• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Supreme Court Allows Homeless Camping Bans

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟368,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The Supreme Court Ruled that cities may have laws against homeless camping on public property. Grants Pass Oregon was taken to Court for having a camping ban with the complainants calling it cruel and unusual punishment and lost its case originally. They pursued the case to the Supreme Court who ruled that governments response to homelessness is best left to the locals to decide how to handle it.

So cities and states may allow homeless camping or disallow it.

This is a victory for cities who have areas that are made dangerous, unsafe and filthy and wish to disallow them.

It also allows cities to decide they want those areas and wish to allow it. It's up to the locals to decide.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Supreme Court Ruled that cities may have laws against homeless camping on public property. Grants Pass Oregon was taken to Court for having a camping ban with the complainants calling it cruel and unusual punishment and lost its case originally. They pursued the case to the Supreme Court who ruled that governments response to homelessness is best left to the locals to decide how to handle it.

This is a victory for cities who have areas that are made dangerous, unsafe and filthy and wish to disallow them.

It also allows cities to decide they want those areas and wish to allow it. It's up to the locals to decide.

Will public housing be provided instead for the homeless, if these folks are relocated? Europe excels in public housing compared to the North Americans.

Source:

Upvote 0

Nithavela

you're in charge you can do it just get louis
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟527,614.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟368,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Will public housing be provided instead for the homeless, if these folks are relocated? Europe excels in public housing compared to the North Americans.

Source:
That's up to each community to figure out what to do. It appears that even the left coast has no solutions despite their claims of really caring for the homeless. They don't have any will either. They apparently just want them on the streets, defecating on the sidewalks, shooting up and leaving their needles all over the parks and living in crime.ridden shanty towns.

My community built a homeless area with small houses and shelters. The homeless still don't take care of it and the cops are there all the time dealing g with crime, drugs and assaults and drunkeness.

I don't know what Europe is doing better that their homeless are better behaved. I don't know if you remember, but California used motels to house the homeless and they just destroyed them. So I don't know what the difference is.

But Harris certainly hasn't provided any solutions and neither has Walz.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ozso

Ingenious Member
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Cyberspace
✟729,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Source:
Attempts at public housing has been problematic. For example when empty hotel rooms were provided, the property damage was too extensive.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Attempts at public housing has been problematic. For example when empty hotel rooms were provided, the property damage was too extensive.
Yeah, first off, we need to get these folks off of drugs. I think the drugs make these people damage property, as it reduces their mental faculties. Anyone who damages property should get kicked off. Only the honest and non-violent should be allowed in. How come European public housing does better, and has less problems?

• Agree
Reactions: ozso
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's up to each community to figure out what to do. It appears that even the left coast has no solutions despite their claims of really caring for the homeless. They don't have any will either. They apparently just want them on the streets, defecating on the sidewalks, shooting up and leaving their needles all over the parks and living in crime.ridden shanty towns.

My community built a homeless area with small houses and shelters. The homeless still don't take care of it and the cops are there all the time dealing g with crime, drugs and assaults and drunkeness.

I don't know what Europe is doing better that their homeless are better behaved. I don't know if you remember, but California used motels to house the homeless and they just destroyed them. So I don't know what the difference is.

But Harris certainly hasn't provided any solutions and neither has Walz.
Maybe the European homeless are just raised better, but I am not a sociologist, or drugs are less stigmatized there and are not used as much. Alcohol and drugs are the problem. We should ask some Europeans on this forum why the EU has more polite homeless folks.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course not. They'll just be politely asked to be homeless somewhere else.
Agreed right there. So, why do the Europeans handle the homelessness problem better than California? Are European homeless folks more polite, and less likely to commit crimes compared to their American counterparts, or cos the Europeans have stricter firearm laws?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟527,614.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Agreed right there. So, why do the Europeans handle the homelessness problem better than California? Are European homeless folks more polite, and less likely to commit crimes compared to their American counterparts, or cos the Europeans have stricter firearm laws?
I am not sure that europeans handle homelessness better than americans as a rule. Our social nets are usually stronger, but there is plenty of homelessness in every european country.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure that europeans handle homelessness better than americans as a rule. Our social nets are usually stronger, but there is plenty of homelessness in every european country.
Yeah, Eastern Europeans may not handle homelessness in the way that Germany or Scandinavia might. But yes, there is homelessness around the world, cos the world is not perfect.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟368,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
We need to understand that there are tp kinds of homeless people. The temporary and the chronic. The temporary are those who are working or temporarily between jobs etc. Then there is tjr chronically homeless who are ravaged by addictions and mental health issues.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟527,614.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, Eastern Europeans may not handle homelessness in the way that Germany or Scandinavia might. But yes, there is homelessness around the world, cos the world is not perfect.
The main reason for homelessness is the lack of affordable housing. Our current government had vowed to build 100k social housing units each year, but instead the number has been decreasing in the last few years since older social housing units are declassified and rented for market value (too high), while not enough new ones are built.

