secret feelings and reveals our hidden longings. Third, God's Word discerns our true character. It exposes the weakness in our attitudes and conduct, enabling us to correct ourselves by the power of His Holy Spirit.

(1) The Word is always powerful to save in itself;

(2) The Spirit is always at work through the Word; it is perpetual union. There is no Spiritless Word.

The Spirit through the Word as his instrument is the efficient cause our conversion and of all spiritual activity in man. The Spirit is the power behind the proclaimed Word. When we speak about the Word as a means of grace, we mean that the Spirit uses the Word as a vehicle of his presence and power. Spirit and Word must be understood in relation to one another. The work of the Spirit and the Word are interwoven so much so that it is hard to distinguish where one ends and the other begins.

I Thes 1:5 For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction;

I Corinthians 2:3-5 I also was with you in weakness and fear, and in great trembling and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of mankind, but on the power of God.

I Thes 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the Word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the Word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the Word.

Galatians 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith--

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.”

Romans 10:8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the Word of Christ.

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.

Luke 1:37 “For no Word from God will ever fail” (NIV) or “Nothing is impossible with God” (NASB)

Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Ephesians 1:13 “In Him you also trusted, after you heard the Word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in who also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.”

1 Peter 1:23-25 ...since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding Word of God; for "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the Word of the Lord remains forever." And this Word is the good news that was preached to you.

John 7:38-39 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’” But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive;

Is 55:9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.

10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
And do not return there without watering the earth
And making it bear and sprout,
And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater;
11 So will My Word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it

John 6:68 Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have Words of eternal life.

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the Words that I have spoken to you are Spirit and are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.”

John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your Word is truth.

Duet 8:3 He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.

John 15:3-5 Already you are clean because of the Word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Matthew 17:5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17
But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.

James 1:18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the Word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:23-25 ...since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding Word of God; for "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the Word of the Lord remains forever." And this Word is the good news that was preached to you.

Psalm 33:6 By the Word of the Lord the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host.

I Cor 1:21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Romans 10:14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!” 16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the Word of Christ.

Philippians 2:16 holding fast the Word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain.

I John 2:5 but whoever keeps His Word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

John 12:48 He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the Word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

2 Thessalonians 2:13–14 13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as first fruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. 14 He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ezekiel 12:25-28 For I the Lord will speak, and whatever Word I speak will be performed. It will no longer be delayed, for in your days, O rebellious house, I will speak the Word and perform it,” declares the Lord God.’” 26 Furthermore, the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 27 “Son of man, behold, the house of Israel is saying, ‘The vision that he sees is for many years from now, and he prophesies of times far off.’ 28 Therefore say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God, “None of My Words will be delayed any longer. Whatever Word I speak will be performed,”’” declares the Lord God.

James 1:21 Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the Word implanted, which is able to save your souls.

John 4:39-42 From that city many of the Samaritans believed in Him because of the Word of the woman who testified, “He told me all the things that I have done.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to Jesus, they were asking Him to stay with them; and He stayed there two days. 41 Many more believed because of His word; 42 and they were saying to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world.”

John 20:30 Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

Jeremiah 1:12 Then the Lord said to me, “You have seen well, for I am watching over My word to perform it.”

Lamentations 2:17 The Lord has done what He purposed; He has accomplished His Word
which He commanded from days of old. He has thrown down without sparing,
And He has caused the enemy to rejoice over you; He has exalted the might of your adversaries.

Proverbs 4:20-22 My son, give attention to my Words; Incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Do not let them depart from your sight; Keep them in the midst of your heart.
22 For they are life to those who find them; And health to all their body.

Romans 10:8 But what does it say? “The Word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Romans 4:17 (as it is written, “A father of many nations have I made you”) in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.

2 Timothy 4:1 begins with these words. “I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word.”

Matthew 4:4 “Man shall not live by bread alone but every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”

Colossians 3:16 (NKJV)
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lor

Last edited:

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟561,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Indeed, the efficacy of the Incarnate Son and Word of God, Jesus Christ, and of those scriptures which depict him as a verbal icon and are therefore the written Word, inspired by God, cannot be disputed. The Holy Spirit inspired the evangelists to record the life of Christ, either from their memory in the case of St. Matthew and St. John, or primarily from the recollections of the other apostles in the case of St. Mark and St. Luke (although it is traditionally believed, including by myself, that St. Mark owned the house with the Cenacle, and St. Luke was among the Seventy).

