• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Source of Quotes from St John Chrysostom

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am trying to find the specific writing / location of the following quote from St. John Chrysostom:

But if a man and a woman marry in order to be companions on the journey from earth to heaven, then their union will bring great joy to themselves and to others…. In the providence of God, when a husband is spiritually weak, his wife is spiritually strong; and when a wife is weak, her husband is strong.

Do any of you know in which writing this quote can be found? It is from “On Living Simply,” which is a compilation of quotes from St. John Chrysostom, but the book doesn’t cite the source for the quotes.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes - but that doesn’t have the source directly from St John Chrysostom.
I found the quote all over the Internet - but I haven’t found anything referencing the specific writing (directly written by St. John Chrysostom) that it comes from.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟750,536.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes - but that doesn’t have the source directly from St John Chrysostom.
Yes, they were having the same issue.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they were having the same issue.
As someone who hasn’t been blessed with children (I still pray for that, but it has been a long time), I find it to be a beautiful description of marriage - but I never have been confident in the authenticity of attribution to St. John due to the reasons listed in the above link. It sounds like I am not alone on that concern. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,533,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do any of you know in which writing this quote can be found? It is from “On Living Simply,” which is a compilation of quotes from St. John Chrysostom, but the book doesn’t cite the source for the quotes.
a common issue I have heard with that work is it doesn’t have any references. a priest friend doesn’t recommend that book precisely because there’s no way to verify the quotes as legit.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Based on a lead I found in a discussion group I downloaded a copy of On Marriage and Family Life, but could not locate the quote.
I was reading that book multiple times for the past two hours and came to the same conclusion. That said - there are some good pieces of information in the book.

a common issue I have heard with that work is it doesn’t have any references. a priest friend doesn’t recommend that book precisely because there’s no way to verify the quotes as legit.

That makes sense. I see so many quotes online that do not have references to the original source. I would love to see the actual citations of the original work for them!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,533,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That makes sense. I see so many quotes online that do not have references to the original source. I would love to see the actual citations of the original work for them!
Dr David Ford, whose dissertation was on St John, is also skeptical about that work.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dr David Ford, whose dissertation was on St John, is also skeptical about that work.
I definitely trust his opinion on topics like this (and in general)!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟135,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am trying to find the specific writing / location of the following quote from St. John Chrysostom:

That book should be avoided for this reason, since people have tried to find several of the more interesting quotes in that volume in the actual works of St John and don't quite find what they're looking for. That one may exist, but some of the economic ones have not been found.

cf: Facebook and digital bumper stickers

EDIT: and In which St. John Chrysostom shows up on another digital bumper sticker which is more to this point

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟453,163.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the topic in general, I’d like to verify what the saint had to say about remarriage.
Specifically, I read a story about a widow, who asked his advice and his response, basically asking why she would share her bed with another man now that her husband is sitting at the right hand of glory when she wouldn’t do it while he was on earth.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,284,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Only about 1/3 of St John Chrysostom's works have been translated into English (it may be less than that), and it is possible that someone has translated directly from one of those works which only exist in Greek., and considering gzt's post, it may even be a loose paraphrase.

Last edited:
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the topic in general, I’d like to verify what the saint had to say about remarriage.
Specifically, I read a story about a widow, who asked his advice and his response, basically asking why she would share her bed with another man now that her husband is sitting at the right hand of glory when she wouldn’t do it while he was on earth.
I was reading his homily on Ephesians 5:33 when looking at this topic - and this comment was interesting to me.

But what will they say, who are knit together in second marriages? I speak not at all in condemnation of them, God forbid; for the Apostle himself permits them, though indeed by way of condescension.

Perhaps the condescension St. John references is along the lines of St. Paul’s admonition to the unmarried and widows in 1 Corinthians 7:

8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Last edited:
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,097,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Only about 1/3 of St John Chrysostom's works have been translated into English (it may be less than that), and it is possible that someone has translated directly from one of those works which only exist in Greek., and considering gzt's post, it may even be a loose paraphrase.
This is one of many times when I wish I was able to read Greek texts. :)

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟453,163.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was reading his homily on Ephesians 5:33 when looking at this topic - and this comment was interesting to me.

Perhaps the condescension St. John references is along the lines of St. Paul’s admonition to the unmarried and widows in 1 Corinthians 7:
I think it’s the same thing as Christ talking about what God allowed because ofbthe hardness of our hearts. And that’s really a result of fallenness. All kinds of things that should not be are allowed because we are in some ways closed off to God, but if we were to open up, we would see that those things we think we ought to have a right to are not really necessary or even desirable. But we are broken, and want what we want, and God puts up with some things that are not really best for us.

Upvote 0