• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Is the human soul immortal?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟148,771.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Plato thought so. Wiki:

Plato considered this essence to be an incorporeal, eternal occupant of a person's being. Plato said that even after death, the soul exists and is able to think. He believed that as bodies die, the soul is continually reborn (metempsychosis) in subsequent bodies.
Plato thought the soul had no beginning and no end. I think all souls have a beginning. They are created by God.

Does the Bible say that human souls have an end?

Christians and philosophers have debated the issue for centuries. Here is my take:

Souls are mortal in two senses.

First, Ezekiel 18:

4 Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.
When a temporal life is finished, his soul or soul data is zipped up and stored. He no longer experiences the passage of time or consciousness.

Second, Matthew 10:

28 do not fear those who kill [G615] the body but cannot kill the soul.
Kill the soul data.

Rather fear him who can destroy [G622] both soul and body in hell.
destroy
Strong's 622: From apo and the base of olethros; to destroy fully, literally or figuratively.

The resurrected soul can be terminated/annihilated/deleted in the Lake of Fire, Revelation 20:

14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
The souls of the good people will be resurrected to live forever.

Is the human soul immortal?

Some are; some are not.

Which souls are immortal?

Those who believe in the gospel of Jesus. 2 Timothy 1:

10 It has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ted-01

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟88,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The gift of God is eternal life. It would not seem practical to give this gift to the unsaved. Also the unsaved are often referred to as perishing and being destroyed. It may be that the idea of conscious eternal torment in hell for the unsaved may have been brought into Christian circles by Augustine and his Neo-Platonism.

Upvote 0