This is why I reject attempts by liberal denominations to teach things contrary to what is contained within scripture, for example, that homosexual relations are not sinful, to the extent of posing a threat to salvation. Or that Jesus Christ was not actually God Incarnate in the person of the Son and Logos, but a mere man. Or other doctrines which contradict the canonical New Testament as defined by the 27 book Athanasian Canon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟307,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed, the efficacy of the Incarnate Son and Word of God, Jesus Christ, and of those scriptures which depict him as a verbal icon and are therefore the written Word, inspired by God, cannot be disputed.
Do we find Jesus referred to as "the Word of God" (speech) in the NT didactics?
The Holy Spirit inspired the evangelists to record the life of Christ, either from their memory in the case of St. Matthew and St. John, or primarily from the recollections of the other apostles in the case of St. Mark and St. Luke (although it is traditionally believed, including by myself, that St. Mark owned the house with the Cenacle, and St. Luke was among the Seventy).

This is why I reject attempts by liberal denominations to teach things contrary to what is contained within scripture, for example, that homosexual relations are not sinful, to the extent of posing a threat to salvation. Or that Jesus Christ was not actually God Incarnate in the person of the Son and Logos, but a mere man. Or other doctrines which contradict the canonical New Testament as defined by the 27 book Athanasian Canon.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟124,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Within Lutheranism we have a problem with "Gospel Reductionism." Basically it’s the tendency to reduce the Bible to the gospel. Gospel reductionism tends to allow the Bible authority only in matters which are explicitly part of the gospel or may be developed from the gospel. Hence the law is dismissed. Exponents of gospel reductionism believe that considerable freedom should be allowed within the church in matters which are not an explicit part of the gospel. In this way, the rest of the Bible is relativistic; it does not have the same authority as Scripture containing both Law and Gospel. By only holding to the Gospel, the Law has no meaning for Christian living and amoral behaviors become norm in the church. We see this within the ELCA.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟124,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do we find Jesus referred to as "the Word of God" (speech) in the NT didactics?
I am not quite sure what is meant here but I will take a stab at it. Jesus is the incarnate Word which is a difficult concept on this own. John the Baptist full of the HS in the womb reacts to Jesus as the Word before Elizabeth knows Mary is with child. Here we see a union with the Incarnate Word and the Spirit. Also, we see this pattern of the Incarnate Word in the life of Jesus. In Jesus' baptism, the Spirit descend upon him and is with him through out his ministry. In this sense, in Jesus' earthly life we continually have two person of the Trinity intermingled yet kept distinct. The Word and the Spirit in union.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟307,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not quite sure what is meant here but I will take a stab at it. Jesus is the incarnate Word which is a difficult concept on this own.
John the Baptist full of the HS in the womb reacts to Jesus as the Word before Elizabeth knows Mary is with child. Here we see a union with the Incarnate Word and the Spirit. Also, we see this pattern of the Incarnate Word in the life of Jesus. In Jesus' baptism, the Spirit descend upon him and is with him through out his ministry. In this sense, in Jesus' earthly life we continually have two person of the Trinity intermingled yet kept distinct. The Word and the Spirit in union.
Do you think any of this indicates that Jesus is speech, the Word of God?

It seems he is the Word who is God, not the Word of God, as is Scripture.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟124,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think any of this indicates that Jesus is speech, the Word of God?

I haven't thought about this that much. But I will hold to your second statement. Jesus is not Scipture. ON THE OTHER HAND, Jesus' speech/Word was rejected by the Pharisee's as "You always resist the Holy Spirit!" thereby demonstating the inter relationship between Word and the HS

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟590,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note: This listing of verses as taken me a few years to gather. When I find an appropriate verse I just add it to the listing.

God's holy inspired Word has several characteristics that guarantee powerful results. First, it is infused with the power of the Holy Spirit. Second, God's word is truth. It awakens our conscience. With the power to reach into the private corners of our hearts, the Word bares our motives and secret feelings and reveals our hidden longings. Third, God's Word discerns our true character. It exposes the weakness in our attitudes and conduct, enabling us to correct ourselves by the power of His Holy Spirit.

(1) The Word is always powerful to save in itself;

(2) The Spirit is always at work through the Word; it is perpetual union. There is no Spiritless Word.
Can we add John 1:14, which talks about how Jesus is the Word, and how He became flesh? If point one of your list says the Word is powerful enough to save, that means the Word became flesh. I am not a theologian, but hopefully this verse helps.

