• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Same Sex Marriage, please cast your vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
From a Christian perspective I vote no on polygamy. Aside from that it isn't an issue here so much.
From a Christian perspective?

Where does the Bible condemn polygamy? I must have missed it. I know that there is a tradition of monogamy in European extracted culture, of which most members are Christian, but that does not mean that monogamy is an inherently Christian ideal, nor that polygamy is contrary to Christianity.

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟19,939.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well.....I use mainly the NT for everything, so, if marriage is between 2 people, then it would make sense for me to have a view based on that. If I claimed to be a Christian (NT) and professed a love for polygamy, that would go against the beleifs that I claim to have. I would not in any way force my Christian values on you or anyone else. BTW, polygamy IS contrary to NT values/beliefs.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Where does the NT say marriage is only between 2 people?

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟19,939.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where does the NT say marriage is only between 2 people?

Where doesn't it? Reread Timothy/Corinthians...actually just read all of the Epistles. Your answers are all there.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Where doesn't it? Reread Timothy/Corinthians...actually just read all of the Epistles. Your answers are all there.
Really? I know there's a bit where Paul says that priests should limit themselves to one wife (implying that other people can have more) but I'm unaware of anything else in Paul's or anyone else's NT writings saying polygamy for the average person is a no no

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟19,939.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Matthew 19:5 "a man leaves his father and mother and is firmly bonded with his wife" Notice how Jesus did not pluralize "wife".

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Matthew 19:5 "a man leaves his father and mother and is firmly bonded with his wife" Notice how Jesus did not pluralize "wife".
Ah, the most misquoted passage in the entire Bible...

That passage is, of course, discussing the specifics of DIVORCE which, necessarily, only occurs between 2 people, a husband and wife, whether or not the husband and wife in question are in fact members of a polygamous union or otherwise.

Maybe if you could find a passage the actual intent of which is to define marriage or quantify the number of partners therein, rather than ascribing meaning to passages which are clearly intended to refer to something else?

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So to go back to something earlier. Is there any particular compelling reason for a non Christian citizen of the United States to adopt a biblical perspective in regards to Gay Marriage?
If we do not then God will smite us. Look to the flaming pits where Canada used to be for proof.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Really/ Obviously you don't live in NSW then... they jump every time the Daily Telegraph says to.

I'm in Sydney

I don't think the NSW government jumps ever time the Tele says so. That implies that the state government actually does something.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.