• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Not Everything Needs to Be a Movement

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,019,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Moving to a cottage, dressing in a full lace costume, or wearing a Chanel bag will not bring about your salvation.​

My recent hobby has been overhauling my friends’ (and my colleagues and relations) dressing styles according to TikTok fashion trends. To a strong-willed friend, I suggested that they adopt the “mob wife aesthetic” (faux fur coats, statement jewelry, red lipstick); to a daydreaming romantic colleague, I insisted that they master the “cottagecore” trend (linen dresses, corsets and braided hairstyle) and following an emergency intervention, my boyfriend now obliviously blends different elements of the “eclectic grandpa” and “old money” styles.

As much as I find this game of matching people’s personalities with different styles entertaining (to the extent of renaming every situation, feeling or event based on a TikTok trend), I’ve also been thinking about the underlying reasons for this new online phenomenon. Expressing our belonging to a particular social class, profession, or a religious order by the way we dress is as old as society.

There is no reason to deny our natural instinct to seek security via membership of a smaller community, and to try to distinguish ourselves from other groups we don’t belong to. Moreover, fashion trends have always been present in the life of the upper classes — think of the Ancient Greeks or 18th century France (Marie Antoinette even appointed a “Minister of Fashion” to design the three hundred gowns she required a year).

So, what if anything makes social media trends different?

Continued below.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟828,727.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a knock-about Australian I must be sleepwalking through the tik-tok daisies. I hadn't even heard of "trad wife", and could not afford a $30,000 wood burning stove if my life depended on it which in our climate it doesn't.

It's just gone the last week of winter here and due to a warm spell we've had days up to 34 degrees centigrade (93.2% F) so we haven't got the yuletide fire going. We won't have one going at Christmas either, being slap bang in the middle of summer in our hemisphere.

Meanwhile the workers I've seen around and about haven't been wearing "black leather jackets, tight lace t-shirts, and cargo trousers" and being retired myself I get around in jeans and flannelette shirt (when it's cool enough) and jeans or shorts and T-shirt when it gets a bit warmer.

In Sydney maybe, but not here.

I'll go back to my septuagenarian hibernation. Wake me when its over.

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0