• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Is Trump the candidate who best represents a Christian worldview? 'Politics in the Pews' podcast explores

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,019,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Donald Trump the candidate who best represents the Christian worldview?

That’s the question at the heart of the first episode of CP's “Politics in the Pews” podcast, titled “Trump Conviction, Political Chaos Spark Historic Election Cycle.” In it, host and Christian Post reporter Ian Giatti asks Evangelical leaders, including Wayne Grudem, Ralph Reed, Samuel Rodriguez, Jason Yates and others about their insights on the 78-year-old Republican presidential nominee.

Continued below.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,191,934.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
An evangelical podcast and evangelical leaders are not a representative sample of Christianity.
There is a progressive Christian group--Sojourners. Representatives of the Poor Peoples Campaign. Mainstream Protestantism.

Get a more diverse group, and let them discuss. Until then, it's just a one-dimensional podcast preaching to its choir with no relevance to a national audience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,330,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
An evangelical podcast and evangelical leaders are not a representative sample of Christianity.
There is a progressive Christian group--Sojourners. Representatives of the Poor Peoples Campaign. Mainstream Protestantism.

Get a more diverse group, and let them discuss. Until then, it's just a one-dimensional podcast preaching to its choir with no relevance to a national audience.

In truth, Fundamentalist Protestants consider us apostates anyways, mostly speaking with venom about our churches, and wouldn't consult our point of view anymore than they would consult a rabbi or an imam. They only consider us Christians when it is politically or culturally convenient to do so: to inflate their numbers or steal away our sheep.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That’s the question at the heart of the first episode of CP's “Politics in the Pews” podcast, titled “Trump Conviction, Political Chaos Spark Historic Election Cycle.” In it, host and Christian Post reporter Ian Giatti asks Evangelical leaders, including Wayne Grudem, Ralph Reed, Samuel Rodriguez, Jason Yates and others about their insights on the 78-year-old Republican presidential nominee.

Continued below.
Between the GOP and the Democratic Party nominees, Donald Trump is the candidate who best represents the Evangelical Christian point of view. Kamala Harris doesn't even come in a close second in my opinion. I believe that there is very little room, if any, for Evangelical Christians in the Democratic Party. On the other hand, it does appear that progressive left liberal Christians are going to always continue to vote for Democratic Party politicians no matter what the policy positions are of those nominees.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,156,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Continued below.
Do these ‘experts’ telling us what to think and who to vote for even know that we are not limited to Trump vs Harris? Neither are more than nominal Christians.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do these ‘experts’ telling us what to think and who to vote for even know that we are not limited to Trump vs Harris? Neither are more than nominal Christians.
I am sure that they know we ain't limited to vote for POTUS with either Trump or Harris. However, those 2 nominees are the only 2 whom have a really good chance at becoming the next POTUS in January. My vote isn't based upon whether or not a candidate is a good Christian.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,156,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am sure that they know we ain't limited to vote for POTUS with either Trump or Harris. However, those 2 nominees are the only 2 whom have a really good chance at becoming the next POTUS in January.
Could that be a chicken and egg sort of thing? Other candidates aren't mentioned because they have no chance of winning because their names really aren't even mentioned.
My vote isn't based upon whether or not a candidate is a good Christian.
I did vote for TWO Mormons in two different presidential elections. Whether they are Christian or not is not an absolute criteria for me. But whether they are actually moral people matters. For that I have to go outside of the two big parties this year. Maybe Vance, but the VP pick doesn't sell me on the presidential pick.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟975,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Continued below.
Setting individuals aside - what about their policies/politics? Which is least offensive/contradictory to the Christian world view.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟121,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Setting individuals aside - what about their policies/politics? Which is least offensive/contradictory to the Christian world view.
100% agreed. I don't vote based upon a nominee's personality or any personal skeletons in the closet. I make my votes based upon the policies of the various nominees.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,191,934.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It depends on what your Christian worldview is.

I have my way of categorizing. Liberals focus on the thou shalts.The sins of omission. They want to change the world.

Conservatives focus on the thou shalt nots. The sins of commission. They want to regulate behavior.

Yes, there is some overlap. Yes, both are important.

I am a thou shalt, sins of omission kind of Christian. I feel guiltier for not doing enough, not helping enough, not loving enough.

I evaluate candidates more on what they strive to do.

If they want to regulate behaviors of others that is less important to me as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟87,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what your Christian worldview is.

I have my way of categorizing. Liberals focus on the thou shalts.The sins of omission. They want to change the world.

Conservatives focus on the thou shalt nots. The sins of commission. They want to regulate behavior.

Yes, there is some overlap. Yes, both are important.

I am a thou shalt, sins of omission kind of Christian. I feel guiltier for not doing enough, not helping enough, not loving enough.

I evaluate candidates more on what they strive to do.

If they want to regulate behaviors of others that is less important to me as a Christian.
I agree what is the "acceptable" Christian worldview? I know for certain it is not fully understood in even the most aware Christian. Seems to me God gives a President after the heart of the people. That is pretty much what he did with King Saul. God also will act in providence for the end times so that might be in play as well in God's choice for an American leader. I could critique both American political parties and Harris or Trump for their policy sins, but I know I am ultimately judged as an individual so I best work on that.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟64,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well...using the term "best represents" doesn't quite make me gag, but if anyone supports a political party and think that party is aligned with their denomination, they are going to be sorely disappointed. At best, the question is which party is least antagonistic to Christianity. That's a far cry from "best represents."

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟309,340.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In truth, Fundamentalist Protestants consider us apostates anyways, mostly speaking with venom about our churches, and wouldn't consult our point of view anymore than they would consult a rabbi or an imam. They only consider us Christians when it is politically or culturally convenient to do so: to inflate their numbers or steal away our sheep.
It's not just fundamentalists who distrust progressive Christians but most Christians who actually believe in Jesus, his miracles and the Trinity. Belief in these things is optional for the progressive 'Christian' because they aren't committed to anything other than progressive liberalism.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟94,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Continued below.
Jesus will rule Christians. King David wasn't a pacifist.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟94,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Could that be a chicken and egg sort of thing? Other candidates aren't mentioned because they have no chance of winning because their names really aren't even mentioned.

I did vote for TWO Mormons in two different presidential elections. Whether they are Christian or not is not an absolute criteria for me. But whether they are actually moral people matters. For that I have to go outside of the two big parties this year. Maybe Vance, but the VP pick doesn't sell me on the presidential pick.
Being Mormon doesn't make a person moral. I should know!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,156,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Being Mormon doesn't make a person moral. I should know!
I know. My point was that I would vote for a decent Christian or a decent non-Christian. I’d also not vpte for a bad Catholic, as I have.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟401,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suppose you might answer the question by asking which of the ten commandments Trump has actually kept.

1“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
3“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
5“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
6“You shall not murder.
7“You shall not commit adultery.
8“You shall not steal.
9“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Well, I guess he hasn't murdered anyone. So 6.. Unless you count Mammon, he has kept 1 and 2. Three out of ten...

• Informative
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2023
Rome
✟8,574.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Continued below.
The best christian way is to be for social well-being(it's the second commandment, take a look at Gal 5, 14..15. However also it means that a christian of this world is free to be more/less christian, but Gal 5, 15 is the minimum to be a christian follower about social well-being...).

Upvote 0