• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Question about an icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishseventysix

Jude Thaddaeus
May 18, 2006
Portland, OR
Visit site
✟15,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys, I have been trying to understand something for a while now.

If you'll notice, my patron saint, Jude the Apostle, is my avatar. Or, at least, his icon is. Anyhow, it appears in his icon that he's blessing people behind him because he's holding his hand palm-in and making what I assume to be the sign, which is why you see only half of his ring finger?

I've asked around my parish and no one seems to know what it means, if anything at all.

Any guesses?

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not very well known that St Jude was in fact well versed in swing dances. What he is showing there is the "gang sign" for the dance called Balboa, which translates into "doot doot AHHHH doot, " with each finger being a doot and the ring finger down being the AHHH, which are the sounds that audibly demonstrate the rhythm of the steps necessary to complete one basic balboa step.

Or at least, that's how I learned balboa.;)

Honestly, I have no idea. Ive never seen one like that. Anything in his life story?

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟103,091.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He is not blessing people behind him. Icons do not face backward, into the past, but face forward, gazing quietly into eternity. Nothing is to be read into the posture of the hand giving the blessing other than the fact that he is giving a blessing.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟103,091.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tidbit said:
While we're on the subject, in the icon of Jesus (the Pantocrator, I think), He's holding His right hand funny. Like His thumb and pinky finger are together. What does that mean?

In the Pantocrator, as in all icons of Christ, Christ is blessing you with a monogram of his name: ICXC.

Upvote 0

Ilian

Aug 17, 2006
✟15,692.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
tidbit said:
While we're on the subject, in the icon of Jesus (the Pantocrator, I think), He's holding His right hand funny. Like His thumb and pinky finger are together. What does that mean?

He's holding his pinky, ring finger and thumb together to apply a blessing. The Old Believer's still make the sign of the cross in this manner, with those fingers joined and two fingers raised. The raised fingers represent the two natures of Christ.

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟103,091.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
eoe said:
It is not I C X C - it is iota sigma chi sigma

ιησους χριστος

when written in all caps the first and last letters of Jesus Christ in greek look like the english IC XC. The sigma does not look like Σ because it is a final sigma.

How is what you said any different than what I said? IC XC (I can't make the contraction marks on my computer) is the abbreviated Greek form of the name of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟103,091.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
eoe said:
I was simply expanding on your explanation Michael. Take a deep breath bro.

Sorry, it read like you were contradicting me, and I was wondering where the difference was in what we said.

Upvote 0

irishseventysix

Jude Thaddaeus
May 18, 2006
Portland, OR
Visit site
✟15,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Michael the Iconographer said:
He is not blessing people behind him. Icons do not face backward, into the past, but face forward, gazing quietly into eternity. Nothing is to be read into the posture of the hand giving the blessing other than the fact that he is giving a blessing.
So there is no significance in his hand position, which is with its back to us?

I was just saying that it appears like he's blessing behind him, kinda like when our priest is facing our icon of Christ on our iconostasis and blesses the congregation. I forget at what point and in which service he does this. But it was just a guess.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟103,091.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
irishseventysix said:
So there is no significance in his hand position, which is with its back to us?

I was just saying that it appears like he's blessing behind him, kinda like when our priest is facing our icon of Christ on our iconostasis and blesses the congregation. I forget at what point and in which service he does this. But it was just a guess.

No, the hand position is a stylistic element and nothing should be read into it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.