• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Methodist, Nazarene and...Christian & Missionary Alliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟18,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attend a Christian and Missionary Alliance church and have been trying to discern the most appropriate congregational forum for me to post in.

The C&MA comes out of the holiness movement in the late 1800's and it appears that it was influenced by movements that were influenced by the writings of several people including Wesley.

The C&MA started out as a movement, not a denomination, though it slowly evolved into one over about a 100 year span. Because it was originally an alliance movement of like minded Christians who focused on foreign missions, the denomination itself doesn't have a lot of specific doctrinal statements outside of it's statement of faith.

While the statement of faith is a fairly mainstream evangelical statement, it does mention:

It is the will of God that in union with Christ each believer should be sanctified thoroughly thereby being separated from sin and the world and fully dedicated to God, receiving power for holy living and sacrificial and effective service toward the completion of Christ's commission.

This is accomplished through being filled with the Holy Spirit which is both a distinct event and progressive experience in the life of the believer.

The position of the church on communion is that it is more than a simple memorial and something greater and mystical occurs during it, however, we leave it at that.

We aren't non-denominational because we belong to a worldwide denomination, while we influenced the pentecostal movement, we aren't pentecostal and don't encourage speaking in tongues or other charismatic type things.

What I am wondering is, does our holiness heritage combined with our beliefs regarding sanctification and the event of communion put us close enough to Methodist/Nazarene theology that this forum would be a good enough fit for people in the C&MA to do something more than just make "fellowship" posts?

Here is the complete statement of faith:

Link

joyfulthanks

The long day is over. Praise the Lord!
May 4, 2005
✟5,769.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi zoziw,

I only did a quick read through of your statement of faith, but I think you would fit just fine in this forum. The only thing I saw that might be considerably different was #4 - about the scriptures. Here's what I mean. About the scriptures, your statement of faith says:

"They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.1"

The Wesleyan heritage speaks of a quadrilateral when it comes to the rule of Christian faith and practice - scripture, tradition, reason, and experience.

Other than that, I didn't notice anything else, but there are others much more knowledgable than I who can probably better ascertain these things.

Anyway, welcome to Wesley's Parish! I'm glad you're here! :)

-Grace

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many CMA churches share Wesleyan seminaries and have the same heritage.

I would have though that this forum would be the most likely one for you.

The differences in the Statement of Faith would not be any wider than the difference between the Methodist and the Nazarene one, IMHO.

Anyway, what do I know? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.