In the last 10 years, the rate of homeless people has increased by 150%.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟930,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I guess that's better than making it law that they must move. I hate it for these people. What are they supposed to do if they have no means? We seem like a very cold hearted society. We seem self-oriented and indifferent to the plight of our neighbors. There has to be a way to help these people in whatever way is best. If we all could agree to help them, the rest would be logistics.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The main reason for homelessness is the lack of affordable housing. Our current government had vowed to build 100k social housing units each year, but instead the number has been decreasing in the last few years since older social housing units are declassified and rented for market value (too high), while not enough new ones are built.

In the last 10 years, the rate of homeless people has increased by 150%.
Yeah, housing prices have gotten out of hand in the US and in Europe. That is horrible, as the last 10 years has done bad stuff to both Europe and North America. End Times stuff, my brother, as governments care about their own money instead of helping others.

What about your Austrian neighbors? Are they doing better than Germany?

Relevant Verse
2 Timothy 3:1-3 (NIV): "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good."

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟527,614.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, housing prices have gotten out of hand in the US and in Europe. That is horrible, as the last 10 years has done bad stuff to both Europe and North America. End Times stuff, my brother, as governments care about their own money instead of helping others.

What about your Austrian neighbors? Are they doing better than Germany?

Relevant Verse
2 Timothy 3:1-3 (NIV): "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good."
Yes, yes, end times stuff, just like the last 2000 years.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, yes, end times stuff, just like the last 2000 years.
That is actually true. The End Days began as soon as Jesus rose from the dead. :) The clock started ticking for His second coming.

But hey, I am not here to force my religion on you, my brother. I do love your country though. Germany brought a lot of good change to the world over the past few decades (well, at least after WW2 ended, cos the 1930s-1940s were a dark, evil time in German history) with their advanced tech and renewables. Also, you guys brought much needed reform to the Catholic church when the Lutherans came about in the 1500s, allowing the Catholic Church to change their ways. But hey, this is a thread about homelessness, but just had to say how much I appreciate Germany.

Luther and Catholics:

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟458,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
People don't really want to talk about this part of it, but a not-insignificant number of the chronically homeless are suffering from untreated or improperly treated mental illness and/or have personality disorders that make them unhousable (or at least not able to be housed in standard/traditional housing). Some people point to Reagan's closing of mental hospitals decades ago as a real tipping point in this aspect of the issue of homelessness. I don't know about that specifically, but I do know that my own father wound up living the last ~6 months of his life out of his truck because he was too mentally ill to be safely housed (even with family; our entire family all had an understanding that if he were to show up at any of our homes, we would call the police -- it was a very dangerous, unstable situation). So I've seen it up close, and because of that, I remain convinced that nothing will truly be done about the problem of homelessness in the USA until we tackle the related mental health crisis in this country (and the various ways that people have been dealing with it that does not involve treatment, to point to other posters' point about drug and alcohol abuse). You can build all the tiny homes or shipping container homes or whatever that you want to, but if the people they're meant for can't safely live in them, it is unlikely to really change anything.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟368,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I guess that's better than making it law that they must move. I hate it for these people. What are they supposed to do if they have no means? We seem like a very cold hearted society. We seem self-oriented and indifferent to the plight of our neighbors. There has to be a way to help these people in whatever way is best. If we all could agree to help them, the rest would be logistics.
I don't disagree. But I also have no answer to the housing expense issues. Unless government just used imminent domain and seized private land and built inexpensive housing on it, there is no good answer for that.

And those who are in need of mental health or addiction services are in rough shape. We don't do enough to provide services for them. I absolutely would be willing to pay for those services.

One thing I would ask for is that we be allowed to make the mentally ill be placed in a facility if they refuse to take their medications that would allow them to function.

I would also like to see mandatory addiction treatments as well.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
City by the bay
✟651,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many homeless would have it no other way! It "can" be a choice, and is for many who prefer that life.

I always thought there should be some wilderness areas where people could live wild if they want. Imagine no housing costs, eating berries and nuts out of a tent, down by the river! I'm cool with that.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟472,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People don't really want to talk about this part of it, but a not-insignificant number of the chronically homeless are suffering from untreated or improperly treated mental illness and/or have personality disorders that make them unhousable (or at least not able to be housed in standard/traditional housing). Some people point to Reagan's closing of mental hospitals decades ago as a real tipping point in this aspect of the issue of homelessness. I don't know about that specifically, but I do know that my own father wound up living the last ~6 months of his life out of his truck because he was too mentally ill to be safely housed (even with family; our entire family all had an understanding that if he were to show up at any of our homes, we would call the police -- it was a very dangerous, unstable situation). So I've seen it up close, and because of that, I remain convinced that nothing will truly be done about the problem of homelessness in the USA until we tackle the related mental health crisis in this country (and the various ways that people have been dealing with it that does not involve treatment, to point to other posters' point about drug and alcohol abuse). You can build all the tiny homes or shipping container homes or whatever that you want to, but if the people they're meant for can't safely live in them, it is unlikely to really change anything.
I dont think its just mental health. I think theres also a lot people out there for whom housing availability is the tipping point. At least that the impression I get from reading on the issue, as well as my own (unreliable) street take.

Upvote 0