John 1:14 (NKJV): "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟561,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I haven't thought about this that much. But I will hold to your second statement. Jesus is not Scipture. ON THE OTHER HAND, Jesus' speech/Word was rejected by the Pharisee's as "You always resist the Holy Spirit!" thereby demonstating the inter relationship between Word and the HS

Indeed, Scripture, the written Word, is a verbal icon of the Incarnate Word, the Only Begotten Son and Word of God. Thus Scripture is our means of accessing the revelation of the Word since it, inspired by the Holy Spirit, provides us with the definitive revelation of the Logos - the Incarnation, that is to say, the conception, nativity, life, baptism, ministry, transfiguration, passion, resurrection and ascension of the Son, our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ.

And the Holy Spirit is intimately connected to Jesus Christ, the divine Logos, just as He is connected to the written Word of the Scriptures - the Holy Spirit impregnated the Blessed Virgin Mary, thus sending the Word into the world just as He inspired the Holy Prophets, Apostles and Evangelists who wrote the different books, and in this way God the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhood, who is consubstantial, coeternal and coequal with God the unoriginate Father and God the uncreated Son, facilitated both the incarnation of the Son and the Inspiration of the Scriptures which, in the conclusion of the Gospel of Luke, our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ shows how all of the books of what we now call the Old Testament are about Him.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟561,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I am not quite sure what is meant here but I will take a stab at it. Jesus is the incarnate Word which is a difficult concept on this own. John the Baptist full of the HS in the womb reacts to Jesus as the Word before Elizabeth knows Mary is with child. Here we see a union with the Incarnate Word and the Spirit. Also, we see this pattern of the Incarnate Word in the life of Jesus. In Jesus' baptism, the Spirit descend upon him and is with him through out his ministry. In this sense, in Jesus' earthly life we continually have two person of the Trinity intermingled yet kept distinct. The Word and the Spirit in union.

Absolutely. And the three persons of the Holy Trinity are one God, sharing one divine essence. Jesus Christ through the Incarnation also became fully human, and is thus fully God and fully Man, consubstantial with the Father and consubstantial with us, and this assumption of our humanity is regarded by the early church fathers (such as St. Athanasius, and his Cappadocian allies St. Gregory the Theologian, his best friend St. Basil of Caesarea, and his younger brother St. Gregory or Nyssa) as soteriologically significant. To the extent of “What is not assumed, is not healed”, as St. Gregory the Theologian puts it.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟124,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, Scripture, the written Word, is a verbal icon of the Incarnate Word, the Only Begotten Son and Word of God. Thus Scripture is our means of accessing the revelation of the Word since it, inspired by the Holy Spirit, provides us with the definitive revelation of the Logos - the Incarnation, that is to say, the conception, nativity, life, baptism, ministry, transfiguration, passion, resurrection and ascension of the Son, our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ.

And the Holy Spirit is intimately connected to Jesus Christ, the divine Logos, just as He is connected to the written Word of the Scriptures - the Holy Spirit impregnated the Blessed Virgin Mary, thus sending the Word into the world just as He inspired the Holy Prophets, Apostles and Evangelists who wrote the different books, and in this way God the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhood, who is consubstantial, coeternal and coequal with God the unoriginate Father and God the uncreated Son, facilitated both the incarnation of the Son and the Inspiration of the Scriptures which, in the conclusion of the Gospel of Luke, our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ shows how all of the books of what we now call the Old Testament are about Him.
Amen.

It doesn't bother me to say Jesus "is the Word of God" rather than "the Word who is God" within the context of the whole of Scripture. We have three usages of the "Word of God" within Scripture.

1) Jesus as the Word of God.
2) The Word of God as inscripturated (ink and paper).
3. The preached "Word of God" in all its forms....sermons, hymns, prayers, table grace, Sunday school, even debate here at CF. In this respect, when saying table grace "Come Lord Jesus" has the same effect as John 3:16. Even baptism is the preached Word of God, "to make her holy [the church], cleansing her by the washing with water through the Word" Eph 5:26

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟307,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you asking about John 1:1-18 or something else?
I'm asking about the whole NT. Do we find specifically "Word of God" referring to Jesus?

Jesus is not the Word of God in Jn 1:1-18, he is the Word who is God (Jn 1:1, 14).

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟307,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Amen.

It doesn't bother me to say Jesus "is the Word of God" rather than "the Word who is God" within the context of the whole of Scripture.
We have three usages of the "Word of God" within Scripture.

1) Jesus as the Word of God.
That's my question. . .where in apostolic teaching is Jesus called "the Word of God"?

I don't find it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟124,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 3:16 (NKJV)
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord
Yeap. I will add that to the listing.
That's my question. . .where in the NT is Jesus called "the Word of God"?

I don't find it.
The Incarnate word. Geez....

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0